This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Selective Thinking" hurts my own brain in the process

Now working in a bookstore, i've come to expect that anyone can come in with a bizarre request for a book that nobody except for the Local New Age Cult or Mr. Whacko Hermit with hsi own weather-beaten copy would know about. (Just today, I had a guy ask me if there was a book on edible Hawaiian Fishes. Um, I believe that's in a format called a cookbook.)

So call comes in, asks for a certain religious book. Look for it, find it shelved in self-help of all places. But thats not the point. I go back to the line, tell the lady I found the book.

Oh, she wants the version that has a green cover, with a disk in it. Great. So I put her on hold, and look it up on the computer. Nothing matches the description, either in print or OOP. So, I go back to the line and ask "Green Book with a Disk in it?"

"What? I didn't say it was a Green Book with a Disk in it!!" I glance at the phone line lights seeing that i'm the only person on the phone right now and on the correct line, and go back to the lady with the memory problem. "Um, I do recall you asking me for those specific traits of the book." Lady tells me that she never said that, and describes that she was put on hold after being told that we have the book in hand.

Gweh? Fighting the urge to slam the phone down, I tell her we have the book and she hangs up the phone. I recall the events, and I know that nobody had another call on the other lines, and that the womans voice was the same. So now i'm left wondering whether I got a woman that has selective memory, has Multiple Personalities, or was just being a bitch for being a bitches sake.

That or you've had an hallucination. If I had to bet money on this, I'd bet on "being a bitch for being a bitch's sake", though.

Anyway, that must have felt pretty weird.
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
      That or you've had an hallucination. If I had to bet money on this, I'd bet on "being a bitch for being a bitch's sake", though.

Anyway, that must have felt pretty weird.
      Given the fact that most of my troubles is with Religion/New Age/Self-Help/Fitness/Nutrition, and are somehow linked in more ways than one, I'm just wondering how some of these people manage to function day in, day out.

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
        Given the fact that most of my troubles is with Religion/New Age/Self-Help/Fitness/Nutrition, and are somehow linked in more ways than one, I'm just wondering how some of these people manage to function day in, day out.
        I think you just answered yourself...

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
          I think you just answered yourself...
          No, most people with religion books alone don't actively condemn me to hell for working on a Sunday.....or don't give me bizarro reasons as to why they have wiped out our entire stock of NKJV Bibles.

Comment

I am going to be different and say it was Selective thinking.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I'm waiting for Rod Serling to walk into the bookstore.

"Picture if you will - Hon'ya-chan. Mild-mannered bookstore employee, master of dealing with bitches everywhere. But today's bitch is unlike any other, as Hon'ya-chan is forced to sell not only a book, but her very sanity.... to The Twilight Zone."

Comment

I get that at work myself. Customers calls up, asks for an item, usually adding "It's on your website, threfore it's in your store" or something to that effect. We look for it and can't find it. Get back in the phone to tell the customer. Customer gets irate, claiming that "{person} told me that you had it in the store!"

And nine times out of ten, the person they're yelling at is the same person that supposedly told them that we had the item in question.
                "Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding."
                -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

Comment

Working...
                X