This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wants over Needs

For most of my working career I have worked at a motor and drive repair shop. (Except for a brief stint in Retail. Only one SC there. Shocker, I know, but I did have a terrible manager.)

Anyway, while this makes for rare SCs, they do exist. Here is an example of a type that we encounter.

When a pool pump motor quits customers will treat it as an emergency. This means rush shipping, often times after hours. This means a $100 replacement suddenly becomes a $200 replacement. And they are in a panic the whole time. It gets worse if it is during a sunny weekend. We figure we could charge up to $1,000 before they complain.

Now if a well water motor fails, the story is radically different. They haggle the price, they demand the slowest shipping. All they while reeking of BO, wearing clothing with three day old sweat stains. And since their well is out, the entire family stinks, has no clothes, clogged toilets, and no running water. They also wait a few days before committing to a purchase.

And is should be noted that the pool pump motor and the well pump motor are one and the same.
    "Wait... he's alive, but his head's gone..." -Crow

haha look at it from the sucky customers side

they NEED to spend the afternoon soaking in their pool

they only want to shower or flush the loo
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Don't you just LOVE priorities?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh, I dunno, we rushed as fast as we could when we had to redo the pump on our well at the farm, but we filled up the water tank on the motorhome and had a flushing toilet there, and my trainer had a large water tank that we put in the truck bed and filled up at my sister's house up the hill a ways every couple days, so we could back the truck down the barn aisle and fill the horses' buckets and drove into the pens to fill their troughs.

The garden got a little thirsty, though

And I was pretty happy that I'm in an apartment with running water

Comment

Working...
        X