This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, who poured stupid in the water again

Had two "notables" this past week . . . during the first part of my week. Fortunately the rest of the week's been pretty decent. . .

"Notable" One (Monday):

I'm stocking product on the HBA aisle (truck had come in that morning) when out of the corner of my ear I hear a female customer and a young child halfway up the aisle talking:

Child: Do we have mouthwash?
    SC: No, but I'll get it at WM . . . the Litter Box is nothing but a bunch of robbers.

Me (while bent over a tote trying to dig out stuff to work to the shelf) *I don't recall anyone putting a gun to her head to make her shop here*

I raise up and see the back of her at the end of the aisle near the front registers. She turned around and saw me and I simply smiled from ear to ear at her without a word.

She slunk off the aisle without another word . . . talk about letting your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass, she sure did.

"Notable" Two . . . on Tuesday

Started out a quiet day, as I was trying to finish up stocking out stuff that had come in on Monday.

So on the canned vegetable/specialty/International foods aisle a young guy comes up, bundled up in a light gray hooded sweatshirt (hood part over his head, he looked like a monk or something) and starts perusing the Hispanic section that I was trying to restock.

I asked him if he needed any help, but he mumbled something I couldn't understand and walked around me to pick up a couple of small cans of peppers.

I looked over at him and this one had the gall to STUFF THE CANS INSIDE the front pocket of his jacket!!!!!

Me: Excuse me, but you better be taking those out of your shirt. Somebody's gonna think you're trying to steal.

Guy stands there and screws up his face, as if he's making fun of me actually saying something, then hung out on the aisle another moment or two (with me watching him out of the corner of my eye while I stocked.) He put those two cans down, picked up a couple of others and left the aisle.

I start up the opposite end of the aisle, calling for the Grocery Manager, who I had just heard over on the next aisle.

GM pops around the corner, Pocket PC in hand. I ask if he saw the dude in the hoodie walk off the aisle - he did.

I explain what the guy did . . . and we both started checking aisles. GM was surprised that he attempted to conceal product with somebody watching him. We searched one side of the store, then went the opposite direction toward the beer aisle (sometimes, shoplifters will go to the beer aisle to either conceal and/or try to steal more product before leaving the store.)

We see Hoodie Guy come off the drink/chip/snack aisle and get into line at the Express Lane, carrying not only the two cans of peppers that he'd switched and a bag of popcorn. GM walks over to him and tells him to hand over the merchandise in his hand and leave the store.

Hoodie Guy tried to play dumb, as in pretending not to understand what GM was saying. GM told him again "Hand over the product and leave. You can't come back in here. You were seen concealing merchandise in your clothes - you know better than that. Now give me the items and go."

Hoodie Guy surrendered his handful, GM hands me two small cans of hispanic peppers and I go back to stocking while the shoplifter to be left the store. And peace was restored to the Litter Box (or something.)

What a dumbass . . .
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

When was stupid removed form the water?

Comment

While I agree that the guy's behavior was shady, we get that a lot here, particularly with older farmers... they'll put something in their pocket while they continue to shop, then they'll go to the checkout, pull it out, and pay for it. Gives our LPO fits
      Last edited by VComps; 02-01-2009, 05:24 AM. Reason: Edited for stupid.

Comment

VComps...we get the same thing, except with green/frozen bags. Gives our security people fits.

And DGoddess...I think the stupid is being beamed onto the people down here
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          . . . talk about letting your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass, she sure did.
          Since I stopped living down South, sometimes I really miss the colorful vernacular.
          Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

I haven't had a problem using my green bag as a shopping basket, maybe that's because the grocery store sells them (and it seems like there are never enough baskets anyway).
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Hoodie Guy surrendered his handful, GM hands me two small cans of hispanic peppers and I go back to stocking while the shoplifter to be left the store.
              He might not have been a shoplifter TO BE. He might have actually shoplifted. I'll explain.

I know that when I was a little thief (junior high, over 20 years ago, long past that), I would often buy something little while concealing other things within my clothing. I figured (apparently correctly) that they would not think I was stealing if I was actually buying something. Of course, I was far slicker than Hoodie was, so they never suspected a thing.

So there is the possibility that, after being semi-busted by you, he went up to the register to pay for the three things in his hand....but had several more within his hoodie. If so, your manager saved him money. Personally, since the guy had been caught trying to pocket stuff, I don't think your manager would have been out of line to have Hoodie empty his pockets.

Just a little lesson in how to beat a thief from a former thief.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                He might not have been a shoplifter TO BE. He might have actually shoplifted. I'll explain.

I know that when I was a little thief (junior high, over 20 years ago, long past that), I would often buy something little while concealing other things within my clothing. I figured (apparently correctly) that they would not think I was stealing if I was actually buying something. Of course, I was far slicker than Hoodie was, so they never suspected a thing.

So there is the possibility that, after being semi-busted by you, he went up to the register to pay for the three things in his hand....but had several more within his hoodie. If so, your manager saved him money. Personally, since the guy had been caught trying to pocket stuff, I don't think your manager would have been out of line to have Hoodie empty his pockets.

Just a little lesson in how to beat a thief from a former thief.
                We were suspecting that he might have had something else stashed that we didn't see him pick up - but in our store, if we even see you attempt to conceal anything - we can and will kick you out. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

So he may very well have gotten away with something but OTOH, if he'd come back into the store after that and slipped away with something every time - we would have lost even more money in the long run.

While I personally can't ask someone to GTFU of my store if I see them trying to steal, I can sure find a manager who will - and have a good time doing so.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                  When was stupid removed form the water?
                  well sometimes it gets concentrated...

Comment

Okay, who poured stupid in the water again
                    See, this is why I have a filter on my tap.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      well sometimes it gets concentrated...
                      Yeah! When it doesn't rain for a while! (Or something?)

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      See, this is why I have a filter on my tap.
                      We've got one of those filter pitchers here. Works well.
                      Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 02-03-2009, 04:40 AM. Reason: adding smartaleck-ery.
                      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                      -----
                      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                      X