This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reptales from the show...

I have a few tales from the reptile show this weekend. Names and details have been changed/omitted to protect the not-so-innocent.

Hahaha. Not.

I breed a type of snake that comes in many different colors. As such, I get lots of inquiries about what kinds of snakes I have. I made a sign that said, "Yes, we are all <species>." to attempt to ward off ignorance.

The result was less than successful. I wound up with no less than half a dozen people who thought it was hilarious to read the sign, and then ask me, "Are these snakes all <species>?"

Recognition Problems

My friend helped me out at the booth and also brought a couple of her snakes to sell: ball pythons. Ball pythons are one of the most common pet snakes out there, including at pet stores, and are also popular for breeders because the higher-end morphs are expensive and they can demand more money for them.

I lost count of the number of people who stopped by the table and went, "Nice-looking boas there!" >.<

Yes, because flaunting the law is fun

Along the same lines, I had at least 3 fathers with little boys come up and ask me if there were any "poisonous" snakes at the show.

Number 1, it's venomous. Poisonous refers to your ability to digest the critter. Venomous refers to the ability to somehow inject toxins into you.

Number 2, it's illegal to keep venomous snakes in Colorado. Zoos are a special case, and have to have all sort of precautions. Even if it were legal, you aren't going to see them sitting out on tables in deli cups and no, your kid can't hold one.

I am not allowed to mock this guy's manhood

I sold a few used reptile supplies, and this guy was looking for a container for his something-or-other. The only container I had that would meet his needs was too pink for machoness to withstand.

After circling the show at least three times, the guy finally came back and bought it, because I either had the only thing that would work, or had the cheapest one available.

I was informed by said guy that I was not allowed to make fun of him for purchasing said pink container.

Therefore I shall mock him for making a big deal about it.

The "I-have-6-boas" lady

So there was one lady at the show who stayed the entire time. Near the beginning of the show, she stopped by and was trying to make conversation.
    It went something like this:

IH6B Lady: "I have 6 boas." *holds up 6 fingers*

Me: "Ahh, nice."

IH6B Lady wanders off.

Every once in a while she would wander by, and if there was someone standing infront of my booth, she would come up and talk to them.

IH6B Lady: "I have 6 boas." *holds up 5-6 fingers*

It got old fast. >.<

Different species of snake

There was one lady who had her terminology completely confused.
    FYI for anyone who isn't aware, the term "hybrid" refers to a critter that comes from two different species of critter somewhere down the line.
    A "morph" is a specific appearance (or specific combination of genes that affect appearance). The term is loosely equivalent to "breed" when referring to dogs, but generally morphs are composed of 1-4 genes which affect color and/or pattern (though some are selectively bred).

Anyway, this lady comes up and starts asking me if my snakes are all hybrids.

I inform her that no, they're all pure <species> as far as I know, just different colors.

She then starts pointing to the morph names and asking, "What do you get if you breed this species with that species?"

>.<
    Last edited by Ree; 02-01-2009, 11:51 PM.

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
    She then starts pointing to the morph names and asking, "What do you get if you breed this species with that species?"
    If you breed a yellow morph with a red morph, do you get an orange morph?

Sorry
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Mighty morphin' Power Rangers.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Mighty morphin' Power Rangers.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
        You mean Mighty Morphin' PYTHON Rangers.

They fart in your general direction.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post

That was good
          Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

If you breed a yellow morph with a red morph, do you get an orange morph?
            See, THAT I would be happy to answer. But she couldn't even get basic terminology right. The different colors are NOT separate species, but that's how she was referring them to. >.<

Comment

Even with dogs, they aren't species, they're breeds.

Admittedly, the logistics of interbreeding some pairs of dog breeds doesn't bear thinking about. But it's biologically plausible if the logistics are overcome...

Comment

I was informed by said guy that I was not allowed to make fun of him for purchasing said pink container.
                if it was that big of a deal he should ahve said it was for his girlfriend or daughter or something like that.

O gawd...
                So that's where all those Newts come from! The Mighty Morphin Python Rangers created them (hopefully from SCs!)

Comment

i wanna go to a reptile show!

and really?? what kind of parent would allow their child to hold a venomous animal?????
                  sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. - Kusanagi

Comment

Coral snakes DO fart when they're threatened. Oddly they have an anus that can inhale.

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                      Coral snakes DO fart when they're threatened. Oddly they have an anus that can inhale.

This is why I come here. To learn interesting stuff like this.

Comment

I watched a documentary about them a couple of years ago. That's the only part of it i can remember.

Comment

Oddly they have an anus that can inhale.
                          Hey... just like the SCs... only theirs are usually part of their faces...

Comment

California Kingsnakes will poop on their own tail and fling it at you.

Comment

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
                              See, THAT I would be happy to answer. But she couldn't even get basic terminology right. The different colors are NOT separate species, but that's how she was referring them to. >.<
                              So...can you?

I freely admit I don't know how snake genetics work, but I do know that crossing a brown tabby with a straight silver cat gets you a silver tabby at least once in a while. (Of course, mixing a brown tabby with a gay silver cat just gets you strange looks. ...I can't tell you how often my gay friends make that joke when I refer to one-tone cats as "straight X color." Curse my colorful Southern terminology.)
                              "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Working...
                              X