This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting Tales of Interest [Eh, not really...]

Okay! More tales of suck from your favorite cadet from the southwest!! [If I’m not, I’d better be :P]

Math≠Me

Okay, so, I picked a liberal arts major for a reason; I hate math. I know SC’s don’t know this about me, but still…

Me: Hiya
    SC: discount whore
    CW: friend I’m ‘relieving’

[note: this is the first thing that happens as I clock in and get told I’ll be at CS, which has a ginormous line]

SC: I wanna know if I can get this purse discounted.

Me: Hrm, gimme a sec [turns to CW] She says it’s damaged, we can only do 10%, right?

CW: Might be able to do 20…call J[MOD]
    I call J and she eventually approves the 20% discount. I hang up and turn back to SC

Me: Ma’am, we can give you a 20% discount.

SC: And how much is that?

Me: [Hell if I know…] Hrm, it’s 28.99…so 10% would be 2.89-ish and 20% off would be double…a little over five dollars?

SC: That’s all?

Me: Yup [Unless my math is wrong, ]

SC ends up leaving it behind, but c’mon, a purse that was originally $60-70 and we’re selling for $28, and you’ll get it for $23, and you still think you’re getting jipped?

Shenanigans!!

As the night is wrapping up, I’m cleaning up the mess at my register when the phone rings. The awesome Loss Prevention officer, R, answers it for me. After a brief convo, he turns to me.

R: Hey, Hobbs, did you shortchange a guy $10 dollars earlier?

Me: No, I call shenanigans!

R: [chuckle] Sir, lemme get the Manager.

So J comes along and explains that she’ll count my register to check and for the SC to call back. Sure enough, she counts it and my register isn’t over $10.

Me: See? Told ya….shenanigans!

Er…Pardon…?

My second customer of the day on Saturday, and I’m ringing her up at a pretty good pace. From the lady behind her I hear a sigh and she looks at me.

SC: Hurry up….[kinda under her breath]

Me: Pardon?

SC: No, I just wondered if you could go faster…I have somewhere to be.
    Not my problem, lady. You decided to come in here for your crap on a weekend…

Me: Oh, I see…[begins to take off hangars and sizing nubs slooooowly and deliberately, looking the SC straight in the eye.]

Grow the Frak up, please!!

I’m happily[sic] working on register when one of my CW’s walks up, putting a perfume in the cubby area of my register.

CW: It’s for that man there, argh….

Me: O_o

The guy seems a bit ‘off’ but not too intolerable. Until he starts inviting me to go eat lunch etc. with him and his family. I smile vaguely [I hate to smile] and nod a bit, doing a “That’d be nice…uh-huh…sure…” deal.

Then…the guy starts talking to his Sancha’s who-has. No, I mean it, right there in line, saying kinda gross stuff I don’t wanna know. Bear in mind that their offspring are with them. God has not created enough brain bleach for this moment.

The kicker was when he asked me something about “marriage.” Considering it was V-Day, I suppose it was a joke at my expense-though, he had a teen-agish daughter with him who seemed kinda embarrassed. If it was the latter, the comment was both childish and so very wrong…

Barista

So…the other night I was sent on a Starbucks-run, and it generated a question as I was chatting up the barista. Considering all the “don’t hit on me” posts…is there a proper time/way to hit on a worker? Note that I didn’t do anything that night, I was just making idle talk as she worked on our order. sorry if this question is inapropriate, i just wanted some CS input.

Quoth Hobbs View Post
    Barista

So…the other night I was sent on a Starbucks-run, and it generated a question as I was chatting up the barista. Considering all the “don’t hit on me” posts…is there a proper time/way to hit on a worker? Note that I didn’t do anything that night, I was just making idle talk as she worked on our order. sorry if this question is inapropriate, i just wanted some CS input.
    I would think, sometime when they're not at work. I'm sure the others here can come up with a less creepy way of saying it, but something along the lines of, "You seem like a nice person. When do you get off work?" would probably be as far as you ought to take it while they're at work.

edited to expand:
    The thing is, hitting on someone when they're at work leaves them feeling pressured and uncomfortable, because they don't have any way to retreat; they can't leave to get away if you are bothering them. Also, they're pressured to say something nice rather than simply saying 'fuck off' if that's how they really feel. So it's a lose-lose situation. It makes you look like a skeeze, it puts them in an awkward position, and to top it off, you can't be sure if they're saying something polite because they're interested or simply because they can't get away with burying an axe in you right now.
    Last edited by Arm; 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM.
    "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

I've never hit on any girls except on the internet, but what i've always read and heard was definitely dont do it at work if you can avoid it.

Comment

Most workplaces strongly discourage CW-CW relationships (pretty much for the reasons above), and often outright prohibit CW-Manager relationships, due to the obvious possibility of favoritism. If you reeeeealy like this person...? Ask them when you're both off the clock. Maybe ask them to a group event (bunch of buddies going to a movie etc) so they can feel "safe".

*abrupt tangent change* Just curious, why the "[sic]" in there? I know what it means, I was just wondering why you used it there. Sorry, fellow Liberal Arts major, here
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If it's a girl who you met while she's at work and you're not?

That's a difficult one. I know a guy who wrote his phone number on a little slip of paper with 'call me or don't, up to you' on it, but that always seemed a little creepy to me.

Really it's best to do it when she's off the clock if possible, but if there's no other choice... wait till it's not busy, preface it with 'look, feel free to tell me to go to hell if you want, it's your call, but...' and ask her somewhere neutral when she's off the clock.
          Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

In steps the English major!

[sic] is a latin abbreviation, short for "He said it." It is used after an uncommon or incorrect spelling or usage is rewritten verbatim, to indicate the error was in the original.

People sometimes come up with the backronym "Spelled In Correctly."
            Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
              [sic] is a latin abbreviation, short for "He said it." It is used after an uncommon or incorrect spelling or usage is rewritten verbatim, to indicate the error was in the original.
              I was wondering what that meant! Thanks!

As for the Cute Barista, I'd wait until I'd gotten to know her a bit through the idle talks you two have while waiting for your coffee. After a bit, you can ask her "Since we seem to get along so well, why don't we go do something together?"

DON'T GO FOR COFFEE! If I ever worked at a coffee place I'd probably loathe coffee by the end of the day.
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                I was wondering what that meant! Thanks!

As for the Cute Barista, I'd wait until I'd gotten to know her a bit through the idle talks you two have while waiting for your coffee. After a bit, you can ask her "Since we seem to get along so well, why don't we go do something together?"

DON'T GO FOR COFFEE! If I ever worked at a coffee place I'd probably loathe coffee by the end of the day.
                ahaha, well, I know not to ask her out to coffee. I'm not that dumb :P

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                  Me: [Hell if I know…] Hrm, it’s 28.99…so 10% would be 2.89-ish and 20% off would be double…a little over five dollars?

SC: That’s all?

Me: Yup [Unless my math is wrong, ]

SC ends up leaving it behind, but c’mon, a purse that was originally $60-70 and we’re selling for $28, and you’ll get it for $23, and you still think you’re getting jipped?
                  *must... resist... calculator..... brain......GAH!!!* Its over six dollars it s a total of 5.78 (slicey-edit- my brain failed due to sleep depo) so her total before tax would 23.20
                  Last edited by Sliceanddice; 02-18-2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    *must... resist... calculator..... brain......GAH!!!* Its over six dollars it s a total of 5.78 (slicey-edit- my brain failed due to sleep depo) so her total before tax would 23.20
                    Wow, so my random guess was only off my .20 cents...? O_O

Comment

speaking of english major things....

what the heck is a Sancha’s who-has?
                      and why is he talking to it/them?

i googled it and found an entry for "Sancho" being a guy who has women on the side... or "the other man"
                      am I about right?
                      Last edited by PepperElf; 02-18-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        speaking of english major things....

what the heck is a Sancha’s who-has?
                        and why is he talking to it/them?

i googled it and found an entry for "Sancho" being a guy who has women on the side... or "the other man"
                        am I about right?
                        Sancha is the feminine form. In Spanish, words ending in -o are male, and words ending in -a are female.

Ex: el pistolero=the gunman
                        la pistola=the pistol

There's more complicated rules, but this is the gist.

Comment

As for hitting on someone at work, I think it just depends on how it's done.

My boyfriend and I work in the same store (different departments), and we met at work.

He just asked if I wanted to hang out sometime, and then I found him on myspace, and added him. Then we started talking and eventually hung out, started dating, etc.

But he never pursued it at work, he was just very friendly and nice.

It can be hard at work when you're stuck behind a counter and someone is drilling into you, and you can't walk away or make an excuse.

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
                            In steps the English major!

Same here. This would call for a fist bump, but we're supposed to be stereotypically uncoordinmated that we'd probably mess *that* up...Where was I? Oh yeah. I did not see any error in his line before the [sic]...That's why I asked.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Same here. This would call for a fist bump, but we're supposed to be stereotypically uncoordinmated that we'd probably mess *that* up...Where was I? Oh yeah. I did not see any error in his line before the [sic]...That's why I asked.
                              The error is "happily", meaning that he was in fact not, but that's what he *said*. Happily is being noted as an error.
                              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                              X