This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop pressing your bloody call bell

Snooty woman in fur coat and her daughter on a flight today.

Woman pressed call bell when we were still strapped in for take-off wanting TISSUES. Even though it was really bumpy and we were sat down and the seatbelt sign was on.

Throughout the 50 minute flight she pressed her call bell about 5 times for us to come and collect her rubbish etc

I wish that people would use their call bells in emergencies only.
    No longer a flight atttendant!

Good god. Hate people like that.

That's why I cheat and use the sick bags in the seat pockets as a "rubbish bag" for tissues, food wrappers, etc. Then I remember to take it off the plane with me when we've landed.

And the only time I've ever pressed a call bell was when I accidently nudged it with my hip while trying to cuddle up and go to sleep...

Comment

Don't you wish some days you could get away with saying "put your finger near that bell again and I'll break it off and shove it up your ass thank you have a nice flight".

OT - I once got on a flight where each seat had no less than 5 airsick bags. It was a Dash8 and a 45 min flight. The people I was with lost their minds before we even took off.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
        Don't you wish some days you could get away with saying "put your finger near that bell again and I'll break it off and shove it up your ass thank you have a nice flight".
        I think it in my head all the time. I hate my job!
        No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

A good friend of mine used to be a Stewardess / Hostess / Flight Attendant / Whatever the PC term is for the position now. She used to rant and rave about people like that.

Because we're evil, rotten smart asses, we would mimic that sound as best we could to get her attention. When she left her job with the airline to be a full time Martial Arts instructor, we learned our lessons

CH
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

You're starting to remind me of the hostess in the NicoDerm commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU0U0sviKOw
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

This post needs more callbell (mangled Blue Oyster Cult reference)

Comment

Only time I have ever pressed the button was when I needed to request something (some extra napkins for my daughter, I think) that I couldn't get myself. I always hold all my trash until the flight attendant comes through the cabin with the trash bag.

What planes have the call button at hip-level? Every plane I've been on has it up on the ceiling next to the light buttons.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  What planes have the call button at hip-level? Every plane I've been on has it up on the ceiling next to the light buttons.
                  Most all larger commercial aircraft (ala Boeing 747, 777 etc) have controls on the armrest. I live in Japan and fly back to the U.S. regularly, every plane I've flown on internationally always has those call buttons either on the little remote control or armrest in some form/fashion. That said, I rarely, if ever use the call button.. I'd usually wait until someone came close enough to me to ask for assistance.

Comment

Yeah, typically the larger jet planes like the Boeing models have them on inside of the armrest, within hip range, so to speak. Plus, I am not a tiny girl, so...I managed to bump it.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                      You're starting to remind me of the hostess in the NicoDerm commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU0U0sviKOw
                      OMG, thanks for posting that! That video gave me the biggest laugh!
                      Certifiable Interior Designer
                      (Passed the NCIDQ Exam - Summer 2008)

It's hard to shoot zombies with a cat on your lap!

Comment

Quoth Angry_Hippie View Post
                        This post needs more callbell (mangled Blue Oyster Cult reference)
                        I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more call bell.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've always wondered when it was appropriate to use the call bell. I don't take very long flights and it seems on those short ones the flight attendants are always on their feet anyhow. I've gotten up to get assistance from them (not when the seat belt light was on - I'm an incredible rule follower) and patiently waited for when they were coming by anyhow. When does one use that little call bell?
                          Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

I get really bad motion sickness so I have used the call button a couple of times but only if I needed some sprite or a montion sickness bag and couldn't wait.

Comment

Only time I have ever pressed the button was when I needed to request something (some extra napkins for my daughter, I think) that I couldn't get myself. I always hold all my trash until the flight attendant comes through the cabin with the trash bag.
                              Quoth bloodrose View Post
                              I've always wondered when it was appropriate to use the call bell.
                              Quoth tigger222 View Post
                              I get really bad motion sickness so I have used the call button a couple of times but only if I needed some sprite or a montion sickness bag and couldn't wait.
                              I don't think anyone should have to apologize for actually using a call bell. It serves a purpose.

The problem lies in when the thing is used excessively, like for people who feel they are the only people on the plane.

Worrying about using the call bell, just in case you inconvenience the flight attendant, is similar to worrying about taking something off a shelf to buy it because you're making work for someone who has to refill it.

Flight attendants aren't there simply to stand and smile when passengers get on and off the plane, or just to get free rides across the world. They are there to assist passengers, and that's why the call bell exists.

I only flew once in my life, but it was a trip to Australia, and while there, we flew over to Tasmania.
                              I went from never having been on a plane to having been on 7 different flights by the time I was done, and on 2 flights, it was about a 16 hour flight.

I only saw one person abuse the call bell in that whole time, and it was on the last flight home.

By sheer coincidence, the lady turned out to be one of our sucky customers from the store, and she used to go to my niece to have her hair done and she was a sucky customer there, too.

There was a storm as we were flying in, and when we finally landed, they had recalled the ground crew because it wasn't safe for them.

We had to sit on the plane for close to an hour before we could leave. This lady was annoying to me, hitting her damn call bell every 5 minutes, wanting to know how much longer we would be, and then making a fuss because her companion had medication that needed to be taken at a certain time.

If I was ready to toss my carry-on bag at her head, I can only imagine how the flight attendants felt.

So, yeah, don't feel guilty about using the services provided or expecting someone to do the job they are paid to do, but don't abuse the services, either.
                              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                              X