This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal cruelty.

So, as I said in my intro thread, I work for one of those two major pet supplies chains in the US. We sell hamsters. All the hamsters have a 15 day health warranty. It says right there on the form that the warranty does not cover injuries or the effects of neglect. Why should it? The hamster wasn't injured or suffering from neglect when the customer bought it.

Well, one day I was in the back room when another employee brought in a sick hamster. She said a customer retrned it because it was sick though she could tell it looked like it had a broken back. I went to talk to the customer and explained that this looked like a case of injury and thus while we would be glad to take the hamster and provide what medical care we could, we couldn't refund his money. He even admitted that he thought his kids may have injured the hamster and that he was returning it to teach them resposnibility. Oh, here's the kicker. The asst mgr gave him a refund anyway.

I would have taught my kids a lesson not by returning the hamster. I would have made them take it to the vet to have it euthanized and I would have made them watch it die. They're the ones who mortally wounded it after all. But no, it had to become our problem that they killed it.

I set the little guy up and got him to eat some liquid herbivore formula. We were going to get him to the vet the next day. He was dead the next morning.

-Bacopa

Quoth Bacopa View Post
    Oh, here's the kicker. The asst mgr gave him a refund anyway.
    I can kind of agree with him, depending on his reasoning. If he would have refused the return, the customer probably would have taken the hamster back home, where it surely died. I'm guessing that the manager allowed the return so that the hamster would be safe at your store, where he might have a fighting chance.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Bacopa View Post
      All the hamsters have a 15 day health warranty. It says right there on the form that the warranty does not cover injuries or the effects of neglect.
      Wait a second. Pets come with warranties now? I mean, I know it's been a while since I've done any pet shopping, but I was FULLY unaware of this change. What other animals come with warranties? Can I get extended warranties on them, too?

Or maybe I should open a pet store and offer extended warranties for the animals...
      There's GOT to be some money to be made here somehow...

(Legal Disclaimer: Hawaiian Shirts is only ruminating here. He does not condone any mistreatment of pets or other animals, particularly not for the purpose of monetary gain.)

Actually, I think having pets come with warranties just goes to show how letigious (lawsuit-happy) our culture has become. A promise that the pet you buy from X store will not be sick is a reasonable promise. A reasonable person who bought an animal from X store that turned out to be sick within the next few days could expect a refund or exchange or reimbursement for medical treatment for the animal or something along those lines. It's those unreasonable types who make the rest of the world's population scratch its collective head at the thought of pet warranties, because, thanks to them, reason now has to have specific limits and be set down in writing that consists mosty of 8pt font or smaller.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post

Actually, I think having pets come with warranties just goes to show how letigious (lawsuit-happy) our culture has become. A promise that the pet you buy from X store will not be sick is a reasonable promise. A reasonable person who bought an animal from X store that turned out to be sick within the next few days could expect a refund or exchange or reimbursement for medical treatment for the animal or something along those lines. It's those unreasonable types who make the rest of the world's population scratch its collective head at the thought of pet warranties, because, thanks to them, reason now has to have specific limits and be set down in writing that consists mosty of 8pt font or smaller.
        I registered just to respond to this...
        Actually, the high-end, reputable breeder pets come with warranties. The better/best breeders have lifetime warranties against genetic defects, mid-range breeders have warranties for a few years (2-5), and at low-end, backyard breeders, you get no warranty and no guarantee that your dog is healthy or has a good parentage. These types of breeders, though, breed confirmation dogs, so things like pedigree and a clean bill of health are necessary.
        The dogs with the great warranties, though, are going to cost thousands of dollars, and not just because they come with a guarantee, either. You want a nice dog, you pay for a nice dog. Same as a car.
        I'll save you rants about how crappy pet store and Amish breeders are, though.

Comment

That poor little hamster!!!!!!!!!

I hope that man has learned his lesson and won't get his children any pets for a good long time.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

i'm betting that this 'uberfather' will cave into his spawn's screams for a pet and reward them with something a bit more durable, like a puppy.

i feel for the dog.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Hamsters and small children do NOT mix. Even cats and small children, and small dogs. Children can be VERY rough, and depending on their age, they don't always realize how rough they are (I'm talking toddlers and preschoolers here). The only animal I'd let around children that age are larger Retrievers - golden, chocolate, black... (that, and they're the most non-vicious creatures ever). They withstand the tormenting of children, and they're big enough to where the kid really can't hurt them. Hamsters are just too fragile.
              Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

That poor little hamster.

Possibly the Dad didn't know the injury was fatal?

With little, little kids it can be devastating to say, "You were mean to the hamster and made the hamster sick. The hamster doesn't want to live here and play with you anymore so I'm taking it away."
                "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth steviededalus View Post
                  The better/best breeders have lifetime warranties against genetic defects,
                  Does anyone else find this canine eugenics thing as creepy as I do? Of course we've been doing it since the beginning of time.
                  You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling I'll be seeing that family on Animal Cops sometime in the future?
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I was going to say something similar to steviededalus.

My cats (abyssinians) came with 7 year guarentees. They are 6 and have been very healthy and very well tamed since I got them.

Oh and I think the hamster thing is sad. I've liked small animals for a long time and it's a shame they are still sold at pet stores.
                      Last edited by Trisnic; 10-31-2006, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                        Does anyone else find this canine eugenics thing as creepy as I do? Of course we've been doing it since the beginning of time.
                        Not at all. You breed out the bad, breed in the good.
                        Most people would think twice or thrice if they were told with 100% certainty that they're child would be born with serious, debilitating diseases. Same principle.

Problem is that people breed dogs when they shouldn't; the pedigrees are crap, they overbreed, or they just don't take care of their dogs.

Comment

That is so sad.

Rabbits are the same when it comes to kids. They are not for younger children.

I am 31 and I finally got a bunny. I think I am mature enough now.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                            I can kind of agree with him, depending on his reasoning. If he would have refused the return, the customer probably would have taken the hamster back home, where it surely died. I'm guessing that the manager allowed the return so that the hamster would be safe at your store, where he might have a fighting chance.
                            But I did offer just to take the hamster off his hands with no refund. His kids killed it, he shouldn't have recieved any money.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                              i'm betting that this 'uberfather' will cave into his spawn's screams for a pet and reward them with something a bit more durable, like a puppy.

i feel for the dog.
                              I fear you are correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X