This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I didn't think that flight attendants got ear pain."

I'm off work with 'flu and was taken a bit ill on my last flight. My ears were blocked and I couldn't hear, felt like crap so sat down on my jumpseat the entire flight sniffing vicks, crying with pain almost.

Some weirdo started talking to me and said "oh I didn't think stewardesses got ear pain...I mean you guys fly all the time right...you must be used to it."

Yeah I'm a robot flight attendant who never gets ill.

Seriously, what planet are these morons on?
    No longer a flight atttendant!

Sorry to hear you're sick. I hope you get better soon. And just in case you don't, for the next asshat that comments like that...sneeze on 'em.

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
      I'm off work with 'flu and was taken a bit ill on my last flight. My ears were blocked and I couldn't hear, felt like crap so sat down on my jumpseat the entire flight sniffing vicks, crying with pain almost.

Some weirdo started talking to me and said "oh I didn't think stewardesses got ear pain...I mean you guys fly all the time right...you must be used to it."

I hope you are feeling better. Even though the guy was not very clear and obviously somewhat of an idiot, I think he was referring to the normal discomfort many people feel in a pressurized environment.
      Tamezin

Comment

i know exactly how you feel, a few years back my grandmother died and i flew out to the funeral. while i was there i developed a lovely sinus infection that closed my ears off. the flight back was agony, untill we hit a preasure shift and dropped 500 feet. thats when my eardrum burst. let the presure off but had me in tears. hope you get better soon.
        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Of course he thinks that. To some customers we are merely there to help them and not get sick. If we do get sick and go to work because we can't afford to miss it and we try our best to be polite and friendly, they give us attitudes like "How dare you get sick?!" or "I don't care if you're sick!"
          Many times in the past I had to hold my tongue against customers like that. And believe me, when I went to work not feeling 100%, I was in a much more irritable mood.
          Get better soon btw

Comment

Of course, they think that.

After all, flight attendants aren't real people, are they?

They never get a cold. They never have a bad day.

They have bionic arms that can hoist their huge bags into the overhead places with no effort at all.

When they leave the plane, they get wrapped up in tissue paper like Barbie Dolls until it's time for their next flight.

Wrong!

No matter where they work, people are people just like the people who buy the fares or the people who buy the meals. Unfortunately, too few people recognize that we are all the same.
            Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

But I thought all flight attendants were elves?

Comment

you mean you dont live on the plane!?!?!?!

Thats the reason I couldnt be a flight attendant, I have terrible ear pain when I fly (only when the plane is desending to land) but its so bad Ive thought I would blow and ear drum.
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I have VERY sensitive ears so I know I can't become a flight attendant. When I was going from New York to Florida, my ears hurt really bad and I was crying of pain. Even on the NYC transit trains, I sometimes feel my left ear clogging up. My left ear is particulary sensitive. I even have to wear earmuffs in very cold temperature or I will get a ear ache or infection. It's really annoying.

Comment

Ear pressure pain is horrible as in "I'll stab the next person who talks to me in the eye" bad. I hope you feel better!
                    I'm still crossing my fingers that you find something on the ground that you enjoy. Maybe you should start musing within earshot of the powers that be "I wonder if there is a flight attendant version of going postal?". That might get you a job that is not only on the ground but far away from idiot passengers.

Comment

Get better soon *sends lots of hugs and electric blankets*

And was up with that guy? Someone obviously never passed high school.....
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

When my daughter flew to Washington DC for her 8th grade class trip, her eardrum ruptured on takeoff from Indianapolis. At the parents' meeting before the trip, we were told that because of the size of the plane, that there would be no ear problem, but just in case, they could chew gum during takeoff and landing. Since they got home really late at night, they also said that calling off sick the next day would not be tolerated. Guess who took on the administration over that one. Poor kid - for about a week all she could do was take Darvocet every four hours and sleep with her ear on a heating pad.
                        "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                          I'm still crossing my fingers that you find something on the ground that you enjoy. Maybe you should start musing within earshot of the powers that be "I wonder if there is a flight attendant version of going postal?". That might get you a job that is not only on the ground but far away from idiot passengers.
                          Hmmm well I'm applying for other non customer/passenger related things

I do like your idea though!

Quoth freeatlast View Post
                          When my daughter flew to Washington DC for her 8th grade class trip, her eardrum ruptured on takeoff from Indianapolis. At the parents' meeting before the trip, we were told that because of the size of the plane, that there would be no ear problem, but just in case, they could chew gum during takeoff and landing. Since they got home really late at night, they also said that calling off sick the next day would not be tolerated. Guess who took on the administration over that one. Poor kid - for about a week all she could do was take Darvocet every four hours and sleep with her ear on a heating pad.
                          The school was seriously misinformed on the size of the plane thing! You can get ear problems on any plane, some, mainly the older ones with wonky pressure will be even worse.

Thanks for the get well soon messages people. I'm on days off now anyway (typical) and back in on Monday for a nice 3 day trip to Madrid AND yay it's 20 degrees and sunny there! (It's currently 8 degrees and cloudy here) But I have to survive the flight first...
                          Last edited by Broomjockey; 03-11-2009, 06:18 PM. Reason: multi-quote
                          No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

oooh, I feel your pain, Katie... I flew to London in January and on the way there I had a HIDEOUS cold and my ears were badly stuffed up... on landing at Heathrow the pain was so intense that... well, let's just say it's a very good thing that they don't allow sharp objects or firearms on a flight, as I'd be pondering some rather extreme forms of pain relief.

Customs was fun, though... couldn't hear a word they were saying.

Comment

Aww you poor dear,
                              You might try some of the self heating pads. When my ears get cranky because of sinus problems I grap one of the Hot Hands pads and hold it at the ear and just below, some how the heat help with drainage.

Yes i'm babbling, half past bedtime.

Feel better soon and good luck with the job hunt.
                              Meeeeoooow.....
                              Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Working...
                              X