Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Ali! Fabulous He! Ali Ababwa...

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. And you didn't have a childhood if you don't recognize this.

Tuesday through Thursday I have dealt with this guy who we have nicknamed Prince Ali. I had Tuesday off, so we had a coworker come down and cover for me.

I get in on Wednesday and call him to see what happened that day and he starts laughing, telling me of an SC he had.

A couple pulled up in a blue Camry (economy car, for those on the other side of the pond) and entered the store. They were Arabian, as the guy was fully dressed like a sheik. Turban, long robes, everything. His wife was dressed in robes from head to toe, only exposing her eyes. Now you get the picture.

He says he's kind and cordial, and finds a piece he wants. It's a ten foot sectional for a thousand dollars. Marked down from twelve hundred. He likes it...and then here comes the haggling.

According to my coworker, he tried to haggle EVERYTHING. He didn't want to pay that much for the furniture. He didn't want to pay delivery. He didn't want to pay sales tax. He wanted it delivered on a day we don't deliver. My coworker told him "No" for a good hour.

We do have one of those sectionals in the back marked down to six hundred - because it's damaged and has a few stains. Prince Ali decides he doesn't want it because "it isn't up to his standards." He wants us to give him a brand new sectional at the cost of the damaged one, and deliver it for free, during a one hour period on a day we don't deliver.

So he, pissed off, decides he doesn't want to get it after all since we're so inflexible, and storms out. I was laughing really hard when my coworker was telling me this.

So...about an hour after I get off the phone, I hear a *DING* at the front door and see what HAS to be Prince Ali. There's a blue Camry in the parking lot - and he still has on the sheik attire. I groan inwardly and go "Hi! How can I help you today?" knowing full well what this guy is going to do.

Sure enough, he does it.

"Yes, I was in here yesterday and spoke to a gentleman who was going to get me a deal on this couch here oints to the sectional: He said delivery was free and he was going to get me a new one for the price of the damaged one in the back."

I laugh openly at this point. "Sir, I know all about what happened yesterday because I just had a call from said associate warning me about you. I don't appreciate liars in my showroom. Goodbye, and don't come back."

He was completely taken aback that I called him on his shit. Got an angry scowl, and then walked out.

Now this in itself is nothing new - people will come in all the time and say another associate promised them such and such, but never seem to remember that person's name. (My favorite is when I ask them what she looked like and they give off a description of a woman. HA! We haven't had a female on staff here for two years.)

It's the third part of this that cemented me to post this. Yesterday, I was working with my manager here, and had told him about Prince Ali. So I'm downstairs doing some cleaning, and I hear the door chime. We have a large mirror positioned at the stairs so we can see into the upper level and vice versa. I hear my manager starting to talk, and I hear a familiar voice.

Look into the mirror - Prince Ali is back AGAIN! And he's wearing NORMAL clothes this time, to try and fool us, I suspect. (Prince Ali, yes it is he, but not as you know him...) So I climb up to the top of the stairs, out of sight, and start eavesdropping on the conversation. He starts saying how he was talking to another associate who was going to try to get him a deal and drop the delivery charge. Boss informs him he has to drive two hours north to pick up said furniture. He starts going on about how "But I was promised by the gentleman working here yesterday-"

At that point, I make my grand entrance. "Oh, DID I?" I say, stepping in. Prince Ali's face turns white when he sees me, the Manager has a vague idea of what is going on and is trying not to smile. I give the biggest, friendliest customer service grin I can, point to the door, and say "Get the hell out out right now. We refuse to do business with a liar."

Ali gets pissed, demands that he will be back to see the manager. Manager steps up and goes "Don't bother. I am the manager. You're banned. Don't ever come back. As a matter of fact, I'm calling ALL the other showrooms in the area to tell them not to let you buy any of our product."

The mighty prince starts cursing in Arabic, (I think, it certainly wasn't any language that I speak or understand) and storms out, leaving a patch of rubber as he takes off (quite a feat in his little car.)
    "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Flipping brilliant. Love the Aladdin references. Wonder if he'll come back? O_o
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

this really reminds me of my haggliung guy i posted about and kind of ties in to the thoughts on haggling forum.........must be something with the culture in that part of the world maybe? Used to haggling or what? S8igh* i dont know anymore >.<
      Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
        And he's wearing NORMAL clothes this time, to try and fool us, I suspect. (Prince Ali, yes it is he, but not as you know him...)
        That part cracked me up so freaking bad.

Sugarfree Kool-aid burns WORSE than regular when it goes through the nose. And now my khaki pants are somewhat...pink. I demand you pay for my drycleaning, plus $8000 for pain and suffering!

Seriously, do these people just think that sales associates don't talk to each other during the day or what?
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
          (Prince Ali, yes it is he, but not as you know him...)
          Read my lips, and come to grips with reality! Unless you're at a yard sale, we won't be haggling with you! Say hello to a price that is the price!

Comment

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything. I don't have the money for a new monitor.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Department stores *sigh* View Post
              must be something with the culture in that part of the world maybe? Used to haggling or what?
              Actually, I heard that alot of business owners EXPECT you to haggle in the Middle East. I wouldn't quote me on that, but that's what I heard

Maybe you would have been more accomidating on the delivery if he'd gotten a giant parade of elephants to take away the sectional!
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

You mean you didn't treat the customer appropriately? "genuflect, show some respect, down on one knee." Shame on you, Kus!
                My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Great story. I bet "the Prince" thought his ruse was really clever when he conjured it up. Makes me wonder if he's tried it anywhere else...

The third part though, your entrance... classic.

Comment

Honestly . . . if you gave deals like that . .. I wanna know where your store is!! Do the employees even get the furniture that cheap?
                    This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth Originally Posted by Kusanagi
                      And he's wearing NORMAL clothes this time, to try and fool us, I suspect. (Prince Ali, yes it is he, but not as you know him...)

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                      That part cracked me up so freaking bad.

Sugarfree Kool-aid burns WORSE than regular when it goes through the nose. And now my khaki pants are somewhat...pink. I demand you pay for my drycleaning, plus $8000 for pain and suffering!

Seriously, do these people just think that sales associates don't talk to each other during the day or what?

And I want a million-billion-kajillion dollars for the emotional trauma of having that song in my head the rest of the night.
                      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Well you would think that for someone who has seventy five golden camels...
                        "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Okay - completely off the subject: Thanks. I just realized that I've been wandering around the hours all day singing this d@mned song under my breath.

-------------
                          Pillaged again? Use Norse-Away(TM) Patented Viking Repellent! Now in new Lutfisk scent! Available at fine siege towers everywhere. Keep out of reach of Saxons and other small children.

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                            He didn't want to pay sales tax.
                            Tell him to go to his Member of Parliament and haggle with him about that...

And wish him luck... mine doesn't answer my emails
                            free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
                              Okay - completely off the subject: Thanks. I just realized that I've been wandering around the hours all day singing this d@mned song under my breath.
                              My husband, earlier: Why are you STILL singing that? No, wait - why are you singing that at all?!

Me: Well, see... there was this post...
                              0 Coffee! Thou dost dispel all care, thou are the object of desire to the scholar. This is the beverage of the friends of God. -In Praise of Coffee, 1511

Daranacon - because we're not crazy enough

Comment

Working...
                              X