Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Break - How I Loathe Thee... (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Break - How I Loathe Thee... (long)

Hey there all, it's me, GroceryWench. What do you get when you work in a grocery store in a horrible economy? A lot of customers, because nobody's going out to eat, they all want groceries. I don't mind that, in fact I welcome it, because it gives me job stability.

However, Spring Break came. And the already massive crowd of customers intensified. The management was seriously in need of help. In fact, they offered special rewards to those who freed their availability for that week. I was one of them, as I had nowhere to go. (I got free lunch from the store deli and a few other treats. It was very nice.)

I also recently got accepted for full-time. Health insurance, benefits, the whole nine yards. Which is great, don't get me wrong, but this week felt like it would never end. The shifts have been so long and tiring that I've been crawling out the door to go home in exhaustion.

So, with a week like this, we are bound to have some SCs in the mix. Here are some notable ones:

The Cigarette Hound
    A man comes through the line and speaks little English. (This is par for the course, as we are a Texas store. Half the customers I serve don't even speak English.) He asks in a heavy accent for several cartons of cigarettes. By several, I mean 15. You heard me right. 15 cartons of cigarettes.

Now, there is a sign on the cigarette case that says you can only buy 5 cartons a purchase under state law. I try to tell the man this, and I'm willing to do three transactions to get him out so I can serve the rest of the massive line. But he doesn't seem to understand why he can't do it all in one transaction.

I find one of my coworkers who speaks Spanish and she tells him why, and he's visibly disappointed. He eventually does it, and I'm still wondering..."Why the hell is he buying 15 cartons of cigarettes?..."

WIC Woes
    For those of you who don't know, WIC is a program that helps low-income women afford certain items that will provide good nutrition for themselves and their children. You get milk, eggs, cheese, beans, baby formula, juice, and cereal. It's a wonderful program, I'm glad it's there.

However, there are some women who just don't get it. The catch is, you have to get the WIC approved item, which is our Hill Country Fare brand. If someone brings up the wrong type of item, we'll go exchange it for the WIC item and they can be on their way. Simple, right?

Wrong. A woman comes through and says 'These items are for WIC.' I ring up her items and she puts in her card. The computer alerts me that the items are not WIC eligible. I tell the woman, 'Ma'am, these are not the WIC approved items, I'd be happy to go exchange the items for you-'

She stops me in mid-sentence and says, 'No, you won't. You will give me the items I got here.' I say, 'Ma'am, these are not the WIC approved items. I cannot honor that transaction as WIC. The computer will not let me.'

She gets angry. 'I chose these items! I want these!' I keep calm, saying again, 'They are not the WIC eligible products.' She goes on, saying, 'But I don't want the cheap ones!'

'Why not?' I ask. She says, 'Because those are the welfare items! I want the good items!' I go a bit wide-eyed. If she didn't want those items, why did she apply for the benefit? And secondly, it's not 'welfare' items! The food is perfectly good. Cheap doesn't mean 'bad.'

'Ma'am, I still cannot give you those items on your benefit. You can pay for them, but you cannot use your WIC card.' She demands a manager, and I call one over, who takes her aside. She eventually leaves without buying her items. God help her kids.

As alcohol level goes up, intelligence goes down
    Late in the evening, a man comes through with a couple cases of beer. He asks rather incoherently for a few cartons of cigarettes. I hesitate, because it's company policy and also state law that we do not sell these items to people who appear intoxicated, as if anything happens after he leaves, we could be held responsible.

I don't want to get him angry, so I go and get his cigarettes, but I keep them out of his reach once I ring them up. Once I get to the total screen, I'm now sure he is intoxicated. How intoxicated, you ask? Let me put it this way. He thinks that he can pay for his beer and smokes with his food stamp card.

I pick up the intercom phone and signal for a manager. I put the phone down and tell the man that he can't use that card to pay, for starters. He gets louder, still incoherent, and waves the card around. I keep on telling him know, keeping an eye out for a manager. He starts shoving the card in my face, and I back away, saying that I still cannot honor his transaction.

A manager sees what's going on and comes over, just as the man starts to yell. The manager tells him that he'd be more than happy to call him a cab so he'll get home alright, but the guy shoves him off and storms out, security goes after him.

Manager said I handled it very well, and luckily it was time to clock out, so I got to go home.

---

Well, that was basically all that I can think of for now. Thank God that week is over...
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
    She says, 'Because those are the welfare items! I want the good items!'
    The phrase "Beggars can't be choosers" comes to mind.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

where I work, we're not allowed to override WIC. I've only seen it overrided once. But we can't do it without a managers permission. But we usually exchange the items for the correct ones, and not many people make a huge deal of it.

Comment

The Cigarette Hound
        I may have been watching too much Customs (UK show that looks at border control, immigration and detecting drug smugglers-very good watching) but he could've been part of a cigarette smuggling ring. One retired couple bough about 28 cartons of cigarettes overseas, the old guy kicks up a gigantic fuss over the fact that he's attempting to smuggle in $8,000 worth of cigarettes even to the point where the woman who deals with his arrest leaves. In the end, the cigarettes are gone, the couple leave minus their $8,000 worth and the old guy tries to appeal the decision in court. Yeah good luck with tat.

WIC Woes
        I'm going on two theories here:

1) The card was fake or she was using someone else's card.
        2) More of a question, but, if you're planning on buying non-WIC items on WIC, then WHY THE HELL DO YOU NEED THE WIC IN THE FIRST PLACE? (apologies for shouting)

[/QUOTE]

What the heck?! That guy is stoooopid.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

WIC = The Evil!!!!

I despise WIC with a passion. I'm so glad Texas is moving to EBT cards and getting rid of the vouchers. The EBT cards take away a lot of the suck from paper vouchers, but it still = The Evil!!!!

Comment

'Because those are the welfare items! I want the good items!'
            I want to drink Pyrat Cask 1623 rum every day.
            I want to drive a Porsche 911 Turbo.
            I want a weekly massage.
            I want to drink Johnnie Walker Blue Label scotch frequently.
            I want to eat King Crab more often.
            I want to eat sushi far more often.
            I want to eat caviar more often.
            I want to live in a larger, more luxurious place, with attractive women fawning over me.

But my means do not allow any of this. What I want and what I can actually have are not always the same thing. This applies to many people. It especially applies to people whose food I am paying for as a taxpayer.

So to that woman I say this: Put want in one hand and shit in the other hand, and which sees gets full first.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
              if you're planning on buying non-WIC items on WIC, then WHY THE HELL DO YOU NEED THE WIC IN THE FIRST PLACE?
              Need? No. She is trying to not only get something for nothing (which, since we don't know her situation, she may well qualify for), but to get something better for nothing.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I want to drink Pyrat Cask 1623 rum every day.
                I want to drive a Porsche 911 Turbo.
                I want a weekly massage.
                I want to drink Johnnie Walker Blue Label scotch frequently.
                I want to eat King Crab more often.
                I want to eat sushi far more often.
                I want to eat caviar more often.
                I want to live in a larger, more luxurious place, with attractive women fawning over me.

But my means do not allow any of this. What I want and what I can actually have are not always the same thing. This applies to many people. It especially applies to people whose food I am paying for as a taxpayer.

So to that woman I say this: Put want in one hand and shit in the other hand, and which sees gets full first.
                As my grandmother says: people in Hell want ice water.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

"Why the hell is he buying 15 cartons of cigarettes?..."
                  He could be a Utah resident who saw how cheap cigarettes are in other states went "holy shit" and decided he needed to stock up... I admit I do that in the liquor aisle in Reno (wine and spirits cost about half as much in Reno as Salt Lake, so I buy enough that the counter person will give me dirty looks thinking I'm some drunkard when in fact I just bought a year supply).
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

You have WIC cards I'm sooo jealous (we're still using paper checks - yipe)

And for the cigarrette guy. If it wasn't legal to seel more than five per transaction, how was it legal to sell it over 3 transactions, since he's still leaving with more than state law allows We have restrictions on certain cold medicine, for example, and we cannot sell more than that. Even if the customer whines/begs/shouts/pleads.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

for this, I just had to put this quote:

Quoth Homer Simpson
                      Remember Lisa, beer destroys brain cells. Now lets....go back ... to the place... with the beds... and tv.
                      I see dumb people...

"I think I died long ago, and you two are my eternal punishment"
                      "..."
                      "You're like a constant downer, huh?"

Comment

Re: the cigarette guy

The only explanation I can think of is that he's taking them to sell to his underage neighbors, and kids' friends. Texas is NOT a cheap place to buy smokes, and the OP's store charges about $45 per carton for the generic stuff. At least they used to the last time I looked. Austin is a good 4-5 hours away from any other state, so not a good place to be buying bulk smokes in the event Texas might be cheaper than elsewhere.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Boredom View Post
                          for this, I just had to put this quote:

Quoth Homer Simpson
                          Remember Lisa, beer destroys brain cells. Now lets....go back ... to the place... with the beds... and tv.
                          I like "Ahh beer, the cause of, and solution to, life's problems." more myself.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                            And for the cigarrette guy. If it wasn't legal to seel more than five per transaction, how was it legal to sell it over 3 transactions,...
                            Simple, the OP had a line and wanted to move the guy along. besides there is nothing stopping him from putting five in his car and then going back for more from someone else.
                            If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

you have to get the WIC approved item, which is our Hill Country Fare brand
                              I know what store you work in.
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X