This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you are at the "other one"

Things have been rather regular here at the hotel, with the usual annoyance I grew tired of repeating on here.

But, in December a hotel just like ours owned by the same people opened up. Well, it's not just like ours because it's a different hotel, but it bears the similar name except it's called a " & Suites".

Guests keep arriving or booking at the incorrect ones. Mostly, people have been booking the new hotel & arrive at ours annoyed they are over there. Sometimes the people ask if they can just cancel their reservations over there & stay here since they didn't realize the new one even existed. Luckily we are on good terms with the & Suites.

The most common reaction is....of course...anger.

Like tonight: Yes, everyone, sometimes that handy confirmation number is important. Pretty sure I could have found this guests reservation with it...

Me: Hello!
    SC: It's under M....*mumble mumble*
    Me: (I had no "M" starting last name arrivals, so I asked...) I am sorry, what was the name?
    SC: (bit louder then he needed to be) MARTEN!
    Me: Hmmm (Look in our computers for two weeks, no such name. Look into other hotels' system with our search, tells me no such name...weird.) Do you happen to have a conformation number because I can't find your reservation in our system?
    SC: Arg! *tosses down bags, hands over a credit card*
    Me: We have no problem getting you in because we have rooms, I just want to make sure you aren't charged elsewhere.
    SC: I had a confirmation, I printed it out. But, I didn't bring it with me. (Nice & absurd isn't it? Wow...magically with such a statement ding! There it is! NOT!)
    Me: Okay...well...*I start making the reservation*...
    SC: I have NEVER had a problem before!
    Me: Yeah, I am sure sorry. We have no problem getting you in...
    SC: This is the *interstate #* West hotel isn't it? (The other hotel is labeled as "...& Suites West *interstate #*.
    Me: No, it sure isn't. That hotel is located two exits west of us.
    SC: *huge sigh* Where is it then?
    Me: You get on *interstate* and go west two exits (Here enters another guest, and phone starts ringing of course.)
    SC: HOW do I get there????
    Me: Get back on (interstate) going west two exits to exit #.
    SC: Fine! *trudges out*

I called the other hotel first chance I got to tell them I didn't find the guest in their computer, but as luck would have it he was in their computer. Miracle! For some reason our search didn't work. But, this wrong hotel stuff is...fun. Use a map! Honestly!
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

I get this a lot too, but luckily I haven't had any that were flat out sucky. They would arrive at the wrong hotel, and show me their confirmation printout. Funny thing is that address is on 32nd Ave. And yet they got off at Sometreet off of the interstate. They somehow would think a hotel on Somestreet is the same as the one on 32nd Ave.

I think we might even work under the same brand.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Oh, I get the exact same thing all the time at work... our brand has two hotels in Salt Lake... one by the airport, one by the e-center... if I had a dollar for every time we had people upset because they booked at the wrong one...
      Oh, I also find it amusing that people serioulsy can't tell the difference between North Temple Street and Decker Lane... better, they can't tell the difference between the *takes deep breath, we have three exits you can use* North Temple or Redwood Road off of 80 or 700 north of of 215 and the 3500 south exit off of 215... you know... those all just sound so much alike... don't they.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

When I was security in a very large hotel, we had a Customer fall asleep in our comfy, homey lobby. No big deal, he got dropped-off by another group after drinking, they chatted a little, they left, he sat down (very drunk) and just... fell asleep. Because the hotel prides itself on Customer service, I left him alone for a few hours to sleep it off, and checked on him every now and then (I could see him from the desk). After a few hours, I know that shuttles will be starting and Customers will be coming down, so I best get this guy back to his room. It took minutes to gently wake him up, then he didn't know where his room was. I asked him the number so I could direct him and he said something like 516. Our rooms only go-up to 400. He showed his room key to the person at the desk... And it was for the hotel down the street. So we tell the guy and call his hotel to arrange to get a shuttle to pick-him up. Noooo, that's not good enough! The guy goes into a drunken, abusive tirade about how this is his hotel, we can't kick him out, etc. (????)

Well, the hotel still on the phone on the other line hears this and says if he is acting like that, they're not accepting him back either! So I have to call the Police to get rid of this guy who will not calm down.

The Police arrives and he manages to act less drunk. Then the police want to do a brethalizer. The guy refuses. They explain what will happen if he doesn't. He says he 'knows somebody' and they can't do this to him. Oh, and when they asked him for ID, he pulled-out his license along with a couple 20's. The Officer looked at him and said 'you better not be doing what it looks like your doing!' The guy turned red and pocketed the money.

Long story short, after a half-dozen attempts at a breathalizer (because the Officer does not care who the guy knows! ) The guy gets a ride via cruiser to the Bars on the Windows Inn.

I vowed to never let people sleep in the lobby unless I'd seen their room keys after that! (Believe it, people did it a lot; waiting for shuttles, or they had a fight with their wives, etc.)
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          (Believe it, people did it a lot; waiting for shuttles, or they had a fight with their wives, etc.)
          I believe it... I've had quite a few people who will come down half an hour to an hour early to their shuttle and requested we wake them up... what's wrong with a wake-up call is a mystery to me...

Comment

The biggest problem like this that we had at the hotel where I worked was the fact that there was a branch of our hotel chain on the other side of the state in a town next to another town whose name was identical to ours, except it lacked a "ville" on the end.

Everybody got that?

Anyway, if you really want to see the top of someone's head come off and go drilling upward through the ceiling, tell them that their reservation is in fact in the system, but their room is waiting for them five hours away.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

And that's why you don't make prepaid reservations.

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                I called the other hotel first chance I got to tell them I didn't find the guest in their computer, but as luck would have it he was in their computer. Miracle! For some reason our search didn't work. But, this wrong hotel stuff is...fun. Use a map! Honestly!
                You probably should have warned them that a total asshole was coming their way, too!
                http://prosenylund.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                  no, you don't make prepaid reservations because prepaid reservations are a royal pain in the ass for everyone involved to deal with... on a busy night I'll spend half an hour to 45 minutes just setting up all the prepaid reservations for the next day... it sucks... checking guests in sucks also because you can't just click 'print' on the reg card, you have to make sure the rate is suppressed first (though normally I do that when I'm setting up the arrivals for the day). Oh, and you're an idiot because normally you can get a better deal by calling the hotel directly than using a third party... trust me, most hotels are happy to match the price, because expedia et all will take up to a 25% commission on the booking.
                  *gets off soapbox*

Comment

Quoth Melicious Motormouth View Post
                    You probably should have warned them that a total asshole was coming their way, too!
                    I did! And he was a perfectly nice guy to the other Night Auditor! Course, the other Night Auditor is a ski bum tall man... man verses man things tend to go better. Man verses lady with girl voice...honestly not so much

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                    About 95% of our reservations are not "pre pay". That is changing, though...
                    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Working...
                    X