This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "When Are Y'all Gonna Get This Fi'ty Cent Shit Up In Here?"

This story is from my record store days.

Back then, 50 Cent was relatively unknown; his much anticipated album "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" was set to be released.

Many of our customers' impatience for its release was based on his song, "Wanksta" (a "dis" track towards another rapper, Ja Rule) which appeared on the 8 Mile soundtrack, a CD so popular, we had to hide the copies behind the counter as it was constantly stolen, despite the plastic guards we put on them.

(As an aside, the rap albums were the only CDs we put the plastic guards on, as they were stolen the most.)

Anyway, we were used to people coming in every two seconds and asking us when the CD was going to be released. So, up until it finally hit the shelves, this request was an everyday occurrence, something we were used to.

Then this customer broke the monotony. A 16-year-old suburban white boy whose demeanor and attire was a testament to hip-hop culture. As was his dialect.

He pimp-walked up to my boss and said "Yo, do y'all have dat Fi'ty Cent shit up in here?"

My boss' icy blue eyes widened; his tone assumed the one of a very strict, yardstick wielding schoolteacher. "PARDON ME?" he practically roared.

And the poor kid shrank like a turtle back into its shell: "I mean, can you tell me when the new 50 Cent CD is coming out?"

We laughed about that for hours after we left. Months later, we would occasionally come up to one another and ask "Yo, do y'all have dat Fi'ty Cent shit up in here?"

I think this kid should spent less time listening to hip-hop, and more time learning the basic elements of etiquette.
    http://prosenylund.wordpress.com/

I love to call out gangster kids. I especially love breaking their little hearts when I tell them that the giant diamond earrings they have in their ears are the same ones my grandmother wears and my Nana used to wear.

What's even better is watching them try to not fall with their pants so low....
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Somewhat related, the TK told me once about a girl he 'helped' while he worked at that everything store with speed in their name...
      she asked him for... Lil Kim's newest CD, which was not on the market yet. So, he told her so, and he got her hand right in his face as a response, with the way-too long nails and all that. "Nuh-uh!"

When he told me that story, I kept thinking, "You know? If someone suddenly shoved their hand in my face, I'd be hard pressed not to punch them as a knee-jerk reaction.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Melicious Motormouth View Post
        Then this customer broke the monotony. A 16-year-old suburban white boy whose demeanor and attire was a testament to hip-hop culture. As was his dialect.

He pimp-walked up to my boss and said "Yo, do y'all have dat Fi'ty Cent shit up in here?"
        At least he had the decency to *not* end the sentence with "you know what I'm sayin'?" If he had, I'd have replied with "No you fucking moron. I *don't* know what you're saying. You're not 'gangsta,' you're some stupid white kid from the 'burbs. Knock that shit off before I slap you." But I'm a bit radical like that

Seriously though, when I see kids acting like that, I can't take them seriously. It's just an act. Usually, they're trying to, um, "compensate" for something I'm sure if a *real* gangster confronted them...they'd crap their pants! Also, when people act like that, does anyone think of the South Park episode where Butters and Cartman go on Maury Povich? "Whateva, whateva, I do what I want..."
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          At least he had the decency to *not* end the sentence with "you know what I'm sayin'?" If he had, I'd have replied with "No you fucking moron. I *don't* know what you're saying. You're not 'gangsta,' you're some stupid white kid from the 'burbs. Knock that shit off before I slap you." But I'm a bit radical like that

Seriously though, when I see kids acting like that, I can't take them seriously. It's just an act. Usually, they're trying to, um, "compensate" for something I'm sure if a *real* gangster confronted them...they'd crap their pants! Also, when people act like that, does anyone think of the South Park episode where Butters and Cartman go on Maury Povich? "Whateva, whateva, I do what I want..."
          Got one better. my mom was a high school teacher. one of her students' sanchos had gone with her (the student) to mexico for a wedding or something. as they're stuck in traffic, a car beeps or cuts them off or something. well, sancho thought he was hot-shit and got out of the car, being all thuggy (he actually was a 'banger). turns out, the guy in the other car is a big mafia guy in mexico.

sancho was supposed to show up somewhere later and never showed. no one knows where dumbass gangsta is...

Comment

I remember being in a downtown record store in my hometown in Canada shortly after "The Massacre" (other 50 cent album) came out and that was the ONLY ALBUM they had to keep behind the counter.

Pretty sad.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Of course they have to keep 50 cent albums behind the counter, I'm sure most of those kids are underage and their parents won't let them buy it or buy it for them.
              "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                Of course they have to keep 50 cent albums behind the counter, I'm sure most of those kids are underage and their parents won't let them buy it or buy it for them.
                There actually were censored versions, but of course, no one was interested in those.

Comment

Kids like that "wannabe- gangsta" remind me of the character from Malibu's Most Wanted. One word for that kid: Poseur!
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    At least he had the decency to *not* end the sentence with "you know what I'm sayin'?" If he had, I'd have replied with "No you fucking moron. I *don't* know what you're saying...
                    There was a show on MuchMusic (Canada's MTV) called "SmartAss: The Ed The Sock Report", where Ed The Sock investigates "What's Wrong With Rpa and Hip-Hop?" During the show, he tapes a bit of video with a group of rappers as they show him their old neighbourhood in Toronto. EVERY TIME they ended a sentence with "Know what I'm sayin'?", Ed would respond with "No, I do not know what you are saying, please elaborate." Very funny stuff.

(In case you wanted to know, the show decided that what's wrong with rap and hip-hop is the fans...)

Anyways, if I ever had a business that had music, I would keep the rap music behind the counter and post a picture of the West Texas Rednecks with "RAP IS CRAP" scrawled across it.

EDIT: I actually do not mind rap music, I just have heard from a few music stores that it counts for the majority of stolen music around here... and that would be a good way of keeping it from being stolen. Just say that I'd have to 'special order' it, with down payment.

I'm also a wrestling fan, so that's why I'd post a picture of the WTRs.
                    Last edited by El Pollo Guerrera; 03-26-2009, 07:24 AM.
                    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                      West Texas Rednecks with "RAP IS CRAP" scrawled across it.

I love that song. I have it on my Iphone.
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I know what you're saying

I hope that people posting on this thread got to see the Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino". In it they show a clash between a wannabee and 2 black youths that are actually the real thing. Very amusing. The 2 thugs did not appreciate the wannabee's "coolness".

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                          Kids like that "wannabe- gangsta" remind me of the character from Malibu's Most Wanted. One word for that kid: Poseur!

The ironic thing is: the song that started all the anticipation for the album in the first place was about a wanna-be gangsta!

Comment

Quoth hobbitt97 View Post
                            I hope that people posting on this thread got to see the Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino". In it they show a clash between a wannabee and 2 black youths that are actually the real thing. Very amusing. The 2 thugs did not appreciate the wannabee's "coolness".
                            One of my favorite scenes in the movie, I have also seen that happen in real life, I couldn't help it I laughed out loud, I got glared at by the wannabe, got a grin from one of the gangstas.
                            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

When I was riding the L home from work one night (Chicago Red Line), I was blessed with watching a little suburbanite wannabe kid and his girlfriend getting an earful from a homeless guy.

"Boy, you show in my neighborhood dressed like that, they'll kill YOU and FUCK yo' girlfriend."

They didn't say a damn thing to ANYBODY until their stop came up.
                              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X