This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His Majesty's Stack Chair

This happened yesterday but I was too tired to post when I got home.

You know that arrogant tone many SCs take, where they talk to you as if you are a serf? Well, that is literally the way this guy talked to me the entire time I dealt with him, and it pissed me off to absolutely no end.

Actually, he pissed me off before he even started taking that tone with me, because to get my attention, he thrust his finger at me then pointed at the ground in front of him, like an angry parent calling a misbehaving child to the carpet. No "excuse me" or anything. Just finger pointing.

Me: Yes, s---

SC: Is this new?! *points at a stacking chair*

I can't quite describe this chair, so here's a link to it. It is one of the cheapest, crappiest, chinciest, most uncomfortable junk chairs we sell. No assembly required, but they do NOT come in boxes; they just ship us a stack of them and they sit in the back room gathering dust. So EVERY one of them - except for the floor model - is dirty. And they all have imperfections because they inevitably get a little banged up in transit and in storage.

Me: Well----

SC: Get me a new one!

Me: OK, but so you know,t hey dont' come in boxes so---

SC: I don't want one that people have been sitting all over! I want a new one!

Me: OK, but it will be dirty.

SC: Just get me a new one!

Me: Fine

Man.....can I get a word in edgewise, please?

Perhaps this was sucky of me, but I intentionally brought up one of the dirtiest ones I could find.

The SC intercepted me ont he way up.

SC: That's filthy!

Me: I know; they don't come in boxes, so--

SC: YOU CLEAN IT!!!!!

At this point, self-control is beginning to be a problem, but I dug a little deeper.

Me: I can do that.

I brought it up the register and asked the cashier for her spray cleaner and paper towels

Me *quietly, while SC was still elsewhere*: This guy is one RUDE motherfucker..........

Cashier: Who?

Me: The guy buying this chair.

CSL: Wait, what? Who's being rude?

I briefly explained all of the above as I gave the chair as cursory and incomplete a wipe-down as I thought I could get away with. Then the SC showed up and we all had to shut up. I wished him a good evening and walked away.

That'd be bad enough in and of itself, but this isn't over yet.

I followed the CSl to the copy center, where he asked me why I didn't tell this guy to go screw.

Me: You know why. We aren't allowed to say stuff like that. Maybe you can get away with it, but I can't.

CSL: Damn right I can. YOu know what CSL stands for? It stands for [exceptionally vulgar, sexist thing that I should not repeat here].

Cashier (on PA): Dave1982, please call 29. Dave1982, 29 please.

*calls 29*

Me: Yes?

Cashier: Could you bring up another one of those chairs?

Me: Why?

Cashier: There's a scuff mark on this one and he doesn't want it.

Me: Are you serious?

Cashier: Yes.

*long sigh*

Me: Fine. *click*

Taking a deep breath, I got another chair, making sure there were no obvious blemishes (not that there was one on the first chair I'd brought up). Of course, this one is also filthy.

SC: AH! CLEAN THAT!!!!!

Seriously, do you want to get punched tonight? SHUT UP!

I gave this chair another cursory wipe down.

Me: That's the worst of it.

SC: No, do it like this *takes spray bottle and starts to clean it himself; I let him*

Apparently satisfied, he left.

SC: Thanks.

Me (as soon as the doors closed): Wow, that's the first time he said thanks to me.

Cashier: haha.

Oh, and you know what was wrong with the first chair? Under the front edge of the seat, on the bottom of the chair WHERE YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE IT unless you flip the thing over and look, there was a tiny gouge in the vinyl, perhaps 3 millimeters wide.

Yeah, a nearly invisible 3mm flaw, and he wanted a new chair because of that. Oh, and according to the cashier, he didn't even look until after he sat in the chair once, this after he bitched about not wanting a chair other people had sat in. What does he expect us to do with this one now? Does he think his ass is holier than everyone else's?

I think I might try to take a picture of the flaw in this chair when I go in to work tonight.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 04-21-2009, 12:18 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Heh. those chairs are EVERYWHERE. I don't think I've ever seen a conference centre that didn't have that exact chair, or one so insignificantly different.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

What an asshole, too bad we can't shove him in the with his precious chintzy ass stack chair.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Ugh, I had to sit in one of those chairs yesterday at a group interview. Hightly uncomfortable. *hopes the SC gets a sore ass from his chair*
        Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Strange, I took one look at the title and assumed it was IPF that was posting
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            Strange, I took one look at the title and assumed it was IPF that was posting
            When I get some fucktard getting that anal over stack chairs (our stack chairs are patio chairs, stacked higher than the water pipes and furnace ducts, so they are a bitch to unload), you'll be the first to hear about it.

I've had people make me bring them multiple pieces of furniture because the boxes were ripped, which automatically means the furniture within is defective, of course.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Was it the famed Abu Ghraib model?
              Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

This may strike some of you as a little over the top, but this guy just pressed all the wrong buttons.

I apologize for the poor quality of these pictures, but you can still see how insignificant this flaw is. And it was actually on the front edge of the seat, not the bottom.

And here's the measurement. Yes, I actually brought in a pair of digital calipers and measured it. 5.17mm at the widest point.

Yes, it was silly to do that, I know.
                "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

How do they get people to pay $48 for that thing?
                  I will never go to school!

Comment

I find those chairs extremely uncomfortable.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      This may strike some of you as a little over the top, but this guy just pressed all the wrong buttons.
                      Nowhere near over the top. At the store I work, that guy would get one "Excuse me?" after "Get me a new one!". After "YOU CLEAN IT!!!!!", he would be outside.

Comment

Does he think his ass is holier than everyone else's?
                        no just asshole-ier

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          no just asshole-ier
                          nah...make that assholier than thou
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                            How do they get people to pay $48 for that thing?
                            Trade show supply companies charge something like $50 to $80 to rent those things to exhibitors (who have no choice if they want to be able to sit down in their booths, but that's a rant for another thread). So a trade show supply company will scam make plenty of money by buying those stupid chairs (and I bet they pay a lot less than $48 to start with too ).

But why anybody else would pay money for them? You got me. I have no idea.

Given the SC in the OP, those chairs do seem to be popular with assholes.
                            Last edited by Dips; 03-28-2009, 02:51 PM.
                            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                            X