Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got called a uptight, stuck up bitch!

Me???!!!

(I work in a pawn shop, by the way)

A guy calls in and asks how much we do on gold. No extra details about the gold in question, no pleasantries like a 'hello'... just "how much do you do on gold?"

Now, I'm not a gold expert, but I know we have an unwritten rule that we are not to give quotes over the phone. It's simply common sense because we don't want people coming in saying they were quoted this price for that item, when actually the item is beat up or its a different model, or whatever. So, I just tell everyone we don't give quotes/estimates over the phone. They must "bring in it and let us look at it."

So, I get the call and since I assume it's jewelry, I respond to his question with the whole "we don't give quotes over the phone, -- (and since this is gold) the price depends on how much it weighs, we have to test it, if it has any stones in it (we do a bit more if the item has sizeable diamonds) and the person's record" (think of it like a credit score - how much the person does business with us, how often they pick up their stuff, etc.). Just like I tell everyone else.

Well, he's pushing to get a quote, telling me it's 20 grams of gold, 14K and blah blah blah. So now, I'm guessing it's probably just a nugget or a bar of gold (let's call it a nugget for now) but still ... he's being quite pushy and rude. I should also add that gold can be plated over another cheaper metal which makes it pretty much worthless to us ...

I finally opt to get him an answer just to shut him up, but just because he's being an idiot - I give him a very low-balled, you're being an asshole quote of $3.00 (I could have quoted him much more, but, like I said, he was being a jerk-face).

That pisses him off .... he fires back, "do you realize that gold is $1100 an ounce right now?!" (correction, no its not, its really a little over $900 right now, I had to check after Mr. Poopy Pants threw his tantrum).

"No, sorry, I don't keep up on that," I kinda of half-laughed at myself, mainly because I don't really care ... (and we have management that does that and they are VERY aware of the gold prices and adjusts all of our prices accordingly).

"Of course not you uptight, stuck up, bitch! *Click*" Nice ... that'll win you lots friends and allies ... People all over will flock to relish in your ape-like qualities and caveman ways of communication ...

AND now, out of all the places in the little town that I work in... he calls a pawn shop obviously looking for top dollar on his gold nugget. No where (around here, anyway) can you get even close top dollar for your gold scrap. The only place I can think of would be to send it into the Federal Reserve (even they even accept small amounts like that ...). My boss even mentioned that gold is never really worth what they say it's worth simply because people need to make a profit ...
    This area is left blank for a reason.

SCs will never learn that the answer they want immediately will never be the answer they want.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

KG, have you seen a real upswing in business due to the economy? If so, surely you have more stories to tell. ~hope hope~
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yeah... that $900 an ounce is for pure gold, not 14k crap, your little bar of 14k is not going to get you heaps mate.
        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

My husband works in a coin store. They get a LOT of stupid people who demand quotes on the phone. The shop next door is a pawn shop, they get that all the time too.

They also get some pretty delusional folks in person who want to sell things.

Fun!

By the way, I loved how you gave him a lowball quote on the phone. That was hilarious.
          Last edited by Dips; 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM.
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Should've told him to send his crap to Cash4Gold, they are some of the worst ripoffs you can imagine.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              KG, have you seen a real upswing in business due to the economy? If so, surely you have more stories to tell. ~hope hope~
              The numbers say otherwise ... but then again ... numbers don't work the floor or pawn room.

I, unfortunately, break a lot of hearts and hate to do so - especially when people are only trying to come up with cash for prescriptions or baby diapers ... (gas, in my opinion, is the most popular excuse).

Then there are those who really deserve to be disappointed and to be pulled off of that high horse of theirs. Sorry, I can't give you anything for that old-ass, beat up, 80's stereo of yours ... and I'm not quite sure what's all over it ... I don't care if you paid XX for it last year, I don't care if it's worth XXX and I don't care if it sounds/works great ... yeah, it's amazing what people will pawn just for a couple of bucks.

I do have a few stories ... and I'm sure there are many more to come ... but I don't work in the pawn room very often (it's not my primary job), but generally, most people are easy to work with.
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
              X