Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is this such a confusing concept for people?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this such a confusing concept for people?

Lane light on-open.
    Lane light off-closed.

Seems pretty simple, right? Well, I will never understand why I will be standing there at the register with the light on and people will pause, give me a hesitant look and say, "Are you open?" I always just say yes, but it irritates me. Sometimes I wish I could make some smart ass remark, but I don't want to be a bitch. Why on earth would they think I'm not open? If the light is on, the lane is open, bottom line, end of story. That's all you need to know. If there's nobody at the register, start unloading anyway. We'll be right there. At my store the cashiers are often given little tasks around the front lanes to do and sometimes we're not right by the register when someone comes up, so it takes us a second to walk over there. That's just how it is there. If the light is on, I'm open, I'll be with you in a second. If it's a one in a million case of a cashier accidently leaving the light on when they leave, that's not your fault. Someone will apologize and hop on to ring you up there. They're not going to make you take everything off the belt and move to an open lane. If the light's on-start unloading. Even if we have our drawer open. At our store the cashiers have the ability to open the drawers at any time and straighten cash, add change, etc. Just because I'm emptying a roll of pennies into my drawer doesn't mean I'm closed. The light's on, it's all good.

If the light's off and someone's cashiering, DON'T unload. Our salesfloor people often come up for backup, take a few people, and go back to their regular jobs. They usually don't turn their lights on. They'll invite people over. If you SEE someone hop on for backup, it's alright to hop into their lane. But if you just see the guy standing there with the light off and you don't know how long he's been up there cashiering, just stay away. Don't just assume that the guy at the register is backup and will be happy to take you. It's just as likely to be a cashier who needs to either go home or take a lunch or break. And nothing is more maddening than having people keep coming up to the register when we want to go home. This is why I end up shutting off my light five minutes before leaving. And it always seems to get me out right on time. Other cashiers should do the same instead of getting stuck on the lane several minutes after they're supposed to leave.
    Last edited by Despina83; 03-29-2009, 02:13 AM.

It's not that difficult a concept until you get someone who forgets to turn the light on/off. I've faced both situations.

Light on, but when I started putting down my groceries, I was told they were closed. Light off, and I get called over by the checker.

So, to avoid such situations, I just ask.

Now, if the checkers were truly consistent with the signal, I wouldn't ask, but I've yet to see true consistency.
    The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
      It's not that difficult a concept until you get someone who forgets to turn the light on/off. I've faced both situations.

Light on, but when I started putting down my groceries, I was told they were closed. Light off, and I get called over by the checker.

So, to avoid such situations, I just ask.

Now, if the checkers were truly consistent with the signal, I wouldn't ask, but I've yet to see true consistency.
      Ditto. I've approached registers with lights on that were closing or about to close. This is usually at night when the store is leaning towards closing time, so it's easier just to ask.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I am often stocking the candy section which is by the register I can see the person go up to it and put their stuff down in the mirrors and will come up and help them if they do that. But instead we seem to get two different types of customers in this situation one who will dump their stuff on the belt and start screaming that they need help at the register event though I am already walking up their or they will go looking for the cashier and look suprized when I tell them I don't know what you want when you just wander past the register if you had just put your stuff down I would helped you five minutes ago they just get a shocked look on their face.

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
          Lane light on-open.
          Lane light off-closed.

Ok...I know it is supposed to work that way....but you don't know how many times I have seen it not work that way.

I always assume the lane is closed if the light is off. Then I get to be on the receiving end of an extremely rude hello I'm open look and comment when I am wandering around aimlessly looking for an open register. I look up and the dude's light is off. How am I supposed to know he isn't closing or counting his register or whatever else people do when their lane is closed and the light is off?
          Tamezin

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
            This is why I end up shutting off my light five minutes before leaving.
            You're lucky you can get away with that at your job. I did that at my current job once and i got scolded like a naughty 5 year old.

Then again, these people have disliked me since the day i started and i have no idea why.
            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Working...
            X