This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But it works!

A lady came in with her two kids (I'd say 8 and 10 if I had to guess) to trade in a Playstation 2 system, along with games and accessories. Our policy requires us to test every system that is traded in to ensure it works. Not that this doesn't prevent some technically unsound systems from being accepted, but it does help to reduce the number that get through.

I hook the machine up to a TV and the SC immediately says (as EVERYONE does whenever I do this): "Oh it works just fine, we were playing it just the other day"

So I try the machine with one of the games they are trading in and...it doesn't load.

I glance at the SC.

SC: I'm telling you that thing works.

I remove the game and examine it, I note a few scratches but nothing I think would cause the disc not to play, but some systems are picky with certain games. I grab a brand new disc and try it....doesn't load.

SC: What?! That can't be, there must be something wrong with your TV, I'm telling you that Playstation works.

Me: Doesn't seem to be but you can still trade it in.

I proceed to ring through the rest of her trade. When you trade in a system that doesn't work, you don't get as much for it as would if it were functional.

Me: So the total credit on the trade in is $xx.xx. You can see the how much each item was here *points to POS pad*.

She looks it over a moment.

SC: Hey! You only gave me $25 for the Playstation, it's supposed to be $50!

Me: Well yes, I have to give you less because the system doesn't work.

SC: It DOES work! I told you it did!

Me: Ma'am I just tested it, you watched me. It's not working properly.

SC: Well you must've been doing something wrong because I know it works. You need to give me $50 for that.

Me: I cannot give you $50 for a broken system.

SC: IT WORKS! How many times do I have tell you this??

Me: Not from what I've seen.

SC: Are you calling me a liar?

Me: No Ma'am. I just tested it with two different games. Neither loaded successfully, this unit is not functioning properly.

SC: Why would it work fine at my house but not here? You must've done something to it.

Me: I did nothing to do it ma'am, you watched me the whole time when I was testing it. All I did it was hook it up and put a game in.

SC: I don't care what you did or didn't do. All I know is that system works and you WILL give me $50 for it.

Me: I'm sorry I won't.

SC: Then your manager will. May I speak to them please?

Me: Certainly. *explain situation to M*

M comes over, and, for the sake of being thorough, tests the system with yet another game and...it doesn't load. (Shocking! )

M: I'm sorry ma'am the system doesn't work. That's the third game we've tried. We can't give you $50 for it.

SC: BUT IT WORKED AT HOME!!

M: That may be so but it's not working here and as such we can only give you $25.

SC: So you think I'm lying too.

M: It might have worked at home but we can't take your word on whether or not it works, we have to test the unit and make a determination ourselves. Unfortunately we've tried 3 different games and none of them work. Therefore in our opinion the unit is not functioning properly and we cannot give you full credit for it.

SC: Fine, just cancel out the whole thing. I can't believe I've wasted so much time in here. Come on kids, we'll take this stuff to <competitor>, they'll treat us better!

*stomps off*
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I hope this lady is working at the used car lot when I go to trade in my old clunker that won't start. "BUT I SWEAR, IT STARTED AT HOME!!!"

Comment

Well, if it worked for them so well at home then why get rid of it?

Comment

Would you PM me which store you work for? I've got a broken PS2 under my bed, and I can always use 25 bucks.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
        X