This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's called a number for a reason

A while ago I had this gem of intelligence...a guy who wasn't too bright purchasing something with one of those business cards that prompts you for the purchase order NUMBER...

Me: "Is there a PO number?"
    SC: "Bob."
    Me: "Excuse me?"
    SC: "Bob."
    I look down at my keyboard. There are no letters.
    Me: "It has to be number."
    SC: "If there is no number, you're supposed to type in my name."
    Me: "I don't have a keyboard."
    SC: *Points at keyboard* "Bob."
    Me: "Fine" *types in 808* "Sign here... have a nice day"

Thank god his name was Bob and not something that contains letters that aren't I, B, S or O
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
    SC: "If there is no number, you're supposed to type in my name."
    Me: "I don't have a keyboard."
    So, how did the customer know this? What . .no, how . . .? He knew you didn't have a keyboard . . . O.k., I've got nothing . . . he obviously wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

In the customer's defense, many companies use letters in their PO numbers, or allow the use of names, even though the last part kinda defeats the whole purpse of the thing.

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
        Thank god his name was Bob and not something that contains letters that aren't I, B, S or O
        you can also do

'T' (7)
        'Z' (2)
        'g' (9)
        'E' (3)
        'A' (4)

example: 'wow, that cutomer was a total 455 849
        DILLIGAF

Comment

Oh, so that's what a PO number is! That prompt occasionally shows up on my register screen (only twice now in three months), and neither I nor the customers ever knew what it was for.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            Oh, so that's what a PO number is! That prompt occasionally shows up on my register screen (only twice now in three months), and neither I nor the customers ever knew what it was for.
            It probably thinks the charge is from a corporate account. The PO is a way for the corporate offices to make sure incoming bills are actually theirs. Which is why just a name is mostly pointless. If you're going to allow the guy to purchase and bill stuff to his company just on his say-so, why not just give him a corporate credit card and make it simple on everyone?

Comment

I think in both instances, they were business credit cards, though for small local businesses.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
              X