This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misunderstanding.

Ok so SC asked my CW how much two turkey cheddar bacon flatbreads was and my cw said it was $7.50, but SC thought she said $7.15 so she said, "Your English is very bad." My CW wasn't born from this country so I believe she was hurt and actually her English is really good. And to top that off, she was throwing her change across the counter being rude.

Next story. I made a lady one mocha iced latte and one non mocha iced latte, but she wanted chocolate drizzle on top of the whipped cream on the non mocha iced latte and she asked me three times if it's the same mocha from the mocha iced latte and I told her yes like three times.

It's not just about English. I am a native to this country, and English is my native language, one which I have spoken as long as I've been speaking, and one that I speak rather well.

And yet, at least once when I told a bar patron that we offered a 15% discount to locals, he honestly thought I said 50%. And was stunned when he didn't get it.

Yeah, right. Nice try, bub.

To your non-American coworker's credit, the words "fifteen" and "fifty" DO sound a lot alike. The customer was just an ass monkey.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      To your non-American coworker's credit, the words "fifteen" and "fifty" DO sound a lot alike. The customer was just an ass monkey.
      I agree. Fifteen and fifty do sound a lot alike. I am always asking for clarification on the two amounts.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Actually, most of the 'teens sound like the ten, I think. That's why if I'm not sure I always clarify "Fifteen, one-five" or "fifty, five-zero." I do that both as a customer and as a worker if I think the customer may not have heard right.
        My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I also get the fifty vs sixty sounds mixed up. Working register can get pretty noisy, so I clarify by saying fifty five-oh. Last thing I need is messing up a gift card value, those things are a PITA to fix.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Funny story: Once my sister was going through the McDonald's drive-through with her friends, and the person at the window said that the amount owing for the food was "Six turkey...".

My sister told the person at the window that they only had 4 turkeys and a duck, would that be OK?

They all laughed.
            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
            X