This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go away, I'm not your friend

Now I really dislike most people. At work I pretend to be nice sure as I'm paid to do it. But as soon as I step out the airport it stops. ID pass comes off, I wear an alias name badge anyway so weirdos can't make 'complaints.'

Today I had an annoying whiny passenger off my flight on my coach home. I know, bad luck. And the dozy cow wanted to whine and bitch some more. Not being paid to listen to her crap, ipod came on, eyes closed and I moved seats. Soon got the hint!

Or bumping into passengers in the hotel. One woman said '"oh YOU stay here, I'd thought YOU'D stay in a Travelodge or something." How dare the hired help stay in a 5 star hotel. I just looked her up and down and said "Yes, we always stay in these kind of hotels, all for free, isn't it wonderful?" Then she wanted to stick around and chat so I ran away.

What about the woman who heard me bitching about work in a phone call to my boyfriend? "Well I don't think that's a good advertisement for you airline!"
    I just said, "well I'm not in work now so...." then she wanted to talk to me about flights so I said "Can't you see I'm on the phone?"

Do these people try and talk and complain to the cashier who has just served them in a supermarket say, after they have finished work?

What is it about being a flight attendant that makes everyone think they can talk to me. I'm not a nice friendly person so go away I especially do not want to discuss anything airport related.
    No longer a flight atttendant!

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
    Do these people try and talk and complain to the cashier who has just served them in a supermarket say, after they have finished work?
    Yes.

------
    Women can do anything men can.
    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
    Maxine

Comment

Because it's a small town, and I've worked in retail for 30 years, people feel they know me.

I can't count the number of times I have been out enjoying myself, or having my hair done, or shopping, or even at a doctor's office, and had a "customer" ask me about sales at the store, or pricing, or whatever.

Because I'm not really on the front line anymore, I don't really know prices, or what's on sale or what flyers are running. (We do get a copy of the flyer in our department, and I get one in my local paper, but I certainly don't memorize stuff, and I certainly don't have a clue about the price of windows, doors, studs or deck packages.)
      I will get asked when we're putting our seasonal stuff on half price, or when we're going to start getting in other seasonal items.

I get really tired of it, but as I said, small town, so you gotta be friendly.
      I usually just tell them I don't get out on the sales floor much, so I'm not really sure, but if they call the store or come in and check at our service or lumber desk, they can give them pricing.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

you offer such an interesting perspective

Comment

I'm not as nice as Ree is about it.

The city I used to live in, where I worked at the gas station, sometimes I'd see regular SCs and EWs at other gas stations (usually lotto whores, because they'd go from store to store playing scratch offs) and they'd snerk the most obnoxious dribble at me.

"Hyuck hyuck, what are ye doin here? Arentcha sposed to be at yer store? Hyuck hyuck!"

"Ima tell ye manager that yous was at a different store!"

I wasn't nice to any of them when I saw them. They were big enough jerkoffs when I had to serve them.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yeah, they do. I had one particularly obnoxious Kinko's customer want to bitch at me while I was on my own time...and shopping in her Pet Lover's Warehouse store.

That's right, I came up to the register to pay, where she was working, and she tried to start bitching to me about her order at Kinko's.

It almost defies belief.

Comment

Most of my female friends do some form of craft or sewing

when I worked at the craft store I would hear endless complaints about it.... god it made me so fed up. I was lucky though, because they were my friends I could tell them to stfu and they would.
              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I'm not your friend, guy!

Sorry, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic title.
                Last edited by Mr Hero; 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Actually they do. That's why as soon as I clock out I head straight for my car and ignore any customers. Thankful our timeclock is right by the front door so I don't have to walk far to escape the store, but still I've had people stop me before to complain or whine.

Comment

Yes ... Keep reading.
                    Tamezin

Comment

LOL. It's just that when I worked retail I was never ever stopped outside work.

People seem to bug me a lot more now as they think I am a friendly flight attendant who just loves to hear about their problems.
                      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

PrincessKatie, It's probably the uniform.

When I worked retail, the name badge came off whenever I went on a break and when I left for the day.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I have had one customer stopping me to ask for prices on bicycles in Paddington station when I was on holiday in London . If you have missed it, my shop is in Copenhagen. I wasn't really prepared to sell a bicycle just then .

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                            PrincessKatie, It's probably the uniform.

When I worked retail, the name badge came off whenever I went on a break and when I left for the day.
                            Whenever I finish work, I always change into street clothes. That was the case even before I started riding a motorbike; and it was for that very reason, to stop the world and his wife from thinking they had the right to stop me and talk at me. -.- It added a little more time on to my leaving, but being stopped by Mr and Mrs Bitch-A-Lot would add even more.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

There's a very good reason why I wear a coat home, even if I'm in my car and I've taken my eppaulettes off (other than the obvious security reasons),
                              No, that's not legal
                              Yes, I can arrest you
                              No, I'm not a traffic warden
                              Yes, I do think the role is worth doing
                              Yes, I get paid
                              Yes, it is a full time role
                              Blah Blah Blah...
                              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                              X