This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Tidbit of Stupidity

Let's say you have a pet dog. You love this dog. You and this dog are best friends, and he's like a little canine child of yours. I can sympathize with this feeling, I have kitties at home whom I couldn't imagine a day without.

Let's say your dog gets old, and falls ill. You take pictures of the doggie. The doggie becomes so ill he must be put to sleep. Where is the logical place to download these pictures?

To the computer?
    Nope.

To the photo booth at Wal-Mart so you can print out real pictures for your album?
    Nope.

To your itty bitty cell phone that is on it's last leg?
    Oh yes.

So what happens when your phone dies and there is absolutely no way for me to get the pictures of your dog off the phone?

Why you throw a fit of course.

This folks, goes with the phone book lesson. If you have a bunch of oh-so-important phone numbers, for God's sake, WRITE THEM DOWN. It's called a PHONE BOOK. They sell them at office supply stores for relatively cheap. Same goes for these life-changing photos. Get them OFF the cell phone and to someplace safe. Because once you kill the phone, those pictures are gone forever. For some reason, this bit of common sense was lost on a customer I recently had in the store. I couldn't make him understand that if you destroy a DVD, you cannot get the movie off it at all. This is the same thing, more or less.

Anyways. Happy Wednesday everyone!
    I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Argh, I hate those. The worst in the computer biz, though, is Mr. Lawyer Man, who for some unfathomable reason stores his ENTIRE LEGAL PRACTICE on his THREE-YEAR-OLD LAPTOP with NO BACKUPS, and then wants to sue the store when his hard drive fails, or he drops it, or spills wine on it - you know, for all the business that WE made him lose.

People losing pictures also sucks. I wish they would just back stuff up! It's not that hard! People are smart enough to get double prints at walgreens, why can't they do the same for their digital pics? Sigh.

Comment

Quoth Myra View Post
      So what happens when your phone dies and there is absolutely no way for me to get the pictures of your dog off the phone?
      How would you get photos off a cell phone and onto a computer or some other sane storage medium, anyway? (My phone is primitive enough to lack camera. I don't mind.)

Reminds me, must figure out the back-up-hard-drive-to-DVD bit soon.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Any picture I care about is double backed up, once on my harddrive, and once on a network drive elsewhere in the house. ANd that doesn't count the duplicate copies I have in various edited states on the desktop or in a 3rd folder, or the hosted copies of the final one.

You can't back it up enough folks! Those 0's and 1's are fragile little suckers
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
          How would you get photos off a cell phone and onto a computer or some other sane storage medium, anyway?
          Don't cell phones these days have SD/mini SD card slots normally? At least, mine did. And it was the cheapest one I could get.
          No good news is good bad news

Comment

Quoth Cedophile View Post
            Don't cell phones these days have SD/mini SD card slots normally? At least, mine did. And it was the cheapest one I could get.
            Mine doesn't (Kyocera K7 Rave).
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

If there's a pic that I have to share with people off my phone, I email it to myself.

Comment

I keep backups of my stuff.

My only problem is half the time the backups wont' load. (uses zip disks)
                Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

My Nokia 6600 has an SD card slot, and the Samsung a friend has has a USB-B cable...
                  I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Seanette, you can either get a USB cable that allows you to connect the Rave to a PC, or you can use the email function on the phone to send it to yourself. If all else fails, MMS/EMS it to a friend who has a phone with a USB cable or email !

My mum has a photo printer that supports Bluetooth. Its great, because I can print photos straight off my phone, no cables or messing about needed.
                    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                    - Dave Barry

Comment

Goddess I hate people like that. They bring me a computer I have never seen in my life, I have to tell them that the hard drive has (to quote Monty Python's Parrot Sketch) "@#$%ing snuffed it", I also inform that there is no way I can get the data off of it.

I get BLAMED for it like it was MY fault the damn thing died.

As I said, in many cases this is the first time I've ever seen the computer in question.

I even give them the contact information of a company that specializes in repairing those drives long enough to get the info off the platters and saved onto CD/DVD depending on the amount of the data needed. I STILL get my ass reamed out by these twonks.

How I managed to prevent myself from grabbing my sword and turning them into Kibble and Bits is beyond me.
                      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                        Goddess I hate people like that. They bring me a computer I have never seen in my life, I have to tell them that the hard drive has (to quote Monty Python's Parrot Sketch) "@#$%ing snuffed it", I also inform that there is no way I can get the data off of it.

I get BLAMED for it like it was MY fault the damn thing died.
                        I can't count the number of times I've been there...

Or, you get the customer that's stuffed their system with so much malware / viruses that there's nothing more to do than backup data, format the drive, and reinstall. First, they act like you put all the junk on , complain about the cost (backup fee plus labor), then after it's done complain that there's an 'important program' that's missing and they dont have a copy of it (usually bacause they've 'borrowed' it)...which, of course, is your fault.

Some days, I don't miss my job.

Oh, and off-topic, I want one of these for backup of my Media Center...

Comment

I know what you mean. I had this lady one time screaming at me because the only pictures of her baby being born were on her dead cell phone. I mean, hello, let's at least make some attempt to get these oh so important things on hard copy, at the very least. Especially considering the kid is now two. It's not like you haven't had time to do something about this.
                          Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                            Seanette, you can either get a USB cable that allows you to connect the Rave to a PC, or you can use the email function on the phone to send it to yourself. If all else fails, MMS/EMS it to a friend who has a phone with a USB cable or email !
                            Since my phone is so primitive it doesn't even take pictures, moot point for me . Mostly, I was just curious about how one would deal with backing up pictures taken by phones so equipped.

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                              I keep backups of my stuff.

My only problem is half the time the backups wont' load. (uses zip disks)
                              I have to keep backups as well, especially pics taken w/the camera and my fanfic. I SO love my burner drive
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X