Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't care if he's missing a body part, I want my food!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't care if he's missing a body part, I want my food!

This isn't my story, but a friend's.

He works at a local restaurant that is very popular. A few days ago, while in the middle of making some sandwiches, he managed to cut off his thumb with the INSANELY sharp knives the kitchen staff use to cut some of the thicker meats. Yes. You read correctly: He cut OFF his THUMB!. Needless to say, the entire kitchen had to be shut down due to, well, the tremendous amount of blood being spewed from my friends hand (he's quite a heavy bleeder to begin with. Trust me, I could be an EMT with the amount of experience I have sewing this guy back together).

Anyway, with the kitchen shutting down, the store basically had to close. The front of the store was still doing coffees and sodas, but anything involving the kitchen was not being served until the kitchen had been scoured of any traces of my friend's hemoglobin.

99.9% of the people eating there at the time were completely understanding (and concerned about my friend's well being). Of course, one person wasn't.

This is the conversation that took place as told by my friend who heard it from a waitress working there when the de-thumbing took place.

Waitress: "I'm sorry ma'am, one of our cooks has seriously injured himself and will be needing to go to the hospital to have his thumb reattached. There is QUITE a bit of blood in the kitchen area, and we will not be able to serve anyone anything from the kitchen until we can get everything cleaned up. Here is your money back, and I am so very sorry."
    Woman: "Well what the hell was he doing back there? Smoking pot? How the hell do you cut off your thumb while making a sandwich?"
    Waitress: "Well, he says that he was cutting a slab of meat a little too quickly and wasn't really paying a lot of attention to what he was doing and, well, sort of sliced it off as he was making the cut. We have verrrrrrry sharp knives."
    Woman: "Well, I don't see why you can't just send the boy home and continue serving us. Surely it won't take more than few minutes to wipe up the blood?"
    Waitress: "Well, ma'am ,actually, there is quite a LOT of blood on the food prep table. Besides, simply soaking up the blood doesn't eliminate the chance of spreading blood-borne illnesses. We need to sanitize the kitchen completely before we could legally serve you food."
    Woman: "What, do you hire people with AIDS?!"
    Waitress: "Whether or not he may or may not have AIDS wouldn't stop us from hiring---"
    Woman: "THIS RESTAURANT'S MANAGEMENT HIRES PEOPLE WITH AIIIIIIIIDSSSS!!!! EVERYONE, DO NOT EAT THE FOOD!"
    Waitress: "MA'AM! That is totally uncalled for! Please! Calm down, take your money, shut up, and leave!"

The woman continued to rant and rave about how the all the customers were going to get AIDS, how my friend is probably gay, and that everyone who worked for (restaurant) was going to Hell. Then she left and apparently called the local police...who sort of just laughed at her.

For those of you wondering, my friend's thumb was reattached, but it's really just there for looks now. It doesn't bend too well anymore, and it kind of pains him once in while. But he's ok. And for the record, he does NOT have AIDS.

That woman is crazy. And...is there a word for people who hate those with blood-borne illnesses?
    Although I wonder...maybe you should've taken her back into the kitchen.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

What a <insert word I don't think I'm allowed to say, even on these boards>
      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
        What a <insert word I don't think I'm allowed to say, even on these boards>
        does it rhyme with stunt?

and yes I agree, she was one.
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

sick!!!
          What a horrible human being.

Comment

wow that lady is stupid.

for the record, i once was cutting a sandwich with a brand new knife at work and all of the sudden i look down and see blood--- A LOT of it --- and then i noticed i nearly cut off the tip of my thumb -- i didnt even feel it because the knife was so sharp...so yea, i can see how something like that kinda just happens

the customer asked what happened to his sandwich and my CW told him it was going ot have to be remade lol.

Comment

Wow, that lady is a fucking ignorant cunt.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post

That woman is crazy. And...is there a word for people who hate those with blood-borne illnesses?
                And AIDS is not the only blood-borne illness out there. The HIV virus is actually quite fragile, and any extended amount of time outside a host will cause it to break down. Hepatitis B, on the other hand....much more hardy. Hep B can survive up to 7 days in dried blood.

Back on topic, what a .
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

What a bitch...and it sounds like she still has those antiquated '80s views about AIDS...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                    Is there a word for people who hate those with blood-borne illnesses?
                    Idiot? Ignorant?
                    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Wow. Just....wow. I don't think there's another word for that.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Comment

Ugh. If she was in alberta, I'd say she's one of the kids I went to school with. Slipped on ice one spring morning, scraped my knee. Limped into school with a little bit of blood (I wasn't spewing it or anything. just beading you know?) And all the kids started to yell that I was spreading AIDS and HIV and everything else around the school.

I hope your friend does better though.
                        Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

she's a halfwit, and with the 'you're all going to hell' remark, i'm thinking a 'christianized' halfwit. (i agree with tropicgoddess on her observation)

i would be more concerned with hep b, as jedi remarked, than hiv, but she's an idiot, and as most idiots are wont, blathered out the first 'brilliant' remark that came up in that narrow mind of hers.

gah; is your friend ok?
                          look! it's ghengis khan!
                          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                            And AIDS is not the only blood-borne illness out there. The HIV virus is actually quite fragile, and any extended amount of time outside a host will cause it to break down. Hepatitis B, on the other hand....much more hardy. Hep B can survive up to 7 days in dried blood.
                            I was just about to say the same thing.

Rotten old hag.
                            "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

What a miserable <rymes with runt>! The waiter was waaaaay too polite to her.

Comment

Working...
                              X