This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess who else is a lawyer!!

Lady comes in, wants a cash refund for something she bought a year ago. Return policy is 30 days, as clearly stated on the back of our receipts. Well, she had no receipt. She had come in the store for refunds multiple times when she still had the receipt, was offered gift cards, checks from the company (since the amount she wanted refunded was more cash than we typically keep in the drawer at one time), and she refused. So she came in yesterday demanding her money back, and dropped the infamous line:

"I'm a lawyer, I know how to write a letter!"

I relate the story to my mom (former lawyer, now a judge) later, and you know what she said?

"She must be a pretty shitty lawyer if she can't read the fine print on the back of a receipt."

Would you like a Stummies?

by that logic I'm a lawyer too! I'm gonna go threaten cashiers with my letters!

Comment

Nobody move! I've got lowercase l's and capital R's and I know how to use them!
      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, but I know how to write a letter. I also know the magic words to use, and who to write to. They do get results.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Yeah well I'm not anything like a lawyer and I still know how to write a letter.

Comment

I can write a letter, too!!! See?

A
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Ooo ooo me too!

.....ah crap.
              "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
              "What IS fun to fight through?"
              "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Just imagining, she ended up taking it to Small Claims Court.....

And just imagining, your Mom handles that type of case......

And just imagining, that particular case ended up in your Mom's Courtroom......

Mike
                Meow.........

Comment

I was watching an episode of Judge Judy once and somebody actually did try and sue a store owner for not taking back a dress that the plaintiff bought at her mom and pop store. I will never forget the outcome in which Judge Judy stated that the law in their state and most states (in the US) is in the favor of the stores, they do not have to take anything back at all if they don't want to (not sure if that includes defectives). That's why I always thought it was funny when one of the stores I used to work in went to a no return without receipt policy and people threatened to sue, I KNEW they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    I can write a letter, too!!! See?

A
                    So can I!

Ah ah ah...that's the letter 2, my friend.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'll see your Letters and your Numbers and raise you a whole word.

Frooglesniffen

Comment

I can write too...so that makes me a lawyer!
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          So can I!

Ah ah ah...that's the letter 2, my friend.
                          Nah, it's a cross-dressing Z.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Here's an update: Apparently the DM told her to fuck off. Word.
                            Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                              Ooo ooo me too!

.....ah crap.
                              Just be sure to mail it to Building Number D!

Comment

Working...
                              X