This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody told me I had to pay for that!

As I've said in other posts, I've worked in customer service for 18 years, 15 of those in the telecommunications industry. This is the industry where I think most of our customers do the stealing and ripping off of not only the companies involved, but the honest customers.

In July 2001, I remember the lady from hell who was changing her phone company back from a local competitor to Bellsouth. In the entire conversation, she was upset with my constant disclosures about the costs of everything, and extremely enraged about having to pay a connection charge. The records showed three other people told her about this charge, making me number four! This call took thirty minutes to do, which is three times the normal amount of time for this. She kept saying "Nobody told me I had to pay a connection charge" plus she proceeded to tell me she was told it was free to install new jacks.

Because of this, I kept an eye on her account. Lo and behold, she received the first bill, and it took five other employees before she got the one who would credit that charge for her, again stating "Nobody told me I had to pay for that!"

It gets worse though. A few days later, she called in griping that she had scheduled to have a technician install four additional jacks for her and wanted to know why he had not arrived. Four reps looked at her account and no order was in for this. After speaking to another three reps, it was agreed upon that she could have this all for free! This was $250 worth of work. It really gets bad. A few days after she had these free jacks installed, she changed her phone company back to her old competitor. Why? It turned out her old company does not give free work to anybody, and that everybody has to pay for a service if they want it bad enough. However, Bellsouth, wanting to retain customers, gives in to this almost every day.

You want to know why your local phone rates are going up? It's due to bitchy people like this. One does it, then tells her friends and neighbors how to do it, and soon enough, they all catch on, causing a snowball effect.

It needs to stop. We pay for our services. So should they!

She doesn't pay for it, everybody else has to pay for her lying a**!

The company has to get paid for it somehow, the officers certainly aren't going to kick back any of their pay to cover it.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

And, did I mention the fact that service technicians in the field are frustrated with these sort of things? They spend a long time with customers like this, knowing they were at the customer's house, and knowing the customer was a lying bee-atch, yet they still got a free service everyone else pays for?

I also forgot to mention because of crap like this, in 2002, Bellsouth and other phone companies implemented a policy that reps were not allowed to give a credit of more than $25 and that only managers were allowed for anything over that. (Of course, managers always give in). In 2001, Bellsouth gave away $14 million in what is known as "adjust to satisfy" credits, meaning, in layman's terms, credits for customers who raised enough hell about a legitimate charge that they didn't like. The charges were always there, yet when the 21st century arrived, customers discovered a way to bitch them out of existence. Yet, you and I, the honest paying customers, are the ones who suffer with our phones rates going up.

I can't imagine what the total cost was in 2001 for the other eight states Bellsouth handles. The $14 million figure was for Florida alone, and it was the largest figure being we have a mixture of people who aren't even native to Florida, but are the ones who resort to this type of behavior. If you don't like it here, nobody's twisting your fat, greasy, disgusting arms to stay! Get out!

Comment

This is what I hated about DirecTV. The management at the time was so worried about satisfying the customers no matter what kind of customers they were, which only encouraged the bad customers to abuse the system. In my last couple months there, it seemed like most of the customers I dealt with who were demanding freebies for whatever imagined abuse they suffered had received some sort of freebie just the month before. It seemed like we were just generating our own traffic at the call center.

Comment

What's that saying?
          'Ignorance of the law doesn't equate to protection from the law'?

You didn't know =\= you don't pay.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
          X