X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's called an ATM people! (ranty)

...so why do people not use it?!?!

First customer of the day wanted $300 out. I had to pop open my drawer to prove that no, I do not have it and that no, I cannot magically pull $300 out of my ass. She got grumpy and demanded a manager. Manager gladly let her take the $300 out but seriously...most accounts let you get money out for free at your OWN bank's ATM, so WHYYY do you not use them? (I attempted to give it to her in $10 bills-it was all I had...might teach you for asking checkout staff for $300 at 9am...)

Ran short a few times today, I just gave up asking if they wanted cash out after a while. Seriously people, we do not keep infinite amounts of money on the registers!

I also had some grumpy lady today who kept ranting about how the alternative bags are no good for the environment. (We're selling heavy plastic bags like you get at most boutiques) I offered to give her a heavy plastic, since she was buying a reusable cloth bag anyway and I didn't want her meat to drip. She continued to grumble, so in the end, I just let it drip...she wants a dripping bloody bag, she can have one. (She insisted on having it fit...)

Finally, STOP SAYING "Good girl!" everytime I do something right!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I want to seriously smack people wanting cash at so early in the morning, the max cashout I can give is $400 and I don't have that kind of money at 7am.

Also get people who are shocked to learn the max is $400 because they wanted $700 out, sorry people, you want that kind of money go to the bank stop giving me shit about it.
    I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
      Oooh, I HATE this. I don't know if people think they're being funny or what. I'd get this a lot when "training" at GameStore (which consisted largely of figuring out an ancient, cantakerous system on my own while doing 8 other things simultaneously).

Not so much from the true regulars who knew what the register was like, but the worst offender in this regard was the owner
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I hear you on cleaning out the till first thing in the morning.

I think Walmart's system capped cashback at $100 (at least, I hope it did). You had to get it in increments of $20 unless you paid with a check, in which case you could get up to $20 back by writing the check over, but no more than $20. Debit cards were how you got the higher amounts in the restrictive increments.

Also, as a note, a starting float for a Walmart till is $100 exactly, including all the change rolls.

There were times where I'd be working an early morning shift, just barely open a register, and get that gem of a customer who insisted on paying with debit and getting the full $100 cashback (and sometimes complaining that they couldn't take out more). If they were the first customer of the day, I was forced to hit the light on my register because I wasn't allowed to say "no," but couldn't very well fork over every last penny in my drawer either. So I'd have to get management to give my till a "loan."

And then there were the customers who knew they could write checks for more than the total purchase amount in order to get cash back, but would "conveniently" forget that the maximum was $20. So they'd be filling out the check while I'm ringing them up (at least they did that much), and then write it for something like $50 over or $100 over once I told them the total. And then get upset when I informed them that I couldn't give more than $20 back on a check.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post

Also, as a note, a starting float for a Walmart till is $100 exactly, including all the change rolls.

We don't have a starting "float" per se. Generally, it's whatever's left over in the till from last night, with a few differences, but a rough float would be...

4 x $50
          6 x $20
          20 x $10
          20 x $5
          2 rolls of $2
          2 rolls of $1
          2 rolls of 50c
          3 rolls of 20c
          1 roll of 10c
          2 rolls of 5c.

Plus whatever's there in coins. We used to order change and having to remember that a roll of $2 coins was $50, a roll of $1 coins was $20 etc.

The line went something like this:

$100 for $10
          $50 for $5 and $2.
          $20 for $1.
          $10 for 50c and 20c (I think...)
          $4 for 10c pieces.
          $2 for 5c pieces.

Comment

"good girl"?

"Good customer!"

Comment

I don't think any grocery store around me allows you to get more than $100; most of them it's only $50.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

In regards to the "good girl!" I would bark at them, tilt my head, loll my tongue and ask for a biscuit. It would be SO worth it to see their faces.
                Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Lately we've been getting a lot of people demanding cash out too. Now that ATMs have to tell you about the fees, people don't want to use them for fear of being charged ten million dollars. My store doesn't do cash out but we do have an ATM (the same ATM that, according to one SC, is broken because it doesn't take deposits).

repeat ad nauseum with different SCs:
                  SC: Can you give me $50 out?
                  Me: We don't do cash out, there's an ATM over there.
                  SC: But they charge a fee! Are you sure you can't do it?
                  Me: Yes, we're not set up for cash out.
                  SC: (more whining, eventually goes to the ATM)

The funniest ones are the ones who want cash out, then when told no cash out they pay on the card and then use the ATM. If they took a little extra cash from the ATM and used that to pay for their stuff they'd save themselves a transaction fee. Since you're paying the ATM fee anyway, why pay an eftpos fee as well?

Comment

Depends on the ATM. Your OWN provider won't charge you extra on top of the already normal fee, but if you use an independent ATM or a rival ATM, then you get hit.
                    But no, people don't bother to listen.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      Oooh, I HATE this. I don't know if people think they're being funny or what.
                      Good Girls!

Sorry, truly could not resist the temptation.
                      "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Depends on the ATM. Your OWN provider won't charge you extra on top of the already normal fee, but if you use an independent ATM or a rival ATM, then you get hit.
                        Now I see why customers are asking for such large amounts. They are using cashiers to avoid being charged for ATMs.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          Now I see why customers are asking for such large amounts. They are using cashiers to avoid being charged for ATMs.
                          Pretty much. Everyday I get tempted to put up a sign stating "WE ARE NOT A BANK!"

I'll give an example using my own bank (edible and Ny, it's not one of the Big 4-you guys will know what I mean).

A balance enquiry is free.
                          A withdrawal costs $1.50. This is paid at the end of the month.
                          Any EFTPOS transaction for any amount is $1.80.
                          For a RIVAL ATM, for any reason, the amount varies. You're charged by your own bank as well as the rival.

My account has a limit of $10 I can accrue in fees before I have to start paying. At the end of the month, I pay the excess fees. This is on the first BUSINESS DAY.

Me? I stick to small amounts-no more than $100 in my wallet at any time. That way if I get robbed, the card is protected (I don't write my PIN down) and the amount of cash lost is minimal.

Comment

The banks in the UK tried to introduce fees for ATMs but there was such an uproar that it was withdrawn. There are still a few independant ones in pubs and cinemas etc that charge though.
                            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Supermarket Slave Girl View Post
                              I want to seriously smack people wanting cash at so early in the morning, the max cashout I can give is $400 and I don't have that kind of money at 7am.
                              wow the most I ever ask for in cashback is $20-$40 to save a trip to the ATM(and the fees)-and I always ask the cashier if doing so will short them before I hit the button.
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X