X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky student: "I am not paying for my parking"

Some information pertaining to this post:
    • Today was the last day of class before finals at the university I work at
    • The parking office sells student parking passes the beginning of the semester, not the end of the semester
    • Students attending night school can buy a parking pass for the Faculty/staff garage, but their parking pass is programed to only start working at 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday

The phone inside the booth rings. I look up & see a black jeep at the exit gate. This incident takes place before 3 p.m.

sucky student: sc
    me: me

me: "Visitor Parking booth, how may I help you?"
    sc: "I have a night school parking pass, & I think I am in the wrong garage"
    *So you have a night school parking pass, it is the last day of class before finals, & you think you are in the wrong garage*
    me: "I'm sorry, unfortunately you will have to pay for your parking. It is $5.00 to exit, & you either pay at the vending machine which excepts cash only or at the Parking office on the third floor"
    sc: "Why would I have to pay since I have a night school pass?"
    *It is before 5:15 p.m., it is the last day of class before finals. You know you cannot park in the Faculty/staff garage before 5:15 p.m. This is assuming you have been going to night school the entire semester*
    me: "I'm sorry, but Visitor Parking is a visitor parking lot, not a student parking lot. Your parking pass is only good at the Faculty/staff lot beginning at 5:15 p.m. I'm sorry, but you have to pay for your parking."
    sc: "Well..I am not paying for my parking"
    me "One moment please"
    *I transfer the call to the Parking office, but I got voice mail. So I call university police, explain the entire situation including the fact the if the student told me she had a night school pass, I would have told her she can only use it to park in the Faculty/staff garage beginning at 5:15 p.m.*

A university policeman arrives. I tell him she is waiting at the exit gate to Visitor Parking. He parks behind the booth & walks up to the exit gate. It took him about 2 minutes to convince her she has to back up & pay for her parking.

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
    sc: "Well..I am not paying for my parking"
    Well, I guess you're going to be sitting there awhile, then...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

at least our uni parking is a LOT easier. I don't drive, but I know plenty from doing quite a bit of reading.

-People can buy a day pass, a monthly pass, a semester pass or a yearly pass.
      -They need to be attached to or in the dashboard at all times.
      -We have carpool parks, which have a bit more room and are designed only for people who have those passes.

What made me laugh back when I was still friends with A-Hole, was that he'd occasionally give me a lift to the uni. I'd try and get him to buy a yearly pass, but he'd just keep buying a day pass. His excuse? "It's my mum's car, I'm not forking out money for a yearly pass when I won't be driving it all the time."

A full year pass is $121.
      A day pass is $3.50.

This guy went to uni maybe 3-4 times a week. 2-3 days would be in his mum's car, the rest would be by bus. Ever since we broke it off though, he's been driving ever since. (he wasn't planning on buying a car anytime soon either)
      I did the math-$121 worth of day passes is about a month and a bit's worth.
      The guy's getting screwed.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
        The guy's getting screwed.
        Isn't that what he wanted?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

"Well, I'm not paying for my parking."
          "Good luck with that." *walk away*

That's what I'd probably have done. Let them stew about it, come back and see if they've wised up.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

While it galls me to possibly defend a SC, there are a couple things I'd like to point out:

A) I've had several night classes where the final exam was scheduled during the work day.

B) At my school, the parking guys were nazis. You'd have to put money in a machine, and get a timeslip to display in your windshield. I've seen them countless times ticket someone who parked, got out, went to the machine to pay, and got ticketed before they could walk back to thier car.
            Also, there have been many times over the last few years where EVERY machine was out-of-order, so they ticketed EVERY car in the lot. The policy is ticket everyone and see how many don't bother to argue it.
            Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
              at least our uni parking is a LOT easier. I don't drive, but I know plenty from doing quite a bit of reading.
              <snip>
              heh, now I know which uni you go to!

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                heh, now I know which uni you go to!
                Does that mean you're gonna stalk me now?
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

ahh; pay parking now, cost $5.

pay ticket and tow later, cost $500+.

you make the call.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                  X