This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YEAH, whatever.

Had a guy tonight ask me if we carried easels.

Me: Yeah, this way.

I pronounced "yeah" in a staccato fashion, so it sounded like "yeh," as many, many people do.

SC *muttering, probably thought I didnt' hear him*: It's not "yeh" it's "yes."

Yeh yeh, WHATEVER. I pretended i didn't hear him. This isn't English class, and that was far from hardcore slang. This guy needs TO BOLDLY GO get a life.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 05-10-2009, 03:22 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Guy that used to play in my band once wanted to change the lyrics of a Bobby Sands song about a boatload of australian bound prisoners because he felt the grammer in the chorus was incorrect.

I told him it's a boatload of convicts, not a boatload of freaking English doctorates.

Geeze, talk about needing to "boldly go". No, we didn't change it.

This is the same guy who showed up to a drum circle with a metronome. He was lucky to get out that one alive.

Comment

Oh man, if there's ANYONE who should be able to find the beat, it's a drummer......
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Funny, I never once heard a customer in Quebec complain if anyone said "ouais" instead of "oui."

To think about it, I've never heard a customer complain about "yeah" before. What a fussbudget.

Comment

One of the bosses at work has mentioned that it's "yes" and not "yeah" but that doesn't really stop anyone from saying "yeah."

Plus, he (a former teacher) screws up his personal pronouns all the time. Drives me to distraction. And then he goes and repeats the whole "end a sentence with a preposition" myth.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            Oh man, if there's ANYONE who should be able to find the beat, it's a drummer......

Oh, wait...you're serious?

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              He was not a drummer, he was unhappy with the beat-keeping of a pack of drummers.

There was nothing wrong with the beat keeping of this particular pack of drummers, by the way. I thought they were going to tear out his liver.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                One of the bosses at work has mentioned that it's "yes" and not "yeah" but that doesn't really stop anyone from saying "yeah."

Plus, he (a former teacher) screws up his personal pronouns all the time. Drives me to distraction. And then he goes and repeats the whole "end a sentence with a preposition" myth.

^-.-^
                Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which he cannot put!

Comment

Quoth VComps View Post
                  Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which he cannot put!
                  Yeah, I love that little gem. It wasn't until just a couple of years ago that I learned that what we think of as a preposition is actually part of a verbal phrase in the usage we are used to.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I read your post quickly and I thought for a second the guy asked if you carried "weasels."
                    I will never go to school!

Comment

Ugh, I hate people like that, yeah they may be English majors/teachers/doctors/whatever, but let them try to say that to a linguistics nerd/major/doctor/teacher/whatever... and get promptly told off that unlike Latin where that rule is fixed because it's only a written/liturgical language, English is living, and well living languages change. *snerks* Yes they follow under English is a Latin based language folks... gods how I hate the major I'm choosing.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                        It's not "yeh" it's "yes."
                        Oh god it's my old boss!!!
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Okay, to get a little academic here... American English is descended from British English, as we all know. And the word 'yeah' in English, meaning 'an affirmative reply,' is actually older than the word 'yes.' Here's the background:

English is a Germanic language, and the word 'yeah' is related to the German word 'ja,' and also to the related words for 'affirmative reply' in the other Germanic languages, such as in Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, etc., etc. In Old English it was pronounced 'yeh' or 'yay' (as in "Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death...")

On the other hand, 'yes' was invented later on in the history of English, by tacking on the word 'sie,' meaning 'may it be so,' to emphasize emphatically a positive reply. It was pronounced something like yeh see, and meant something like "it's definitely so," or "it's definitely true," or words to that effect. (In pronunciation, it eventually became shortened to its present, one syllable form.) This became a sort of more formal way of voicing an affirmative reply, and became the more educated word to use. But 'yeah' continued to be used by ordinary people, as it actually was the original word that in modern times we now largely use 'yes' for. And so, being the original word in our language for the concept, it was never actually slang to begin with, as some people now erroneously think!

This means that, in actuality, the jerk in the OP was in fact ignorant of the word's real history and usage. And we all know that "ignorance breeds hatred," don't we?
                          Last edited by SailorMan; 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM.
                          Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                            I read your post quickly and I thought for a second the guy asked if you carried "weasels."
                            And that sounds like the beginning of a Monty Python sketch!

Comment

Quoth Red Hand of Ulster View Post
                              And that sounds like the beginning of a Monty Python sketch!
                              Or a Weird Al Yankovic song.

Comment

Working...
                              X