X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Family history can be very amusing.

My friend FE is half Irish and half German. His take on his lineage: "I get drunk and want to take over the world."
    When telling people of my ancestry, I used to say "Sicilian and Spanish - that means I can cook, but don't you dare tell me you don't like it!"
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      No, sorry. No Basque and I can only speak a very little Spanish...just enough to say please and thank you while ordering another beer and to ask where the bathroom is.

I didn't realize that the Basque had their own language...I thought it was all Spanish in Spain...just different dialect.
      Nuuu!!!

Oh well, I sent the phrases I want translated to a site...hopefully I'll get a response soon enough. The Basque language is called Euskari; they have their own pre-Christian legends and everything.

Anyhoo...perhaps we might be getting a bit off-topic? I don't want to be hollered at by anyone important.
      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        My friend FE is half Irish and half German. His take on his lineage: "I get drunk and want to take over the world."

May I make use of that, even thought I am only of partial Irish and German descent?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          May I make use of that, even thought I am only of partial Irish and German descent?
          Try being Irish-Red Dutch-German AND Cherokee (1/4 to be exact.)

So, not only do I like to drink and want to take over the world, I'm not shy about war.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Hubby is not only Polish and Italian, he's also German and Austrian. I'm English, Irish, Swedish, Swiss, French (by way of Canada), German, Scottish and possibly Native American. Boy, our son is going to have fun researching his family tree! Just call ourselves "American Mutts" and have done with it!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              Of course you can. Not only is my friend FE very generous, he would be the first to admit that he probably did not make that one up. And even if he did...did I mention he is very generous?

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Hubby is not only Polish and Italian, he's also German and Austrian. I'm English, Irish, Swedish, Swiss, French (by way of Canada), German, Scottish and possibly Native American. Boy, our son is going to have fun researching his family tree! Just call ourselves "American Mutts" and have done with it!
              It's funny. Whenever people ask "What is your nationality?" and I tell them "American," they fight me on it. But I am American. My parents were American. As were their parents. My great grandparents came to this country over 120 years ago (oddly all about the same time, from different places) and I am a third generation American mutt. But that is not good enough for some people. The usual debate goes something like this:

THEM: What's your nationality?
              JESTER: American.
              THEM: No, no, where are you from?
              JESTER: Arizona.
              THEM: But where are your parents from?
              JESTER: New York and New Jersey.
              THEM: No, no, where are your ANCESTORS from?
              JESTER: What does that have to do with me? I never knew them, and they came here over 100 years ago. Therefore I am American. I am not from nor have I ever lived in any other country.

I usually end it by reminding them that if an Italian-American went to Italy and called himself Italian, the Italians would laugh at him. Ditto Irish-Americans in Ireland, etc., etc., etc. Why? Because they are not Italians or Irish or whatever, they are Americans of whatever descent. And yes, Virginia, there is a difference.

(This all being said, if someone asks me what my heritage is, I will gladly answer them honestly and succintly, without all the smartassery. Because there is a big difference between my nationality (American) and my heritage (Russian-Austrian-Romanian-Polish). Just one of my pet peeves.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Aye, I see where you're getting at. Damn English having many synonyms for similar groups of words. Easy for me though, both my replies would be "English"...

Although I do have an auntie who emigrated to Australia some forty years ago.
                "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

hmmmm....on my mom's side, way back when, they were pirates off the coast of Scotland. Capture the ship, kill the men, bring the women back....no telling what all I may be!
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I have mostly Hungarian mixed with German, Irish, and some Native American (not even sure what tribe) roots, I believe there may be some Italian in there, too but don't quote me.
                    Of my hungarian lineage, half is nobility, and half is gypsy, this happened 2 generations ago in the US, but I like to tell people that I'm the illegitamate son of a concubine.
                    Last edited by dispatch; 11-14-2006, 02:31 AM.
                    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

My parents are both Mexican, but Mexican people are probably some of the most mixed group of people. On my mother side, my great-grandmother is full blooded-red-headed- Irish. There's a persisten rumor that this particular grandmother was a woman of dubious reputation. In other words, we think she was a prostitute. Well, she moved to Mexico with my great-grandfather and spoke spanish with an Irish accent. Cool.
                      Both my parents have a mixture of Mexican Indians (Yaqi), Spanish, Portugese, and Irish.
                      Btw, all of my mother's siblings (AND my mother) have inherited that Irish temper.
                      Do I dare
                      Disturb the universe?
                      In a minute there is time
                      For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                        hmmmm....on my mom's side, way back when, they were pirates off the coast of Scotland. Capture the ship, kill the men, bring the women back....no telling what all I may be!
                        So, you're going to be capturing women?

If you get a few spare, I'm sure my mother would want you to introduce some to me...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Family history can be very amusing.

Funny, my b/f is half Irish and half Portugese, and he says the EXACT same thing.

I'm 1/4 Norweigan, 1/4 German, and as my g'ma says 1/2 Heinz 57. My mom's side is pretty pure Norweigan/German, my dad is a true blue American Mutt. My Great-Grandma always told me that we are direct descendants of Eric the Red.
                          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                            Try being Irish-Red Dutch-German AND Cherokee (1/4 to be exact.)
                            Rock on.

I look Irish, have a German last name, am 1/8 Danish, and waaaaaaaaaay back I can also add English, French and Polish.

{{Most mad props to the Irish, German and Danish, since they make up most of my...whatever the snazzy phrase is.}}
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I somehow ended up with Irish/German/Norwegian ancestry. That explains the reddish hair mixed in with the chestnut brown...and my feisty temper

My ancestors (well, at least on my dad's side) came from Norway in 1850. Most of them settled in Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Most of them were farmers...who had to deal with the occasional Indian attack.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I am Polish, Lithuanian,French-Canadian, and IIRC I am also Dutch. The interesting thing about my family is that most of the men served in the military on both sides, and on my dad's side my great-uncle was a bootlegger in the 20s who worked with Capone and had a few run-ins with the federal government.
                                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Working...
                                X