This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stimulus checks from the government

I don't exactly remember how the conversation got around to the stimulus checks, but this is how it went....
    SC: We all get a stimulus check this year.
    Me: Really? I didn't think we got one this year.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard the government wasn't sending out stimulus checks this year. Instead, President Obama had decided to take less taxes out of our paychecks, resulting in paychecks being a bit bigger for us.
    SC: Of course we get stimulus checks! What planet have you been living on?!
    Me: Um, well that's what I heard on the news and read in the papers.
    SC: You must not be very well informed. Of course we get stimulus checks.
    At this point I don't know what else to say. While I didn't like what the guy said to me, talking to me like I was stupid, I was hoping that maybe something had recently happened where the president had made a change that would allow the government to send out stimulus checks to us. If that indeed was the case, I certainly could use the extra money!
    Well anyway, the guy left, and I asked the next customer if he knew anything about this. He said that the first guy was just joking. Sure could've fooloed me, because the way he was talking to me like I was an idiot, and the way he left after he paid, certainly indicated like he was serious about this.
    God I hate people like that. Couldn't he have at least told me he was joking around?! And did he have to talk to me the way he did, like I didn't know what was going on in the world? Stupid moron!
    Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM.

No, you're right and he's the moron. People who work at getting the stimulus in the form of less taxes off their checks. I believe it's only retirees and the disabled (who can't work) that are getting checks.

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
      Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard the government wasn't sending out stimulus checks this year. Instead, President Obama had decided to take less taxes out of our paychecks, resulting in paychecks being a bit bigger for us.
      I think that's what it's going to be.

The sooner it starts, the better. I can always use more money.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

The sooner it starts, the better. I can always use more money.
        It has already started. About a month ago or so. My checks have been bigger...by about 10 - 15 bucks or so.
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

From what I understand, people on Social Security Disability and other similar payments will receive a small stimulus check of about $250. They did not receive one the previous time.
          Last edited by wagegoth; 05-18-2009, 08:06 PM.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Your SC must have been reading his spam and confusing it with reality again. I bet he gets email from ban ki moon.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              From what I understand, people on Social Security Disability and other similar payments will receive a small stimulus check of about $250. They did not receive one the previous time.
              Yup, we did - nice little suprise too. But is wasn't a stimulus check like last year's. They bumped up the amount of the weekly check by $25 and the $250 check was a back payment to Feb 22nd when it went into effect. It just took them that long to actually get it programed into the system.
              What the guy in the OP's convo might have been thinking of was that when you did your taxes for this year they checked to make sure you got last year's stimulus check properly - and issued you one if you didn't.

Comment

Yeah the Withholding changed so we get a whole extra 9 dollars on our paychecks.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

"Oh really? I'll bet you my upcoming stimulus check that we won't get a stiumulus check this year. If we don't get stimulus checks, then you pay me one of your paychecks."

Is it fair to say that douche/moron is an EW since he's now expecting a stimulus check? Is it also fair to say that the releasing of said checks last year has become an enabler to expect this kind of behavior?
                  Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

I have been getting a stimulus check on with my unemployment. It is only a few bucks extra, but still
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                      Yup, we did - nice little suprise too. But is wasn't a stimulus check like last year's. They bumped up the amount of the weekly check by $25 and the $250 check was a back payment to Feb 22nd when it went into effect. It just took them that long to actually get it programed into the system.
                      What the guy in the OP's convo might have been thinking of was that when you did your taxes for this year they checked to make sure you got last year's stimulus check properly - and issued you one if you didn't.
                      That was what happened to me and mine. Didn't qualify last year, but did this year. Nice little surprise.

Comment

i know a lot of people who are expecting checks

Comment

Just something that has me wincing a bit as a political buff:

President Obama did not make the tax change. The President can support it, but can only really say yes or no to what congress sends him. The President cannot even propose new legislation himself. If they want something done, they have to get allies in Congress to propose and support the wanted law.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                          X