This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishonest customers are the reason the innocent ones suffer

Remember the computer software company called Babbage's? I'm not sure they are around anymore, but they were great for computer and video software. I went into the local one at least once a week, mostly to look, sometimes to buy. This was in the days before computers had CD ROM drives, and the software you bought could be loaded into the computer without having to use the discs.

One day I went in there, and they were just in the middle of kicking this guy out of the place. Since they pretty much knew me, I asked what was going on. It turned out this guy two, three times a week, would come into the store and buy a game for his PC. The next week, he would come back saying it was not working, and get a full refund. It turned out, thanks to a friend of his, he was taking these games home, loading them on to his computer, then bringing the games back, claiming they were defective. In all, this guy cost Baggage's close to $500 by the time his friend snitched on him.

Nowadays, if we have any issues with computer software and it's legit, we can't return it without a hassle, or without having to pay a fee to restock the item. It's due largely in part to people like this. Best Buy is extremely strict on this policy, and they will only trade the software for something that is of equal or greater value (when you agree to pay the difference, that is.) They also have this policy on the returns of things like digital cameras and camcorders, because of the ones who buy them, use them on vacation or at a wedding, then return them for refunds. Guess what, folks? Best Buy does not have the small print in their name saying they're a rental company. Own up to your purchases, or go somewhere else for that crap. We don't welcome your kind.

I remember Babbages! They were the first, i believe, to have video games you could play in their store, and it was always on a touch screen if i remember correctly
    that place was the first video game store i ever went in i think
    wow...

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
      They also have this policy on the returns of things like digital cameras and camcorders, because of the ones who buy them, use them on vacation or at a wedding, then return them for refunds. Guess what, folks? Best Buy does not have the small print in their name saying they're a rental company.
      Oh geez, that was my late great aunt! She bought a camera, used it for her trip to Disney World, and returned it three weeks later. Then she did the same thing two years later when she took a cruise. She was infamous for doing that with clothing and jewelry too - especially if she needed a new dress for a formal affair or a wardrobe for a cruise.

She would BRAG to us about buying new sets of dishes and crystal, using them for a party and then returning them for a refund. She never bought a book that she did not return after reading. She thought it was very clever of her to do it and since she could come off as such a sweet, innocent lady, she always got away with it.

If anyone spoke up about the morality of doing such a thing, she became very defensive and claimed she was not hurting anyone as the store got the items back in perfect condition and (accoridng to her) it was ok because she was on a fixed income (a REALLY nice pension from her husband's business) and "could not afford all those overpriced things and the stores made too much profits anyway."

The first time she was refused a refund on a pair of expensive shoes (worn to a wedding the weekend before) she went hysterical and called me wanting to find out how she could sue the store. I told her that, as she had admitted that there was nothing wrong with the shoes and she had worn them, the store was within its rights to refuse the refund. She did not talk to me for a long time after that.
      Last edited by South Texan; 11-13-2006, 05:32 PM.
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Oh geez, that was my late great aunt! She bought a camera, used it for her trip to Disney World, and returned it three weeks later. Then she did the same thing two years later when she took a cruise. She was infamous for doing that with clothing and jewelry too - especially if she needed a new dress for a formal affair or a wardrobe for a cruise.

She would BRAG to us about buying new sets of dishes and crystal, using them for a party and then returning them for a refund. She never bought a book that she did not return after reading. She thought it was very clever of her to do it and since she could come off as such a sweet, innocent lady, she always got away with it.

If anyone spoke up about the morality of doing such a thing, she became very defensive and claimed she was not hurting anyone as the store got the items back in perfect condition and (accoridng to her) it was ok because she was on a fixed income (a REALLY nice pension from her husband's business) and "could not afford all those overpriced things and the stores made too much profits anyway."

The first time she was refused a refund on a pair of expensive shoes (worn to a wedding the weekend before) she went hysterical and called me wanting to find out how she could sue the store. I told her that, as she had admitted that there was nothing wrong with the shoes and she had worn them, the store was within its rights to refuse the refund. She did not talk to me for a long time after that.

Good for you, not telling your aunt what she wanted to hear. Nowadays, book stores, shoe stores, and electronics stores all have these type of policies in place. They often will not allow refunds but will allow either a store credit, or an exchange on the item for another of equal or greater value. The companies still lose money because when your aunt tells all her buddies and neighbors what she does and how she does it, they'll all catch on and do it.

Buying expensive crystal and flatware, then returning it after a party? Never thought of that one.
        Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 11-13-2006, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
          Why is it that scammers are always on a "fixed income?" Uh, last time I checked, we're *all* on a fixed income. I mean, mine isn't going up simply because I want it to--whatever I get, has to cover all my expenses.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I won't be surprised if we start losing the demo units in stores. A Nintendo DS screen doesn't shatter by accident, nor do the top of a thumbstick snap off by accident.

Comment

Actually, your aunt isn't the only one to do this. Electronics stores have noticed that sales of big-screen TV's increase in the days leading up to a big game (ie: the Super Bowl) and then returns of big screen TV's spike the day after.

As well, I remeber reading a Maxim How-To guide, for how to throw a great Super Bowl party. For the TV, they recommended renting one, or buying one and returning it on Monday.
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I've mentioned in a previous post how we had huge air conditioner sales leading up to a coming heat wave. After the temps cooled we had huge air conditioner returns. All were "defective".
                My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                  She did not talk to me for a long time after that.
                  I'd say it was worth it, considering the kind of person you described her as.

Back to the original post, there was a Babbage's in one of the local malls, but I'm not sure it's still there, at least not in its original name. I think it might be an EB Games or something now.

I'm surprised any place ever accepted returned software, although I guess between the time CD-ROMs were introduced and the time that the CD Burners became affordable, copying wasn't really such an issue. I remember reading an article about the new-at-the-time Windows 95 operating system, and about how a lot of people were returning them because they either couldn't get it to work, or simply didn't like it. Even back then, I was surprised that this was allowed.
                  Last edited by MadMike; 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM. Reason: WTF did I type???
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Babbage's was awesome, I used to save my money up and buy computer and video games there. I do know they were bought out by Gamestop and GS was then taken over by EBgames.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post

I'm surprised any place ever accepted returned software, although I guess between the time CD-ROMs were introduced and the time that the CD Burners became affordable, copying wasn't really such an issue. I remember reading an article about the new-at-the-time Windows 95 operating system, and about how a lot of people were returning them because they either couldn't get it to work, or simply didn't like it. Even back then, I was surprised that this was allowed.

Actually, there was a time when software stores accepted returns, long before customers like this found a way to be abusive. This is why now there are many things in place to deter the customer from being deceptive, like the 15% restocking fee and store credit only instead of a cash refund.

Same thing goes for video equipment, books, DVD's, and CD's. Many have caught on to "I can just read this book, or listen to this CD and burn a copy, or watch this DVD and burn a copy, then return it and they'll never know." As I stated earlier, this is the reason why innocent customers suffer.

Comment

it was ok because she was on a fixed income (a REALLY nice pension from her husband's business) and "could not afford all those overpriced things and the stores made too much profits anyway."
                        If she can't afford something, maybe she shouldn't be buying it. And besides which, how can the store make "too much profit"? That's what businesses do - buy stock at one price, sell it for another (hopefully higher) price, and make a profit.

A fixed income is the reason I pay cash for everything - I like to know that I can walk out of there with my stuff, and not owe anything later, because I know I'd only get myself into trouble with a credit card. I think maybe that's why some people do the 'use once and return' thing.
                        Doing it with a TV or and air conditioner is one thing, but with shoes and clothes, it's just nasty. I mean, I would like to think that the store wouldn't just put them back on the shelf, but my manager once told me to put some returned almonds back into the bulk food bin...
                        God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

My GF used to work in a high-end woman's clothing store. She said Monday was the day women discovered that the clothes they bought the previous Friday had a defect and came in to return them.

They were treating the store as a place to rent fancy party clothes.

GF said women were allowed two returns before they were told that further sales were on a non-refundable/non-exchange basis. And any item with persperation stains, deodorant stains, lipstick and make-up smudges were also non-refundable. She said the screams of outrage when the polcy was implemented were so much fun to hear -- all these rich babes acting all pissy because management was calling them crooks (in som many words).

She also said that teenage girls under 18 were not allowed to buy expensive dresses without a parent actually making the purchase. That's supposed to be standard policy for stores selling prom dresses. A purchase is a sales contract, and teenagers are not of legal age to enter into contracts. They are legally entitled to come in and ask for a refund.

This is also the reason that car dealers will not sell to minors, no matter how rich they are. If the kid wrecked the car five minutes after driving it off the lot, he could ask the dealer for his money back. Legally, the kid is on solid ground.

Comment

I love it. People have posted examples I never would have thought of. The guy's aunt buying expensive china for a party, then returning it.....never would have thought of that one. Or buying a big screen TV for a Super Bowl party, then returning it......another good one.

What's next? Joe Blow goes to Taco Bell, orders a chicken burrito, finishes it, then demands a refund because he didn't like the taste? "Oh, by the way, I can still sue even though you no longer have the evidence. Murderers are being convicted even though the police can't find a body."

Comment

Quoth Zombi View Post
                              If she can't afford something, maybe she shouldn't be buying it. And besides which, how can the store make "too much profit"? That's what businesses do - buy stock at one price, sell it for another (hopefully higher) price, and make a profit.
                              It is the same "logic" that shoplifters use. In her mind her "needing" to have nicer stuff than her income would allow made it ok to "borrow" (the term she called it) expensive items and return them to the stores. Likewise, she justified what she did by declaring that stores made so much money that a little loss would not matter to them. Of course, she was all for law and order and happily would have convicted someone for stealing. She often giggled when using the "borrow" term thinking herself very clever in what she was doing.

I anyone pointed out to her that there actually were stores that RENTED out dishes, formal wear and the like, she would get angry and declare that no one understood her situation and that this was something completely different.

I think there only were a few times her refunds were refused. After the shoe incident, she tried to return a gown that smelled of dry cleaning solution as she had had to have it cleaned after spilling something on it. From what we heard, she blew up and declared she never would shop in that store again when the manager told her the store would not take it back. I am sure the store was glad to hear that.
                              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
                              X