This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifeguarding Observations

Right, so then. I mentioned that I'm currently a lifeguard at the local YMCA. I've only been working about 5-6 months, and I still can't decide if I love it or hate it. Either way, I've already got a story or two to tell...

Background: Okay, so I'm the sap they hired to work the early morning shift (Right now it's 5:30AM to 11:30AM), so I don't usually get to deal with kids. Summertime will change that no doubt (since I'm one of, um, five? lifeguards, two of which will be gone for several weeks), but I'm usually watching over the older population. Yeah, I get to Guard the old ladies excerise class.

Regardless, I'm the one that opens the YMCA's Pool. The policy is that while the REST of the Y is expected to open pretty much on the dot, the Pool gets about ten mintues leeway (give or take). This is SUPPOSED to allow the opening 'Guard to check the pool bottom, make sure the pumps and heaters are working, make sure the hottub/spa area is fine, etc. I've got my own list to go through, basically.

There is ALSO a Pool rule: No Swimming Without Lifeguard On Duty. You'd think this would be OBVIOUS (No lifeguard in sight or in the pool office, no swimming!), but then again, that's giving too much credit. Turns out that the old lifeguard that did the early morning shift was rather lax about showing up anywhere near 5:30, and the STUBBORN OLD PEOPLE got into a habit of swimming without a lifeguard! They apparently also figured that "Hey, the old 'Guard let me do, so this new one will too!"

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I show up one morning pretty much spot on 5:30, just as the front-desk staff (Yes, my grandmother...) opens the doors and hits the lights. Sign in, grab the keys, unlock the pool-lobby door, check the pool bottom, unlock the locker-room doors, go change. While I'm IN THE LOCKER ROOM changing into my swimsuit and shirt, here comes one of the morning swimmers, an elderly gentleman. I give him a polite nod and hello, and promptly get ignored. I step in to the bathroom, and hear the lockers slam shut followed by the pool-door opening and shutting. FOr SOME odd reason, I expected him to wait the extra 30s for me to close my locker and get out to the pool area. Instead, I step out of the locker room and see that he's completed nearly half a lap-length already.
    I decide to wait and talk with him about it AFTER he's done swimming. Smart move, that.

SC: *gets out of the water and starts walking by me to the locker room*
    Me: *waves him down* "Got a moment, sir? Wanna check with you on something..."
    SC: *looks confused that I'm actually TALKING to him* "Uh, sure, what is it?"
    Me: *walks him to the rules posted on the door* "I just wanted to make sure that you knew rule number one here."
    SC: *mumbles something about can't see without his glasses, so I read it to him* "Okay?"
    Me: *calmly* "I know you feel fine swimming by yourself, sir, but I'd appericate it if just wait for me to get out of the locker room before getting in the pool, next time."
    SC: *gives the impression of a puffed-up blowfish* "Well if you opened the pool on time, I wouldn't do that."
    Me: <Oh now it's ON> *eyebrow raise* "Sir, I open my pool within my time limit every day. Further--"
    SC: "I come in somedays and you're not open until five or ten mins after!"
    Me: "--Furthermore, regardless of the pool opening time, the rules are the rules. Sorry."
    SC: "Hey, if these doors are unlocked, it's open and I'm going to swim."
    Me: "Again, you're not supposed to swim without the lifeguard out here, unlocked doors or no."
    SC: *rolls his eyes and heads into the locker room*

OH, but it gets better!
    The Head 'Guard works the shift after me and also teaches the 8:30AM water excercise class. So when she walks in, I beckon my boss into the pool office and tell her what happened, and what I wanted to do about it. She grinned and said "Go for it. Just lemme know if he tries to take it farther."
    SO, the next day when I show up, I alter my schedule: sign in, get the keys, go into the pool, do EVERYTHING else, unlock the guy's locker room door, enter, lock it behind me, and go find my locker.
    Right on time, the SC comes in as I reach mine, pulls off his shirt, throws his keys in the locker, and walks by without even saying hello. Meanwhile, I'm putting my bag up, getting out my towel, ssslllooowwwllllyyyy starting to change. I've managed to pull my shoes off when he comes back around the corner with a very puzzled look on his face.

SC: *With exsaperation* "...So when are you opening the pool?"
    Me: *calmly* "As soon as I finish changing."
    SC: *gears grind this over for a second* "So does the pool not open at 5:30?"
    Me: *getting tired of him* "The pool opens when I'm ready for it to open, sir. I've got a list of things to do before I'm supposed to let people in."
    SC: "Like /what/?"
    Me: *stop untying shoe and glare* "Like check the pool heater, file some paperwork, check the pool bottom for toys, bodies, sharks, broken filters, che--"
    SC: "Sharks?"
    Me: *long-suffering sigh* "Yes, sometimes the closing lifeguard forgets to corral the invisible sharks at night. I also check the hottub and spa area, THEN I need to change into my swimsuit and shirt."
    SC: *mulls this over while I start changing shirts* "So the pool doesn't open until you're ready for it, huh?"
    Me: *assuming it's finally dawned on him* "That's correct."
    SC: *stands up straight, throws shoulders back* "Well, you abuse your authority quite well young man."
    Me: *blink* "I try!"

He then goes back to his locker, and starts changing OUT of his swimsuit. I get done first and calmly go to pool. I notice him leaving the Y's lobby about ten mintues later.

He's been gone about a month and a half now...

((WHOA, that's long on paper. Any advice on how to change this stuff up for later stories? *hides under nub blanket*))

Quoth Sunflash View Post
    ((WHOA, that's long on paper. Any advice on how to change this stuff up for later stories? *hides under nub blanket*))
    Well, first of all, a warm to ! There's plenty of for dealing with the weird ones, and the is in the fridge. I do believe the cookies shall be along shortly.

As for your question, just add something like (long) to the topic title if you think it's needed; many people here do that. We love the gory details.

Enjoy your stay at CS!
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Do you think that enough people will complain about this that they'll ask you to come in, say 10-minutes early and do your walk-through, paperwork and changing so that the pool can be opened at 5:30AM on the dot? Nobody understands 'leeway.' If the sign says open at 5:30AM, that's the time they expect to be able to swim, I can understand that.

By da way, welcome!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Frankly the thought of swimming at 5:30 am is kinda I don't know how people do it.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quite a few gyms (locally) open up around 5am. Mainly because there are people who like to work out...before heading to the office. Me, I can't stand getting up that early--I'd rather work out after dinner
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

@EricKei: Thanks! I'll try to remember the (long) thing as well. :P

@LillFilly: The amusing thing here is the Pool offically closes 30mins ahead of the rest of the Y, so the 'Guard on duty can close up, spray the decks, etc. So there's ALREADY built-in leeway for closing, it's just not stated as blatently for opening. :P

Comment

Quoth Sunflash View Post
              *long-suffering sigh* "Yes, sometimes the closing lifeguard forgets to corral the invisible sharks at night.

did you REALLY say that!? I don't even care if you did. Its hilarious!!!!! When I was younger i really did think there were sharks in pools.

Comment

I miss the local Y back in Florida. They used to let me take my scuba gear in the pool and practice my bouyancy.

Of course, I'm sure it drove the lifeguard bananas...

Anyway, good on you for driving off the SC! Yay!
                "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  Frankly the thought of swimming at 5:30 am is kinda I don't know how people do it.
                  There's a 5:30 AM too?
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post

did you REALLY say that!? I don't even care if you did. Its hilarious!!!!! When I was younger i really did think there were sharks in pools.
                    Ooohhhh yes. Now, to be honest, when I figured out what I was gonna DO, I had decided to try to figure out a few sarcastic comments. This one hit me when I woke up that morning, and I KNEW I had to work it. :P

Comment

see, i'm torn on this
                      on the one hand, i can see this guys point..
                      some young whippersnapper is abusing his authority
                      and he's been swimming longer than you've been born!

at the pool on campus, there are 18 yrold lifeguards who act like they're some kinda gods and try to boss bf and i around about which lanes to swim in and it's annoying....

but on the flipside...
                      you(lifeguards) are trained individuals who are there for protection and safety... and i mean.. really, who knows, a person could have a heart attack and drown or something, right?

so in conclusion, i think the guys an asshole... but i think you could have maybe been less... sarcastic?
                      but he probably wouldn't have ever listened anyways, so it's for the best

(no offense meant to you on your actions, just what i was thinking)
                      sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. - Kusanagi

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        There's a 5:30 AM too?
                        I used to refer to it as "oh-dark-thirty" - picked that up from a military friend. (There's 0-dark-hundred too of course).

Then I got a job where I had to be there at 6:30 a.m. Getting up at 5:30 rapidly turned from "oh-dark-thirty" to "oh-fuck-thirty." Gah. NOT a morning person, here...

Comment

Quoth loveisuneven View Post
                          see, i'm torn on this
                          on the one hand, i can see this guys point..
                          some young whippersnapper is abusing his authority
                          While I can see the guy's point too, about knowing how to swim, the rules is da rules. If the guy won't listen when they're politely enforced, the company has to press a bit. Sure, it could've been handled less sarcastically, but, locking the door so he can't get in? Good call.

As an aside, my brother and I used to take swimming lessons at the Y back when we were very young. One year, first day of class, we're sitting on the poolside, and our classes get gathered up, I with some very short swimmers, and my brother with some older ones. (Bro's 2 years younger than I)... My mind goes, "Uh...?" and, when my instructor tries to put me in one of those foam bubble belts, I go, "Hold on, now, I'm a very good swimmer. I don't need these."

Instructor says, "Better to be safe than sorry," in a placating tone. And I look over to my brother, who's in the lanes, with the older students, and I go, "Oh! I think my brother and I got switched somewhere."
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
                            I used to refer to it as "oh-dark-thirty" - picked that up from a military friend. (There's 0-dark-hundred too of course).

Then I got a job where I had to be there at 6:30 a.m. Getting up at 5:30 rapidly turned from "oh-dark-thirty" to "oh-fuck-thirty." Gah. NOT a morning person, here...
                            I don't think of it as the crack of dawn, I consider it the butt crack of dawn. And yes, I have to be up at that hour too.
                            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Way to lay down the law. I don't feel you were letting your authority get to your head though as others said, maybe a little less sarcasm next time.

And because no one else in this topic has done this, It's fun to stay at the YMCA. They have everything for young men to enjoy. You can hang out with all the boys.
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                              X