This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You must be so proud.

As many of you know, I work as a car audio and electronics installer.

Over the past month or two, it's gotten warm enough that I can work with my bay doors open. That means it's open season for all the idiots who like to crank up their oversize subwoofer systems while they're driving past. Maybe some of them like to play their music that loud all the time, but it's clear that most of them are just turning it up for my benefit.

I don't know if they think I'll be awed, impressed, inspired, discouraged or just run around in circles until the Noise goes away. Maybe they're hoping I'll stop what I'm doing, stand at attention and give them a thumbs-up, nod and wink in recognition of a kindred spirit. Unfortunately, I absolutely Hate these people. The idiots who spend a ton of money just to force their musical "tastes" on everyone around them are the ones who give our entire industry a bad name.

Last night, though, I got one who was a little different.

I usually have my car parked outside my install bay. My car's equipped with an alarm system, complete with a flashing LED light that's visible from the outside. Last night someone driving by in a truck suddenly swerved over and parked next to my car. He proceeded to make enough noise to trigger the impact sensor on my alarm system, causing the alarm to go off.

The most unusual part: this guy didn't have a loud audio system. He just had a loud exhaust. I don't know if it was a glasspack muffler, or just a leaky one, but he was clearly very proud of it; and he proceeded to rev his engine until he made my alarm go off. He had to work pretty hard at it, because I deliberately have my impact sensor set very low. But after about 20 seconds of standing on the gas pedal, he managed to trigger it. Then he happily shifted back into gear and drove away.

I can only assume he does this as a hobby.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

That... makes... sense...?

I do hate when people have a car loud enough to trigger car alarms, whether it's the music or the exhaust. That means it's TOO DURN LOUD! On the street where I work there's usually a lot of nicer cars parked, of course equipped with alarm systems. Every so often you get a super exhaust-y (word?) motorcycle or a person with maybe ten or eleven subwoofers driving down the street so that a whole mess of alarms go off all at once. Voila! Instant headache.
    Last edited by Mnemjian; 06-11-2009, 06:33 PM.
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

lol I can't believe some people .......

Comment

I'd get a cheap LED, Battery, Capacitor combo from Radio Shack, set it up on the dash of my car to make it look like the security is on, and then watch with sadistic glee as the guy tries to make the "alarm" in my car go off.... until either the cops show up and cite him for disorderly conduct, or he hand-grenades his motor.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          I'd get a cheap LED, Battery, Capacitor combo from Radio Shack, set it up on the dash of my car to make it look like the security is on, and then watch with sadistic glee as the guy tries to make the "alarm" in my car go off.... until either the cops show up and cite him for disorderly conduct, or he hand-grenades his motor.

I love this idea... I may have to try it!

Years ago, some guy with a loud stereo had parked in front of a place I worked in... a place which had a LOT of glass in it. The windows were shaking. My boss found the guy and told him to turn it down or else she'd call the cops. He got mad that he had to and left without buying anything...

Personally, I'd love to have enough money and time to put together one of those systems, loud and bad enough to drown out someone else. Then park next to one of those guys and drown them out with "The War of 1812".

Or the Barney song...
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

We get these clowns driving down the alley behind our apartment complex. Some of them actually live around here, but I'm positive a few of them only do it to set off alarms as they cruise through.

How empty and pathetic must your life be that you set of car alarms with your noisy vehicle as some sort of thrill?

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

May I recommend something from a bagpipe and drum corp? Something about bagpipes tends to cut right through the bass.

Comment

A previous neighbor had a second occupation as a part-time thief. As a result, he had an incredibly expensive, incredibly sensitive alarm on his home and his truck. Every frikkin' day, a guy on a Harley would drive by, gun his engine a couple of times, and then ride away when the alarm went off. Bastard.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post

Or the Barney song...
                  Ooooh, evil! Me likey!

Comment

Eeeeg. I've seen that happen in my lot, but I don't think they were deliberately targeting a car. But I've felt bass so deep and loud, I thought my skull was going to implode. Really, the vibrations were screwing with my equilibrium and I became nausious.

They could at least pick music with lyrics; maybe showtunes.
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                      he proceeded to rev his engine until he made my alarm go off.
                      He'd be there a while if he tried it with my car... mine has a fake alarm light, but no actual alarm.

Comment

My old neighbors' son had a loud system like that and liked to show it off. He also had an alarm that had a habit of going off in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. I always thought if he didn't make such a point of "advertising" his stereo system, he wouldn't need the alarm!
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I suggest "O Fortuna" from the Carmina Burana.
                          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

There is one particular street in a suburb here in Sydney where about 90% of all cars with extremely lound stereos go to do "blockies"

They get to the end of said road and have to turn off the main road, drive down a bit, chuck a u-turn and come back. What is so funny to watch (and we have many times) is how they all turn their stereos off as soon as they are off the main drag, then crank them back up to "bone shattering" when they come back up the other way.

If it was at least some decent music, it wouldnt be so bad.
                            "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                            "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                            "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                              Personally, I'd love to have enough money and time to put together one of those systems, loud and bad enough to drown out someone else. Then park next to one of those guys and drown them out with "The War of 1812".

Or the Barney song...

When the hubby and I got married, he had the ugliest truck, with an amazing stereo. You would have never expected that sound to come out of that truck if you hadn't already seen it.

My songs of choice for those moments was "Don't Tread on Me" by Metallica or "Carmina Burana".

Comment

Working...
                              X