This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're not a library!

Today I had this gem of a call. She called not once but 3 times. I almost thought Gravekeeper had sent one of his minions to torment me. But he wouldn't do that, would he? Naaaaah.

Me: [doing my usual phone monkey spiel]
    SC: Yeah, how much it cost to rent a computer?
    Me: I'm sorry, we don't rent computers. Just copiers and other office machines.
    SC: Yeah, but, yeah...so how much?
    Me: I'm sorry, ma'am. We don't rent computers.

She hangs up and I figure all is well. About half an hour later she calls back.

Me: [does my spiel..yadda yadda yadda]
    SC: Yeah..um..if I bring mah liberry (I swear this is how she said it) card, can I rent a computer?
    Me: I'm sorry ma'am, this isn't a library.
    SC: But..yeah..but you guys gots office machines, right?
    Me: Yes, ma'am, we do. We don't rent computers though.

She hangs up again. I wonder if she'll call back again and she doesn't. At least for the next hour. Then she calls again...

Me: [once more does my spiel..when is lunch?]
    SC: Yeah, I been tryin' to find out 'bout rentin' a computer, but you guys won't rents one to me. I don't have no fines. I gots a good record. Why won't you rent to me?
    Me: I'm sorry ma'am. As I told you two previous times, we do not rent computers.
    SC: Yeah..but..they's office machines, right?
    Me: They could be, but they are also personal machines. I'm sorry, but we do not rent computers here. We are not a library. You have the wrong number.

She finally gets into SC mode, swearing at me and telling me I'm racist that I won't rent to her because she's black. Um, no. We won't rent to you because you don't seem to get that we don't rent computers! I hung up in the middle of her tirade and put her on indefinite hold when she called back. She finally got the message (I hope) and didn't call back.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Wow. Words cannot describe how sucky this woman was. I mean, to call 3 times wanting to rent a computer, then having a bitchfest and pulling the race card when told no? Sounds to me like someone needs to stop hitting the juice, it's damaging whatever neurons are left.

Sorry you had to deal with a dim bulb. *hugs*

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
      She finally gets into SC mode, swearing at me and telling me I'm racist that I won't rent to her because she's black.
      Two potential responses to that:

"So am I" Not like she's gonna know and even if it's a lie the pwnage is still awesome.

"...We're speaking on the phone, you could be purple for all i know." Likely to cause more yelling though.

Comment

The way some SC's yell, they probably ARE purple...
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

"So am I" Not like she's gonna know and even if it's a lie the pwnage is still awesome.
          I'd go with this one.

Comment

She finally gets into SC mode, swearing at me and telling me I'm racist that I won't rent to her because she's black.

LET ME ACTIVATE MY CLAIRVOYANCE.

Comment

SC: Yeah, but, yeah...so how much?
              Answer: $500.00 (or however much a new machine is for your company) and you can keep it as long as you like. No returns, exchanges or refunds. Please see our computer affiliate at XXX Computer Supercenter.

Gah. What part of NO couldn't she understand?
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Wow. That woman is not too bright, is she? She is convinced you're holding computers from her because she's black, despite the fact you've never seen her?
                It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post

Gah. What part of NO couldn't she understand?
                  The N and the O.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I would have told the idiot to call the nearest Rent-A-Center... if they'll do the "Rent to Own" thing with video game consoles, MAYBE they'll do it with computers... though I can't say for certain, never been in one of their stores. Still, telling her that would officially make her an SEP... Somebody Else's Problem!
                    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                    --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                      Two potential responses to that:

"...We're speaking on the phone, you could be purple for all i know." Likely to cause more yelling though.

Won't work. I have a coworker who's black and she's been accused of being racist several times.

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                        I would have told the idiot to call the nearest Rent-A-Center... if they'll do the "Rent to Own" thing with video game consoles, MAYBE they'll do it with computers... though I can't say for certain, never been in one of their stores.
                        Yup, RAC does computers in addition to fridges, consoles, tvs, etc.
                        Quoth bankworking View Post
                        Won't work. I have a coworker who's black and she's been accused of being racist several times.
                        If you say you're the same race, they'll just call you whatever bigoted epithet meaning "traitor to the race."

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          Yup, RAC does computers in addition to fridges, consoles, tvs, etc.
                          Good to know!
                          If you say you're the same race, they'll just call you whatever bigoted epithet meaning "traitor to the race."

^-.-^
                          In this case, that would be "Oreo".
                          "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                          --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            The N and the O.
                            Oh, I'm pretty sure she understands that part. I think it's the "It applies to me as well" part that she has a comprehension problem with....
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

They call you racist because they use this word as a weapon. They think it's the worst thing someone can say to you. To them it's the equivalent of you calling them the N word. They think you will cower at their feet and say "No! Please! Some of my best friends are black!" When white people want to call blacks an epithet, there are a lot of different words, including the forbiddn "N" word. However when blacks want to call whites an epithet, it's usually "Racist!" That's how I've experienced this word being used against me anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X