X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want it? YOU bring it! (long)

But I want THAT!

I had purchased my favorite meal from an airport cafe to take on my usual flight from New York to somewhere in the UK. After dinner service was finished, I pulled my purchased food from its hiding spot in the galley, heated it up in an oven, and plated it on extra first class china.

Most passengers in the cabin were sleeping, watching TV, or working. The most I was required to do was walk through the cabin every 10-15 minutes to check on those who wanted more to drink, etc. so it was relatively quiet.

I sat down on a jumpseat with my food when a man came up to use the lav. He stopped to look at my food and screamed, "What is that? Why wasn't I offered that?" I'm confused because he was just served a fairly nice 5-course dinner right after leveling off after takeoff.

Me: Sir, I bought this food in the airport before we left New York. It's [dish name] from [airport restaurant]. Did you not enjoy your rack of lamb? (I am waaaay to nice)
    SC: Yes, but I wanted that! You were deliberately keeping it from your passengers.
    Me: No, this is MY food that I purchased with my own money. It was not furnished by [my airline] and, therefore was not a passenger dinner choice.
    SC: Well, you should share it with me
    Me: No sir, I will not share my PURCHASED food with you. If you would like more food we have [food 1, food 2, and food 3] leftover. I'd be happy to put a plate together for you.
    SC: *stomps off to the lav*
    Me: *finding another place to hide to finish my meal*

Next time, pay for first class!

On US carriers, the curtain between first class and coach is required to be see through. The aircraft model I mostly worked on had a coach lavatory right behind said curtain. When passengers would queue for that lav, they would stare at what we were serving in first class.

At least once a month, one of these passengers would peek their head in and ask to take what's "extra" off of my cart because their food was so bad. I loved telling them no and making them get out of my cabin.

Also, complimentary newspapers were given to first class only. If there were left overs, we'd offer them to the first few rows of coach as a nice gesture. Never failed that we'd hear screaming about newspapers from row 25. Ugh, when it was my call, I'd just set them in the galley and they could have one if they asked.

While I totally understand not wanting to reveal the name of the airline or airport I am curious why you felt the need to not reveal the [dish name] Just curious

And of course what a total twatwaffle of a passenger.
    I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

I'd imagine that some dishes are signature dishes, or so distinctive that they can identify the airline.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        I'd imagine that some dishes are signature dishes, or so distinctive that they can identify the airline.
        But the [dish name] was from [airport restaurant], not [my airline]. Identifying [dish name] and [airport restaurant] would not identify [my airline], unless [my airline] had their own exclusive airport.

Although I do wonder what [dish name] is if someone thinks it's better than a rack of lamb (the airline's signature dish?).

Of course, it goes with out saying (but I'm saying it anyway) that [my airline] is sucky for not providing their flight crews with meals on a trans-Atlantic flight, if that was indeed the case.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

They probably get very lame meals.

Chapookie said it was her(?) favorite dish from this certain cafe. It sounds like it was some kind of personal treat she gave herself.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

LOL at everyone!

Sorry, I got carried away with that stuff. I'm new - I'm really not a douche.

I didn't explain the dish name because I didn't want to share what airport it was and the restaurant can only be found in this airport. Knowing what airport would also give away the airline. However, I'm sure y'all can come to a conclusion when I come up with more stories.

We were provided trans-Atlantic meals but airplane food is really bad for you!

Please excuse the asshattery of my post. I'l do better next time

BTW it was a spicy grilled chicken and rice dish with salad - HAHA! I guess I could've said that much.

Comment

I think it's ok Chapookie, you did the right thing to protect your identity, which is something logical to do. The story was good, enjoyable and well written, you attitude the perfect balance bewteen politeness and responding to an unreasonable passenger... and, I think not knowing at first what the food item was, added to the story as it makes it more evident the passenger might've liked the dish, or might've just been an asshat that dediced he deserved anything just because he couldn't have it, and since he's obviously "supperior" to you as he travels first class and you "work for him"....

:P
              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Hey, don't beat yourself up, there.

You just got a little carried away with annonymizing things. It can happen to the best of us.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Meh, don't worry, be happy! I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out.

And in case nobody else has said it
                  I've lost track of the brain bleach, Evil Queen has the cookies, and the booze is in the corner.

Bliss -
                  Your avatar is disturbing on sooooo many levels!
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    Bliss -
                    Your avatar is disturbing on sooooo many levels!
                    Seriously! I think I liked Hasselhoff and his speedo better...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

...i saved my avie and everything but for some reason it doesn't show...

Comment

OMG you're a flight attendant too?
                        No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                          OMG you're a flight attendant too?
                          I was but quit about a year and a half ago. I couldn't stand getting abused in a tin can anymore! People seem to think that their $500 round trip New York - London ticket buys them the plane, but I'm sure you knew that .

Comment

Quoth chapookie View Post
                            I was but quit about a year and a half ago. I couldn't stand getting abused in a tin can anymore! People seem to think that their $500 round trip New York - London ticket buys them the plane, but I'm sure you knew that .
                            Oh I know, tell me about. I am counting down the days I have left.
                            No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Darn, I was hopeful now that PrincessKatie is quitting, we got a new source for ongoing airline fun! You should hand out some Customers Suck cards to your co-workers on your last day!

Welcome, Chapookie! You did wonderfully, no douchiness involved! (Is that a word? It is now!)
                              "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X