X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaints from a former theater employee

Popcorn's expensive?! No shit?!

So I was talking to one of my friends about this, when we both used to work at Harkins(movie theater chain based in Arizona), and one of the things we hated was how so many people always acted surprised when we told them what the price was for their food order. Ok, I understand being a bit shocked to see bottles of water being sold for $3.50, but surely they know that movie theaters charge criminally high prices for concession items? I usually cut them some slack, since most people are usually nice about it and go on their way, but I've gotten chewed out for it before. It pissed me off, too, because I had to go through it nearly everyday. No matter what, it was either some crabby old bitch or an asshole who showed up in a moderately decent sedan(You know, it's expensive but not like a Bentley or a Rolls Royce, more like a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes sedan, like $50,000-$70,000).

People who leave their trash in the theater and don't bother throwing it away

I know some people like to leave their trash behind in the theater instead of throwing it away in a trashbin and I learned to deal with it, but if you're going to do that, then don't get mad at us when you want to go in the auditorium and we're still cleaning. You're slowing us down when you leave your crap. Don't be a dick, throw it away, we have bins all over the place.

I want in!

Seriously, why do people show up 45 minutes before their movie starts? I know sometimes certain films will be packed, but if it's tuesday and around noon, we're going to be pretty dead. It was like that nearly the whole two years I was there. I've even seen people want to go in before the previous showing is even over. WTF?

Quoth Mordecai View Post
    Popcorn's expensive?! No shit?!
    Been there!

"That's daylighht robbery."
    "I'm going to need a second mortgage for this."
    "You should wear a mask and carry a gun."
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post

Or I could wear face make-up and show you my pencil trick?

RIP Heath.

If you want anything free or cheap at movie theater bring it in yourself, or buy a house that's next to a drive-in that's all I have to say.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
        Been there!

"That's daylighht robbery."
        "I'm going to need a second mortgage for this."
        I heard them all, too, unfortunately. Strange how there's more than 4,500 miles between us, yet both of our customers have the same crappy sense of humor.

Comment

Quoth Mordecai View Post

I know some people like to leave their trash behind in the theater instead of throwing it away in a trashbin and I learned to deal with it, but if you're going to do that, then don't get mad at us when you want to go in the auditorium and we're still cleaning. You're slowing us down when you leave your crap. Don't be a dick, throw it away, we have bins all over the place.
          One of the most depressing things I've ever seen was when I went to see Wall-E, which I loved. Of course, major parts of the movie showcase the HUGE amount of waste that goes with our consumer culture. I was thinking, 'ok, this is a cool angle to look at it from, but it's a little exaggerated.'

Then the lights came on, and people started leaving the theatre. Giant cups of soda, huge bags of popcorn, and massive cardboard boxes of candy were everywhere. Food all over the floor. I got so mad that people could still act like such animals after just seeing a plea for humans to be better than that! ARGH!
          Last edited by JoitheArtist; 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM.
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I show up early to the movies because I want the seats in the center of the theater. If I'm too close, the view of the movie isn't as good and if I'm further back, the view isn't as good. I also don't like to sit on the edges. If you want the best seats, you have to arrive early and be the first one to claim them.

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
              I show up early to the movies because I want the seats in the center of the theater. If I'm too close, the view of the movie isn't as good and if I'm further back, the view isn't as good. I also don't like to sit on the edges. If you want the best seats, you have to arrive early and be the first one to claim them.
              Not only that, you get to catch the trailers which are the best part of the experience IMO.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I show up early to the movies because I want the seats in the center of the theater.
                But do you demand to enter the theatre before they're done cleaning, just to get those seats? I'm betting you wait patiently, right?

I think my worst incident involving someone entering before we were done cleaning was a guy came in, when it was obvious there was already a *massive* line waiting for that theatre, and when I told him he and his kids had to go wait in line, he said he was through waiting in lines, and he wasn't going anywhere. And when I finally had to go get a manager to deal with him, he insulted me on my way out.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Mordecai View Post
                  before the previous showing is even over. WTF?
                  Did that on accident once... went in, saw the ending of the movie I'd gone to see, got really confused, wondering why the movie was so short, and was on my way out when I realized what I'd done. Ruined the movie for me... Lara Croft, Tomb Raider...

I was really only there to check the trailers at the beginning, though, so, not so biggie... but I stayed to watch it fully.
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I always pick up my trash but then I guess I don't look upon theater employees as my little serfs to clean up after me....

Comment

Most cinemas here in Oz have online bokings so you can reserve your seat. Even if you just turn up and buy a ticket, you will be allocated a specific seat. They used to have free for all seating and it was always hilarious watching people run for the "best" seats.

We dont normally eat food during films (maybe the occasional popcorn) and if we do, we dont finish it so we take it with us or make sure we bin it. It's just plain old basic manners to pick up after yourself.

People think being in a darkened theatre is carte blanche to be complete a**holes
                      "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                      "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                      "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

I once got licked out of a theater for bringing in my own food. I tried to argue that the prices at the consession stands were outrageous. Besides, I hadn't had a BBQ in a long time.
                        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

you got LICKED out of the theatre? hmm...i thought that was sexual harrassment...

Comment

Quoth WhiteRose View Post
                            you got LICKED out of the theatre? hmm...i thought that was sexual harrassment...
                            Well, the post said that it was BBQ that was brought in.

But seriously, who brings something super-messy like BBQ into a theater? And don't begrudge them their concsession stand prices: they make just about nothing on the tickets.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think I've shared this before, but it's pretty relevant.

I was on a first date with this guy, and it was going pretty well until the end of the movie we went to see. As we were walking out and I was taking my empty soda cup, he said: "You're not REALLY throwing your own trash away, are you?"

There were other things I didn't like about him, but that one took the cake. Got rid of him pretty fast!
                              "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Working...
                              X