This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer sales....

Last week, I was sent to a refresher course on beer sales as required by our company's responsible vendor contract. Essentially, the responsible vendor status softens the penalties incurred if a clerk was to ever get caught making a sale to a minor in a sting operation. Additionally, the city requires all individual clerks to obtain a beer license through the company. The company pays for our training and certification.

So, I was asked by the training coordinator to verify the status of my beer certificate. I keep it on the bulletin board in the manager's office so it's always availble while I'm working. To my annoyance, I find that it has vanished without a trace. No big deal, though, they can verify it through the company records, but I still have to obtain a new copy.

The next day, I was working day shift. I get this girl who comes in fairly frequently. I can't stand her because she always makes a mess of the coffee bar area, and never lifts a finger to clean up after herself. So, I dislike her anyway. This visit, she approaches the counter with a 6-pack of beer. Our state requires ID on all beer purchases regardless of age. She's yaking away on her cellphone. I ask to see her ID. She acts like it's an imposition as she searches her wallet. She can't find her ID. She apologizes to her friend on the phone that she'll have to call back later, boo-hoo for her.

She storms off to her car at one of the gas pumps to look for her ID. I happen to notice a man sitting in her car. She comes back, and says that she can't find it. I simply remove the beer without saying a word, and inform her that I can't sell it.

While this is happening, our acting manager is counting cigarettes behind me. Our regular manager is out on maternity leave.

Sucktomer starts telling me a sob story about the beer not being for her, it's for her friend in the car, and he is "handicapped." She then asks if she can bring me his ID. I tell her no, I have to see her ID since she's buying it. All other details are irrelevant. She then asks me if I can come out and look at his ID because it's actually for him. I again tell her no.

She starts throwing a fit about me not being helpful. I can fight my own battles, but I still would have appreciated it if acting manager would have said something. Sucktomer stomps off. A little later, she pulls her car up to the door, then stomps back in the door and asks for the corporate number. By this point, I've decided I've had enough of her, especially since acting manager hasn't offered to say anything. I simply tell her it is by the door if she can read and write. I then walk off to do anything else I can find to do. I can feel that overriding urge to tell her off rising in my throat.

Sucktomer leaves without another word. I notice as she's getting ready to leave that she throws some trash on the parking lot. So, I managed to get her plate description, and turned it in for littering and creating a general nuissance. That's been a few days ago. I figured nothing more would be said about it, and it hasn't, but it still pisses me off when people act so freaking stupid about the laws. To top it off, this same sucktomer came in yesterday. She didn't act up or say anything, but seeing her at all was enough to be annoying. I didn't acknowledge her in any way as she was only standing off to the side talking to a customer, and then they left. I just did my job, and ignored her presence.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I hate when people act like that.

Comment

Our store policy for alcohol is to card anyone who appears under fourty. Many local stores (including convenience stores) card everyone. It's in their best interest since losing a liquor license or being fined is baaaad. So why do so many people act utterly shocked when I ask for ID? Strangely enough, it's usually the thirty-somethings that get all bent out of shape about it. I'm just over thirty and I'm thrilled to be carded.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

i bought some beer today.
        i had my id ready before the cashier even asked for it.
        closed the wallet too soon i guess so she asked for it again... but no biggie, it was still in my hand.

i figure... if you're not mature enough to carry the ID when you want to buy, then you probably aren't mature enough to drink it either

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
          Last week, I was sent to a refresher course on beer sales as required by our company's responsible vendor contract. Essentially, the responsible vendor status softens the penalties incurred if a clerk was to ever get caught making a sale to a minor in a sting operation. Additionally, the city requires all individual clerks to obtain a beer license through the company. The company pays for our training and certification.
          The philosophy behind that makes my brain itch a bit...

If we can't prove you know any better and you sell liquor to a minor, we hit you with a huge fine.

If we know damned well that you know better, well, we'll reduce the fine for you.

(Of course it's just an incentive for business owners so that they get their staff to go to the training, but still)

Comment

Quoth VComps View Post

If we can't prove you know any better and you sell liquor to a minor, we hit you with a huge fine.

If we know damned well that you know better, well, we'll reduce the fine for you.

(Of course it's just an incentive for business owners so that they get their staff to go to the training, but still)

I assume it lessens the penalty to the business. If an employer doesn't train there staff properly they deserve all the fines they get. If they choose staff carefully, train them appropriately, fire them if they break the rules, etc. etc. it seems rather harsh for them to get hit with the same penalty if a lone employee messes up.

I think that's the philosophy.

Does it make any difference to the penalty paid by the individual staff member ?

Victoria J

Comment

No, it still results in job loss and fines. Some people have said clerks can get jail time, but I've never heard anything official about that. In any case, as far as I'm concerned, no ID, no beer, end of discussion. What does make me cringe is that I've noticed a couple of newer clerks simply asking for birthdate without checking ID as required by law. I gently remind them to look at the ID when I witness it, but beyond that I'm not management and can't make them do it.

The other thing that kills me are the people who try to buy beer without ID, say they know they're supposed to have their ID, then acknowledge that they don't have it on them. They don't get sucky by throwing a temper tantrum or anything of that nature, they just simply fail to produce an ID which ends up with them walking out empty-handed as well as empty-headed. I guess that may be the sting operation in action, but I was under the impression that a law enforcement official would come in afterward to flash their badge and inform you that you passed if it was a sting operation. That has never happened to me in these instances.
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I guess that may be the sting operation in action, but I was under the impression that a law enforcement official would come in afterward to flash their badge and inform you that you passed if it was a sting operation. That has never happened to me in these instances.
                not if they are trying to catch a bad employee because if they reveled themselves to you you may tell your co-workers and the one selling to minors goes major hard ass for awhile so as not to be fired and jailed

Comment

Quoth VComps View Post

The philosophy makes sense IF you change from thinking "the govt just wants lots of money in fines" to "the govt would like to prevent minors from getting booze 'cause that's bad." I assume the lower fines are an incentive for employees to go, so they do learn and (in theory) prevent more underage drinking. A bit altruistic for the gov't though, so maybe I'm crazy.
                  "This isn't a home, this is a swirling vortex of entropy." - Sheldon "The Big Bang Theory"

Comment

...What does make me cringe is that I've noticed a couple of newer clerks simply asking for birthdate without checking ID as required by law...
                    I hate it when my coworkers do that. Or allow third party sales if the other person has ID. I flunked company audit (as opposed to law enforcement) once; since then I've followed company policy exactly as written, no exceptions. I'm the "asshole" who insists on ID for anyone who looks remotely under 27, who makes everyone take said ID out of their wallets, who refuses the sale if it's damaged or expired, and who refuses let someone else buy if for them.
                    Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Quoth alphaboi View Post
                      I'm the "asshole" who insists on ID for anyone who looks remotely under 27, who makes everyone take said ID out of their wallets, who refuses the sale if it's damaged or expired, and who refuses let someone else buy if for them.
                      And you're the one who won't be getting fined/fired/jailed when there's a sting on your shop.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X