This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice try.

Today a would-be scammer put in $20 of petrol, hung the handle up, then picked it up and put in another $20. The scam comes in when he went into the shop and tried to get away with only paying $20. Then acted like he thought the pump wasn't working so that's why he hung it up. Eventually he paid the whole $40.

He probably would have gotten away with it if one particular co-worker had been working. (How bad is she? She budgets on $50 a week less than her actual wages because she gets so many preventable thefts or people who "forget" to pay. If it's our fault, it comes out of our wages... I had two in my first week but that was all.)

Is that legal? Docking the employee's pay for thefts?
    You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Probably not (tho it would vary by state/province, I imagine). Not that that would actually stop some business owners from trying it.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I dunno, that just sounds.... wrong. Hell, in my company, we've had a case of two warehouse workers doing a forklift race on the clock, and when one of them botched a turn and smashed his forklift into a steel gate (ruining both in the process), he wasn't even written up, much less made to pay for it...
        You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

well it makes sense....i mean, they're LOSING money on these people, the people should pay them back...

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
            Is that legal? Docking the employee's pay for thefts?
            If the theif blatantly fills up and drives away without even entering the store, then the CSR doesn't have to pay because it's obviously an intentional theft. If they come into the store and buy a drink or something and the CSR doesn't charge them for the fuel they took, it's the CSR's fault.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
              If the theif blatantly fills up and drives away without even entering the store, then the CSR doesn't have to pay because it's obviously an intentional theft. If they come into the store and buy a drink or something and the CSR doesn't charge them for the fuel they took, it's the CSR's fault.
              That makes sense... it would really suck if you had to pay when somebody just stole any old thing and it was completely out of your control
              !
              "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

I know that in the US (I think all states) it's quite decidedly against the law for a company to take wages to make up for a shortage in the till.

I have no idea about other countries, though.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

He probably would have gotten away with it if one particular co-worker had been working. (How bad is she? She budgets on $50 a week less than her actual wages because she gets so many preventable thefts or people who "forget" to pay.

We had a girl like that at the laundry mat I used to work at. She worked weekends and people would "prey" on her(boss's word) on her because she was too scared to argue with them. It got so bad that she wasn't allowed to give refunds anymore,they had to fill out a refund slip.And guess what people stopped coming in just on weekends,Scumbags

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
                    We had a girl like that at the laundry mat I used to work at. She worked weekends and people would "prey" on her(boss's word) on her because she was too scared to argue with them.
                    My coworker just doesn't pay attention.

Comment

Working...
                    X