This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, This Will Take a Bit of Time...

One thing every Librarian and anyone else who deals with books knows is that when a Patron says,

"I just have one, quick question"

The Librarian's heart will sink and Dementors will be sensed in the vicinity. There will be many questions since the first question will not be easy to answer.

I haven't one of those in quite a while but I got one today.

It was a phone call and the guy had a vaguely superior air when he asked for a "Smart Librarian". (Cue Jaws music)

Back in 1965, our Museum had hosted a show of objects owned by a collector I'll call Joe Blow. Our caller wanted to learn all he could about Mr. Blow. What did he do for a living? What was his family like? Was he still alive?

I took a quick look at our exhibition index. All it told me was that this was a small show and no formal catalog was published. Any further research would have to be done through Archives.

What follows is a rough reconstruction of our phone conversation.

JBR: Joe Blow Researcher (Who doesn't want to exert any effort.)

ME: Hi, Guys! Get the cookies and the drinks ready! I'm bringing the hummus, taboulah and ice cream.

JBR: Fine. Transfer my call to Archives.

ME: No one is going to know about this show off the top of their heads there either, Sir. Your question may take some time to answer. The best way to do this is to send an Email to (gives address). You'll probably receive an answer on Monday or Tuesday.

JBR: (Verging into Suckiness) That's not good enough. No one ever responds to Emails and I need an answer now! I can't believe that there's nobody there who doesn't remember that show and can tell me about Joe Blow!

ME: I'm sorry, Sir but I sincerely doubt that anyone now working in the Museum was working here in 1965. Certainly, no one in Archives has. Email is the best way to go with a question like this. I assure you, you will be answered.

JBR: (very sulkily) Very well. What's that address again? (Long, heaving, resigned sigh)

He gets the address.

JBR: Thanks for nothin' I thought you guys would be better than this.

(Click)

PS: I received the phone call at about 11:30 AM. He didn't send a message before I left for the day at 4:30 PM.
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
    JBR: Joe Blow Researcher (Who doesn't want to exert any effort.)<snip> No one ever responds to Emails <snip> I received the phone call at about 11:30 AM. He didn't send a message before I left for the day at 4:30 PM.
    I think we may have found the problem.......

Mr JBR doesn't realize you actually have to send the email-or maybe he sends it parcel post?
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

1965? I wasn't even born then.

I get the feeling it only felt like yesterday to said patron.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        1965? I wasn't even born then.
        Don't worry. You didn't miss much.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          Don't worry. You didn't miss much.

Yes, he did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            Funny, I know I read newspapers at the age of 9-10, I still can't remember most of the news.
            I remember that Pakistan and India was at war and I remember reading about the Gemini 4 spacewalk, that's all.
            I remember that it was a nice year. I was allowed to go to the beach alone and I got a new bicycle that summer , that meant lots of swimming in the summer holiday.
            I don't think I would have missed it...

Comment

Working...
            X