This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Requests From A C-Store Slave...er...Clerk

So, as you all may have guessed, I work at a c-store. For those of you in the midwestern states, it starts with C and rhymes with laceys. Anywho...If I could make a few requests of my customers, these would be it:

1) Don't walk around the end of the counter and grab your own chew. Seriously, I've been working here long enough to know where the stuff is. ASK next time!!

2) Actually put your cigarette butts in the receptacle just outside the doors. It's not difficult, and for fugs sake, you're at a gas station! Don't you think there might be a slight element of danger to throwing a hot cigarette butt on the ground?

3) Kindly remove yourself from my counter. Yes, you, the sweaty, smelly, overweight man using the counter as a leaning post while I ring you up. Off the counter. NOW. I don't want to have to disinfect the counter before I wait on the next person in line!

4) If I ask you for ID, don't roll your eyes, throw a fit, etc. Just give me the darn ID. Yes, I'm serious. No, I won't sell you beer/cigs/lottery tickets without. Stalk out the door all you want. I don't care. The law is the law!

5) Don't b*tch at me about gas prices!!! I have no control over them! Same for cig prices! Just get your stuff and get out!

6) Don't lay your stuff at the counter, then hold up my line running back and forth for more stuff, and "oh, one more thing". Annoying, and honestly...I WILL go to the person next in line!

7) Don't tell me to "Smile!" because I automatically won't do it if you do. I'm sorry that I'm not Little Mary Sunshine. Maybe if I didn't deal with ignorant customers all day...Oh, did I say that out loud?

8) Tease me about my height if you must (I'm five feet tall), but don't expect the most jolly response from me. I may be used to it, but that doesn't mean I like it.

9) Don't come in at the last minute and expect to be able to use your EBT or get Powerball tickets. I shut those machines down ASAP when I close. I'm sorry I denied you your junk food binge. The gas station across the street is open 24 hours, as is the one down the road. Go bother them!

and, last but definitely not least...

10) DO NOT THROW STUFF AT ME! I only had this happen once, on Christmas Eve, I think. It was the first one I worked, and I was with our former AM. A guy came in ranting about a disposable camera that we had supposedly sold him, saying it didn't work and he wanted a refund. The AM looked at it, found no store sticker on it, and he didn't have a receipt to prove he'd gotten it at our store, so she refused the sale. He ranted and raged, and next thing I knew, threw the camera at us like he was pitching a fastball! Thankfully, it went between us and bounced off the cigarette rack to the floor, but it was still scary, and uncalled for. A tip to my current and future customers: We couldn't turn him in, because he didn't give a name or anything, and we had no cameras then, but we have cameras now. Five of them, all on the cash register/front counter area. Throwing things at the clerk will NOT work out in your favor.

I'm sure I can think of other things, but I'll save them for later. Hopefully I'm not repeating things others have said. I just had to get this all out of my system, before it drove me insane! I'm sure you all know the feeling! Anyway, hope you've enjoyed my very first post and have a great day/afternoon/evening!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
    Hopefully I'm not repeating things others have said. I just had to get this all out of my system, before it drove me insane! I'm sure you all know the feeling! Anyway, hope you've enjoyed my very first post and have a great day/afternoon/evening!

Sadly, I have noticed it doesn't matter where in the world you live, customers are essentially the same. A truism this site has taught me, human nature thrives regardless of country or culture.

Fortunately we never get tired of hearing about it so bring it on.
    Tamezin

Comment

I had customers throw things at my coworkers when I worked at gamestop It's not fun and I don't understand how in the world they think it's okay to do that just because they're mad.

You need the wall of death at your store. It'd at least help with the sweaty people leaning on your counter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dssf4YB_OlU (Plaidman posted this in check it out a while back, it is awesome)
      Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Okay, I'll admit it. I was the guy leaning on the counter. Depending on which C-Store you're at, of course.

Okay, maybe not. I do have that habit, though. I'm not trying to lean over to look at the register or pull stuff from behind (though some aholes do). I do it because it takes pressure off of my back and knee. But I don't do it when I'm sweaty and if asked, I will always remove myself from the counter.

If it was me, I apologize. Please don't hit me with the wall
        Last edited by Nurian; 06-30-2009, 04:27 PM.
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
          I had customers throw things at my coworkers when I worked at gamestop It's not fun and I don't understand how in the world they think it's okay to do that just because they're mad.

You need the wall of death at your store. It'd at least help with the sweaty people leaning on your counter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dssf4YB_OlU (Plaidman posted this in check it out a while back, it is awesome)
          In my all time at games stores I've only heard of this happening once. An old manager of mine had a discount card flung at him when he declined to reverse a trade transaction a customer had made a couple of days prior.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
            In my all time at games stores I've only heard of this happening once. An old manager of mine had a discount card flung at him when he declined to reverse a trade transaction a customer had made a couple of days prior.
            I never had it happen to me, but my coworkers had a WoW game box thrown, (can't remember why for that one), a strategy guide because it didn't come free with the game, and an instruction manual because the game was so scratched we wouldn't take it.
            Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
              So, as you all may have guessed, I work at a c-store. For those of you in the midwestern states, it starts with C and rhymes with laceys.
              My friend absolutely loves the pizza your stores sell. I don't get it. It's just pizza.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                My friend absolutely loves the pizza your stores sell. I don't get it. It's just pizza.
                It's not really. It's different some how. And tasty!
                I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                  I never had it happen to me, but my coworkers had a WoW game box thrown, (can't remember why for that one), a strategy guide because it didn't come free with the game, and an instruction manual because the game was so scratched we wouldn't take it.
                  Strategy guides that come FREE with the game! Man I wish I could find that deal somewhere.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

and the doughnuts, don't forget the doughnuts.
                    They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post

can I get that wall at my store? Too cool.

Comment

I've been noticing more and more of this 'throwing things at the clerk' phenomenon going around.

WTF?

My boys were taught at a very young age that it's was unacceptable to throw any manner of things that were not deemed for throwing. This list included, but was not limited to: inanimate objects, our pets, each other, their parents, etc, etc. You get the idea.

But WHO raises these kids, that eventually grow up (loosely termed) to be the 'heroes' in these stories??? Who actually THROW THINGS at clerks, usually whilst in the midst of a temper-tantrum over not getting their way!

Sheesh! What's an even MORE futile exercise than trying to figure an SC?? Trying to figure out how the SC was RAISED!!!
                        Last edited by Peppergirl; 07-01-2009, 06:18 AM.
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                        X