This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Where You're Going!

Background: The wholesale club is run by a bunch of cheap assholes. They don't schedule a cart retriever everyday, but our operational procedures dictate that we have to have a full stock of carts inside and at least one row in the vestibule before going home at night. Thus, on days when the cart guy's not there, someone has to go and do carts. Mondays and Wednesdays, that's me and my coworker, JB.

JB and I are pretty efficient at it by now. We use the automatic cart pusher (which needs some work done, but it suffices for two-man jobs), line up 45 carts in a go, spaced with one of our older carts every 15 carts to stabilize the train so it doesn't serpentine all over the place.

Anyway, tonight, I take a moment after delivering one train of carts up to the store to grab a bottle of water, and as I head back out into the lot to join JB, I see this silver Ford van go blithely past him, with JB glaring after it. When I get to him, JB explains.

JB had parked our three stabilizer carts in an empty parking space while he was getting ready to go to the cart corral to start lining up carts. As he was crossing the empty space between the corral and where he'd parked the stabilizers, the van had come straight at him. JB had gotten out of the way, but the driver didn't slow down.

We both watch as the van parks in the next row of spaces, and the driver gets out, doesn't even look at us, and heads on over to the Wally World next door to our store.

JB has a few choice words to say about the guy, whom we've seen before in the lot. He has a penchant for cutting it close when the cart guys are active in the lot. I convinced JB to get the guy's license plate and make/model and tell the managers about him, so we can leave a paper trail in case something like this happens again. He takes a picture of the guy's license plate and van model with his cell phone.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

I feel like there should be more you could do. Is it legal to report them to the police at all? Isn't there SOME law that can get them ticketed for recklessly endangering lives?

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
      I feel like there should be more you could do. Is it legal to report them to the police at all? Isn't there SOME law that can get them ticketed for recklessly endangering lives?
      Yes actually, it's a parking lot, pedestrians automatically have the right of way.
      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
        Yes actually, it's a parking lot, pedestrians automatically have the right of way.
        Really? I wish someone would tell that to the jackasses around here.

Comment

The way I understand it, yes. At least around here (Florida). Parking lots are basically like giant crosswalks.

Pedestrians go first, and if you hit one, you're screwed.
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I was almost hit by a driver collecting carts once. I was almost to the store and this moron drove by the store at 35-40 MPH. At a turn in the road near the store they lost control and hit the base of a light pole. They were late picking up their kid from a child care center that used to be in the plaza.

Cops came and the moron had no DL or insurance or something like that. They ended up getting arrested and having the car towed.

Comment

Working...
            X