This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sighs* Do they ever learn?

Time for another story from the Medicine Hat! This one happened just this week.

During the early evening, after the rush died down and all of the doctor's offices were closed, somebody decided to bring in a prescription for a very much controlled substance. Nothing out of the ordinary, right? Sadly, if that were the case, I wouldn't be posting here.

DSL: Drug-seeking lady
    Me:

DSL: "I have no insurance, how much would this be if I were to pay cash for it?"

Me: "I don't know offhand, ma'am. I have to run it first and then I'll let you know. (Sure, I CAN check the cash price right now, but I'm going to check for active insurance to make sure you're not BSing me.)

*about 30 seconds pass*

DSL: "How much is it?"

Me: "I haven't run it yet. I'm going to need about 20 minutes." (Plenty of time to check things out)

DSL: "Okay"

*She hovers for a good five minutes.*

In the meantime, I root through and find an insurance. I run it and it's active! Looks like she got this filled only a week or two back. The plot thickens...and then she wanders away from the drop off zone. Thank God.

I then call the insurance and find out that it was filled at Big Pharma. I then call Big Pharma and get a confirmation that she got a bunch of this drug under insurance...and it's the same dose...AND a different doctor's office.

I leave a message for the doctor for this Rx as well as the doctor for the previous Rx, while also warning Big Pharma about her. After gathering the evidence...

Me: Hey, DSL?

DSL: Yeah?

Me: I can't fill this. You told me you didn't have any insurance when you actually did. I checked the insurance and this is WAY too soon. I'm not filling this until I get a doctor's okay tomorrow.

I start to walk away with the Rx.

DSL: You keep the prescription?

Me: Yes, I do.

DSL: (fully deflated and with a defeated look on her face) Oh...okay.

*she leaves without argument*

The next day, I got reports from both doctors that they won't be seeing her anymore. Another big win for us!
    Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Good one for you! That was so awesome. Get the fake drug seeking people out of here so us good people who really need the medication can get it without hassles.

Comment

To be honest, I was expecting her to make a big stink over her not getting her fix meds. Good on reporting her!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Good Job! Just last week I saw a few cops talking to our pharmacist who had a stack of paper work in hand. Probably a similar situation.

Comment

Iris,

There have been times when I wanted a price quote on a pharmacy drug, but was told "We can't do that unless we fill the script and then ring it up." IMO that's horsepucky, but I wanted to ask you about that. I don't always have insurance, so that's why I wanted to do price checks on 2 script only medications.

Are/were these people pulling my leg?

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
            To be honest, I was expecting her to make a big stink over her not getting her fix meds. Good on reporting her!
            She wasn't after a fix, she was after a profit.

I know a lot of people who sell of controlled meds.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm a little surprised that it wasn't a 'call the police' sort of event if this script is highly controlled.

Comment

*stretches and wakes up* Good morning, everyone!

Believe me, I was pleasantly shocked too. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Iris,

There have been times when I wanted a price quote on a pharmacy drug, but was told "We can't do that unless we fill the script and then ring it up." IMO that's horsepucky, but I wanted to ask you about that. I don't always have insurance, so that's why I wanted to do price checks on 2 script only medications.

Are/were these people pulling my leg?

Cutenoob
                With most, if not all systems, it is easy to look up the cash price on any given medication. Personally, I'll ask if they have insurance or a discount card (the second part is key as while discount cards technically aren't insurance, they're treated the same in most systems). If they don't, then I can look up the cash price right away. Even so, if it is for a large price list of cash meds, it would definitely take me some time, especially if we're really backed up.

In my case, I very easily could have given her the cash price right away, but my mental alarms were going off and so I needed a stalling tactic.

Short answer: It depends on how you worded it. Just let them know up front that you don't have insurance or any other sort of card and you should get an answer right away.
                Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

Quoth Iris Kojiro View Post
                  Short answer: It depends on how you worded it. Just let them know up front that you don't have insurance or any other sort of card and you should get an answer right away.
                  Not a pharmacist or assistant, but I'd imagine that it would also depend on the medication the prescription is for. Amoxycilin? No problem. Oxycontin? Pharmacist's mental alarm bells start ringing.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

primidone/mysoline, aka an OLD barbituate deriviative that controls seizures.

It's just that this "we don't do price quotes unless we fill it" happened at 2 different pharms, Safeway and IIRC a Walgreens. It seemed strange, because, well, I was trying to save money, by buying from a place w/o insurance.

No problem. Now I know it's not always a procedure, but more of a stalling, I may escalate to a manager next time I need a price quote w/o insurance.

Thanks for the info.

Cutenoob
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
                    X