This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Copy Center Lingerers

This one's a little on the long side......

OK, so at my office supply store, as I've mentioned, we have a copy & print center with a self-service area. It's actually pretty nice, being one of only two parts of the store with carpeting. Plus there's a nice work table with stools and complimentary paper clips, staples, etc for people to get their papers and copies organized. Overall, a nice little perk for the customers. The thing is, there are some people who abuse the privilege. They'll stay for a long time, and sometimes in the VERY early morning (we open at 7AM) they'll come in with coffee (fair enough) and food (wtf?) and then after finishing up using our copy center as their own private office, LEAVE THE TRASH BEHIND! This only bothers me a little, but drives the copy center associates nuts, as they are the ones responsible for keeping that area clean. And there are no less than three trash cans and two recycling bins just in the self-service area, plus another large trash can at the main entrance that EVERYONE passes by to leave the building, so there is just no excuse for not throwing your trash away. And of course, since they don't do anything wrong while they are there, we can't say anything about it. Annoying.

Anyway, that's the general complaint. Onto the specific ones.

My store has two different guys who I have labeled the "Copy Center Lingerers" (for lack of a better term). Both are older gentlemen.

The first is a guy who for several weeks straight came in almost every single day and would spend literally HOURS sitting at the table organizing large piles of papers (which he somehow crammed into a relatively small attache bag), filling out paperwork, and making only a few copies (usually less than 10 in total). Periodically he'll come over to the registers to pay for what he's copied so far. Now, this guy really isn't an SC per se, but he kinda creeps me out, because he has at least a few marbles rolling around loose, if you catch my drift. He's plenty polite, but I'd just as soon be gone with him. I've learned the hard way to NOT ask him if he has a rewards card (we're supposed to ask everyone every time) because after a few times of saying no and declining to sign up, he bluntly told me that "I am not going to live long enough to ever collect anything from these programs. It's called 'cancer' and it's going to kill me."

OK. I accepted that at face value when he told me, and at first felt a little sorry for him. I thought maybe what he was doing every day was trying to get his affairs in order.

Well, after he'd been coming in almost daily for several weeks, I said something to a co-worker about how "our resident cancer patient was here." (He'd just walked in).

She didn't know who I was talking about, so I explained briefly.

Her: "Oh, he doesn't have cancer."

Me: "What? He told me he did, which is why I no longer ask him for a rewards card."

Her: "Well, he's told me more than once that he doesn't want one because he's going to be kidnapped by aliens next week."

Me: "Ahh............." *the pieces begin to fall into place* He must have paranoid delusions or something (hence my earlier comment about him not being quite right).

Shortly after that he stopped coming, so I thought perhaps he'd finally succumbed to his cancer or been kidnapped by aliens (not that I actually believed the second part, but you know...).

But he came in today after an absence of nearly a month, looking none the worse for wear. When I saw him, I warned the new girl not to ask him for a rewards card if he came through her line (though it might have been interesting to find out if he had a third, different excuse for her).

Ok, like I said, really not an SC, but the next guy, Lingerer #2, recently elevated himself to SC status.

This guy, like the first, comes in just about every day and spends an inordinate amount of time at the copy center. Except instead of doing paperwork, it takes him this long to figure out how to get the machine to make the 2 or 3 copies he makes each day. Yes, it takes him an hour or more to make 2 or 3 copies. You'd think that after the first few times, he'd get the hang of it, but not this guy. And he always declines help from the CC staff. And he never buys anything else. And he always wants a bag for just a few sheets of paper, even when it's not raining. And like Lingerer #1, I never ask him for a rewards card. Also, he's Asian, so he doesn't speak English very well, which only complicates matters further.

Now all this would merely be annoying, except for a recent incident. He came up to my register to pay for his three copies ($0.18) and gave me a quarter. In giving him his change, I just happened to pull out an extremely corroded, dirty penny from the till. I didn't give to him out of spite; it just happened to be at the top of the pile.

Well he was PISSED about it. He literally threw the penny down on the counter and yelled "I WON'T ACCEPT THAT!!!!!!!" The penny bounced off the counter and landed somewhere on the floor behind me.

I was stunned, too stunned to even get mad at the guy. I could not believe that anyone could get angry over the condition of a penny. A PENNY! One bleeping cent! Not enough to buy anything, so quite literally not worth getting mad about. JEEZE!

Unable to think of anything suitable to say, I just gave him a shinier penny that was lying loose on top of the register, and he went away. He is now an official SC in my mind, and my shoulders sag a little whenever I see him come in. And I make a point of giving him the shiniest pennies........

A penny. I honestly don't think there's anything SMALLER to get mad about.....
    Last edited by Dave1982; 11-22-2006, 03:25 AM. Reason: typos
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
    A penny. I honestly don't think there's anything SMALLER to get mad about.....
    I do believe that Over The Pond, they have half-pennies and all. Cheers, mate!

Comment

Don't most stores have rules about bringing in food and drink?
      Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

Quoth BlakeMP View Post
        Don't most stores have rules about bringing in food and drink?
        To the best of my knowledge, there is no official policy about this in my store, and I've never heard management say anything about it. I mean, coffee is fine, but bringing in and eating your breakfast in a retail store is ridiculous. Eat it in the car, then come in.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
          I do believe that Over The Pond, they have half-pennies and all. Cheers, mate!
          Um, not since the late seventies, we haven't.

I miss them, actually. Now you have to use a five pence piece if you want to get a coin stuck up your nose. Much more expensive to be a child these days.

Rapscallion

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2828819.stm

"The halfpenny coin's fate was sealed when it became more expensive to make than its face value."

1984 the ha'penny ceased being legal tender. I miss it, the sweet shop did 2 flying saucers for a ha'penny
            *scruff feeling her age*

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              Now all this would merely be annoying, except for a recent incident. He came up to my register to pay for his three copies ($0.18) and gave me a quarter. In giving him his change, I just happened to pull out an extremely corroded, dirty penny from the till. I didn't give to him out of spite; it just happened to be at the top of the pile.
              I've had something like this happen to me. It was with a "regular" customer, a lady i had gotten along well with before.. until the night she came up and asked for change of a dollar. I grabbed the top four quarters and gave them to her. She took three steps, stopped, turned around, was really pissed, held up one of them and asked "What the hell is this?" Uh.. a quarter? "It's a Canadian quarter!!! " I replaced her quarter, but instead of giving it back, she took the Canadian one and threw it away.

Maybe she was having a bad day? I don't care. I haven't been nice to her since.

Comment

Quoth Getoutofmylobby View Post
                I've had something like this happen to me. It was with a "regular" customer, a lady i had gotten along well with before.. until the night she came up and asked for change of a dollar. I grabbed the top four quarters and gave them to her. She took three steps, stopped, turned around, was really pissed, held up one of them and asked "What the hell is this?" Uh.. a quarter? "It's a Canadian quarter!!! " I replaced her quarter, but instead of giving it back, she took the Canadian one and threw it away.

Maybe she was having a bad day?
                Or she grew up in Illinois, New York, or some other state where they care about that.

Comment

I accidentally gave someone a canadian dime once. They complained to the manager about me.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                    I accidentally gave someone a canadian dime once. They complained to the manager about me.
                    That's rather excessive. I never bitch about US change I get.

Comment

I had an older gentleman give me a 10 minute lecture on how Canadian currency weakens the U.S. economy, causes inflation, and in general screws us over.

I had given him a Canadian nickle as change.

I am careful now about giving Canadian money as change not because I "learned something" from this guy but because I don't want to be lectured again .
                      My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Update!

I stopped by my last job after work yesterday (I'm still on good standing there, and still shop there, so this is not a bad thing) and was talking with BC (one of the full-timers) who told me that my "Terminal Guy" had come in that afternoon. it threw me for a minute until I realized he was talking about Lingerer #1. He had come in, and BC had given him the customary "Hello. How are you today?" to which he had replied "Terminal. How about you?" We compared notes about his description and yep, it was him.

He was interested in the spacecraft models (this is a hobby shop) and then proceeded to tell BC about the spacecraft he's building for himself so he can escape when the aliens come to get him. It'll be spherical, so that he can set it spinning to create gravity on the inside. Then he was looking at a model of a proposed CHinese spacecraft and commented "I think they're gonna get to the moon before us........" Then talked about using his spacecraft to go to Mars.

This has removed ALL doubt in my mind that he's crazy.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                        X