This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just get over it!

Don't you just hate it when the customer gets annoyed at you for doing the right thing?

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS check credit card signatures. I know that most places around here don't do it, and even some other cashiers in my store don't do it, but I always do.

But a couple of times, people have signed and then put their card away straight away, and then when I ask to check the signature, they have given me dirty looks.

Hey, guess what? I DON'T CARE! Because if someone stole THEIR credit card and used it at my store and got away with it, the first person they are going to get angry with is ME for not checking the signature and refusing the sale!
    'Our brightest days are yet to shine'
    'You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same'

Nothing wrong with doing the right thing. That's just like when I'm taking orders in drive-thru and I'm repeating things and asking if the customer would like to add whatever to their order. I'll repeat their order back a lot just to make sure it's correct and you can hear them in their car talking !@#$ or they drive off midsentence.

I hate that $#@!. -takes a deep breath-

Comment

A big one for me is offering a carry-out with groceries. We are required if a customer has 2 or more bags, to ask if they would like help out. And its not just limited to bags. A gallon of milk and a bag? I must offer. A bag and a case of soda? I must offer.

Of course, most people are quite capable of carrying two bags out the door, so when I ask, I oftentimes get attitude.
      "Do I look that helpless?"
      "Do I look that old?"
      One bi*ch flat out laughed at me like I was some moron.

My favorite comeback:
      SC: "Do I look that helpless?" (or whatever similar snide comment they have)
      Me: <insert company name> seems to think so!
      WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I would check a customer's credit card, only to find: See ID, CID, or similar written on it. I would ask, and always, always, without fail, the next thing out of their mouth was:
        "Do you know how many people have actually asked me for my ID today?" *sometimes happy, sometimes a bit confused, mostly angry*
        "That would be me, if I'm not mistaken."
        "Yup."
        "Just doing my job."
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

As a customer with extensive cashiering/clerking experience, any time a cashier or clerk checks my card signature or offers help, I thank them with a smile. (I was always grateful for the few kind or cheerful people in my line--emphasis on the word 'few'.) Throw in a genuine compliment or two, wish them a good day (and a short shift!) and most of the time you get a smile and a compliment or thanks in return. It's great fun to offer some cheer and positive energy, especially this time of year when so many are so cranky!

Comment

Where I work its now a requirement that we don't touch credit cards or check IDs, I hate not checking to make sure its the right person but its something about liability on our part. *shrug*

Comment

What I do whenever I get a credit card is that I hold onto it until the customer signs the credit card reciept. While they are signing, I compare what they write to what's on the credit card. Simple. Of course, if there is nothing written on the card, I ask to see ID. Some people will sign the back of their card, and also write "Check ID" on it as well, to ensure that the cashier doesn't sell stuff to a wallet robber.
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

heres a little trick to help with that that i always do for my credit card purchases.

At my store at least I have to swipe the credit cards at the till. I then put their card ontop of my till and when i hand them the slip to sign it i will place their credit card signature side up ontop of the reciept still on my till. Customers dont get their credit card or reciept until I have compared signatures.

I find this an easy way to do it without any hassle at all as it doesnt even look like i compare. I need to place their slips under the till so i just turn, glance at both signatures as they are within view at the same time, and place slip into till. Hand back reciept and card and transaction complete

Granted you still run into the 'See ID' dolts

Me: I need to see your ID please.
                SC: Why!? no else else askes ! Why do you need to se my ID?
                Me: *pointing at credit card* you told me to
                Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Oh, how I hated checking ID.

I compared a signature on a card to the signature on the slip and had to ask the customer for ID because they didn't remotely match. She said, "I decided to change my signature." Yes, which is why I need the ID.

Another problem we had was housewives using their husbands' company American Express. AMEX specifically states that if the name on the card is not the name of the person using it they will not pay. Of course that always resulted in the "But Everywhere Else takes it!" wail of agony and frustration. My belief is that they didn't have credit cards of their own because of their shopping habits.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Department stores *sigh* View Post
                    heres a little trick to help with that that i always do for my credit card purchases.

At my store at least I have to swipe the credit cards at the till. I then put their card ontop of my till and when i hand them the slip to sign it i will place their credit card signature side up ontop of the reciept still on my till. Customers dont get their credit card or reciept until I have compared signatures.

I find this an easy way to do it without any hassle at all as it doesnt even look like i compare. I need to place their slips under the till so i just turn, glance at both signatures as they are within view at the same time, and place slip into till. Hand back reciept and card and transaction complete

Granted you still run into the 'See ID' dolts

I am one of those dolts. I write SEE ID on mine, just so that they know I am using someone else's.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Department stores *sigh* View Post

That happened to me a lot when I was working at the gas station. I always wanted to tell them that I couldn't accept that card as payment since it didn't have a valid signature.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

We need to check boarding passes at the door and some people get huffy. We have to check for date, destination and flight number as SO many idiots get on the wrong plane! It takes 3 seconds but they are so desparate to get a seat!
                        No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                          We need to check boarding passes at the door and some people get huffy. We have to check for date, destination and flight number as SO many idiots get on the wrong plane! It takes 3 seconds but they are so desparate to get a seat!
                          Those folks sound like the ones who will cut in front of you in traffic flying like a madman, only to get caught at the red light.

Sheesh people, 3 seconds is nothing to get excited over. Unless it's, ahhh - doing the taxes.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                            As a regular flyer, I appreciate you double-checking. I'd hate to end up on the wrong flight. Plus, it's nice to know which aisle I have to go down to get to my seat. There's no need to push and shove. Everyone has an assigned seat and the plane is not leaving until everyone is on

Do you ever notice how when they do the first pre-boarding call (for families with small children, elderly people, people who need the extra time to get on the plane etc etc), almost everybody lines up at the gate?
                            -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                            -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth Jet View Post
                              Where I work its now a requirement that we don't touch credit cards or check IDs, I hate not checking to make sure its the right person but its something about liability on our part. *shrug*
                              Nowadays, the consumer has more rights than the merchant when it comes to chargebacks. We aren't required to card people either. The camera picks them up...they usually don't realize this, so the dishonest ones chargeback the transaction, then they're amazed when accounting sends their bank or cc company the mpeg of them standing there buying a $100 auto part.

On the other hand...if it isn't them, the insurance pays us...the real cardholder gets it taken off their bill... and and the person recorded on tape is on our internal wanted list...as well as on the police list (depending on the $$ amount). I think the minimun fraud sentence is 10 years.
                              You have the right to behave badly. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a blog of my choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X