X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music customers are thpethial

Heya - I'm new here
    so, before i started working in call centre, i worked in a CD store. Not a retail chain type store, more a Mom n Pop place. It was awesome.

So anyway, the one day about 10 mins before closing, a very breathless woman comes rushing in, brandishing a CD.
    Here's a rough idea of how the conversation went:

Breathless Lady: I want to exchange this CD
    *hands it over to me*
    Me: *opens cover and lo! no CD*
    Me: Sorry ma'm, we can't exchange this without the actual CD in the cover
    BL: I must have left it in my CD Player! *oh noes!*
    Me: Well ma'm, we're open from "blah" to "blah" tomorrow, you may come in and we'll see if we can exchange this for you
    BL: Can't I exchange it today and then bring the CD in tomorrow?
    Me: uh....no, sorry ma'm, we CANNOT do that
    BL: But I realllllllly want to get this other CD by *artist name*
    Me: Sorry ma'm, we cannot do a return without the actual product - you have an empty CD case.
    Lather, Rinse, Repeat

She eventually slunk off saying she'll come in the next day - and wow, what a surprise, she didn't pitch up!

At the CD store, we had listening stations where you could listen to CDs. Now, if it's not a busy day, we honestly don't mind someone listening to practically a whole CD in one go. They normally end up buying the CD.
    But, when it's jampacked, we put up the "10 minute listening limit" sign. Of course, we were assuming the customers would read it....
    I can't tell you how many whingy teenagers (yes, it was mostly teenagers) would complain about the time limit. Then again, these are the same teenagers that would complain about waiting so long to listen to their CD!

Something that made me go was when one particular customer rushed in, asked for the single for a particularly obnoxious smoochy song, and then stood at the counter copying down the lyrics word for word. uh...dude...never heard of the internet?

Then you'd get the customers who'd assume that you have listened to EACH and EVERY CD in the store. Now look, I did make a valiant effort, but we had well over 10 000 cds. I'd get asked "which CD is better" and the Customer would hold up two CD's by an artist that I've never heard of and would probably never listen to.
    Luckily, I would say "well ma'm/sir, at the end of the day it is a personal choice. I would reccomend you give them a whirl at the listening stations" and that would satisfy them most of the time.

Last, but not least, the guys hitting on me. Yes, I'm female. Yes, I'm friendly. Yes, I'm smiling. However, I'm friendly because it makes customers feel welcome and they spend money. I'm NOT friendly because I'm lusting after your acne-studded BO marinated 40+ year old body. Promise!
    The report button - not just for decoration

Quoth iradney View Post
    Last, but not least, the guys hitting on me. Yes, I'm female. Yes, I'm friendly. Yes, I'm smiling. However, I'm friendly because it makes customers feel welcome and they spend money. I'm NOT friendly because I'm lusting after your acne-studded BO marinated 40+ year old body. Promise!
    That's what I NEVER understood in my short stint as the clerk of a retail kiosk in a small mall.

I'm talking to you because I am nice and you are a potential customer. I am not talking to you because I feel this strange animal attraction! As a matter-of-fact, if this weren't a kiosk, I would ask you if you needed help and run away...but, alas, I am trapped behind here and no matter what counter I'd go to - you could follow me!
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

LOL friendofjimmyk - you summed it up perfectly! i actually had some customers try to follow me out to lunch!
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

exactly why i'm not super friendly when i'm being friendly. for some asinine reason, the creeps think kind=attraction. um, not, loser; you're a potential sale, and while i'm trying not to pass out from your stench, i might kick the niceness to the curb and forego the sale to save my sinuses.

i tend to be more along the lines of snarky/funny; that doesn't scream 'must have you' to the loser portion of our customers, while keeping them in a good mood.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

One time, at a music store, I was going through the used CDs. Found a great one at a good price. Paid for it. CSR removed the security handle and handed it to me (I had said, "No bag, thanks."). It felt strangely light. I stopped, opened the case, and TAH DAH, no CD.

They had to call the manager to handle the return. She then gave them a lecture while she was doing it about always opening the CD cases and checking them before paying people selling their used CDs.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

aww now your just being picky !! how do you feel about a ance studded BO matinated 21 year old (just kidding)
            Last edited by KuzcoLlama; 11-25-2006, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X