This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im sorry YOU didn't plan for this heat-kinda longish

In the beginning of the spring/summer season my store carried quite a few a/c's (both window and portable ones which are WAY more expensive than the window a/c's). Well since the beginning of the summer was a total washout with all the rain and cold right up to the 1st week of July we never thought we'd sell the a/c's at all.
    New England being what is it is weatherwise- we get a heatwave! My store has a huge sale on them, we sell out the window a/c's but still have a couple of portable ones left.
    I've had NO less than 4 couples come in looking for window units and then start yelling and screaming at me that we only have the more expensive ones left and bla bla bla they can't afford the portable ones and we're ripping people off and making them suffer.
    Uhm NO we are not. In fact the portable a/c's are actually a good price now, they used to be over $350 and are now under $225. A couple of people at work bought them and said they work awesome. I even tried to tell people that, but still I got yelled and screamed at. Finally I just told them I can't help them if they are just going to scream at me that I can't help them. I could probably call our other stores for them but since all they want to do is bitch, I just left them to it. I know the heat sucks, and everyone is miserable, butI hate being yelled at and won't listen to it anymore. I only got one complaint but my manager understood my side too.

People know that even IF the summer starts out cool that it doesn't mean it's going to stay that way. Who buys an A.C. during the middle of the summer when more than likely they'll be sold out? Failure to plan on their part does not constitute an emergency on the part of the retailer.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
      Who buys an A.C. during the middle of the summer when more than likely they'll be sold out?
      EVERYBODY apparently. They assumed the store should have known when the weather was going to turn and planned accordingly!!!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Heh. Try working the mobile A/C business.

Here in Los Angeles, we usually have over a month of marine layer in spring, known as the "June Gloom." It always ends right before 4th of July time. Suddenly, everyone decides they need to get the A/C in the car working before the big summer trip.

In May and June, you can hear a pin drop in the A/C shops, but when the marine layer lifts, they are booked up several days out.

You get a lot of SC whining about how they're leaving on vacation TOMORROW and reeeeeeally neeeeeed their A/C fixed.
        Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

And then gads of people return the ACs at the end of summer and before the 90 day return window is up. I really wish seasonal items had a 14-day return policy like electronics.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Actually, considering this summer in Wisconsin has been officially dubbed "The Summer That Wasn't", we've been able to get away with putting off buying A/C units or not getting them until July or whatever.

Before earlier this week, I'd went almost two weeks without using my a/c. We have already set two record lows in July, one in June. We went the ENTIRE month of July without ONE SINGLE DAY at 90 or above. That's right....not even ONE day in the 90s. Two Fridays ago, the high was upper 50s!
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

And I'm glad for it; my current electric bill is $35.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                And then gads of people return the ACs at the end of summer and before the 90 day return window is up. I really wish seasonal items had a 14-day return policy like electronics.
                Even better my store has a no return policy on A/C units for just this reason.
                If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                  Before earlier this week, I'd went almost two weeks without using my a/c. We have already set two record lows in July, one in June. We went the ENTIRE month of July without ONE SINGLE DAY at 90 or above. That's right....not even ONE day in the 90s. Two Fridays ago, the high was upper 50s!
                  Gah. stop it, stoooooop iiiiit >_< The only days we've even had a daytime LOW under 85 this year is when it's been raining all day long. Rgh

As for A/C's and car A/C service...I shop for that in the wintertime...ya know, when it's cheaper...and the guys doing the work won't be so slammed doing it...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                    Who buys an A.C. during the middle of the summer when more than likely they'll be sold out?
                    The same people who, around here, get their panties in a bunch because the hardware store is sold out of snow shovels the day after the FEBRUARY blizzard. Winter here starts in November, folks. Sometimes earlier.
                    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Thatgirl71 View Post
                      I could probably call our other stores for them but since all they want to do is bitch, I just left them to it.
                      Good for you! That was my attitude back in my retail hell days. If they were nice to me, I was more than willing to go the extra mile for them. If they were a jerk to me, they got only the bare minimum required.
                      "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                      ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Here in Washington we were kind of taken by surprise by record heat this last week. Normally western washington gets a few spots of 80, maybe 90 degree weather. This week it soared past the 100s in some areas.

I live on a third floor apt and with the one fan I do own going it was still about 104, 105 degrees in there. Normally, one fan does fine for me in the summer but this was unusual. Of course, when I went to find another fan EVERYWHERE was sold out.

I just had to slog through it...which was fine, though two nights in a row I got about three hours of sleep.
                        My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

We've used the AC in the living room a fair bit the last couple weeks. I can put a unit in my room but I haven't done it. It has to go in the sleeve in the wall; we're not allowed to put them in the windows. Doing so would also require moving my dresser.

Yesterday morning I checked weather.com around 9-10ish, and the temp was 80, which isn't terrible (well, to most people; I hate hot weather), but the humidity was 79%! Luckily we had a massive massive downpour in the afternoon and it's been much more comfortable since last night.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
                            Here in Washington we were kind of taken by surprise by record heat this last week. Normally western washington gets a few spots of 80, maybe 90 degree weather. This week it soared past the 100s in some areas.

I live on a third floor apt and with the one fan I do own going it was still about 104, 105 degrees in there. Normally, one fan does fine for me in the summer but this was unusual. Of course, when I went to find another fan EVERYWHERE was sold out.

I just had to slog through it...which was fine, though two nights in a row I got about three hours of sleep.
                            I was about to post almost exactly the same thing! Last week was so bad around here with people using fans and such that we had rolling blackouts all over town. Man, if I had known that there was such a thing as a portable A/C and could find one I would have gladly paid whatever for it. As it was I spent a ton just going to airconditioned restaurants for dinner every night.

Comment

Gosh, get something BEFORE we need it? Never. We get it AFTER we need it!
                              Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Working...
                              X