This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But I Neeeeed It Nooooow"

A caller from a government agency called to activate her software. She was unable to because she needed to purchase an update first. Here is a snippet of that conversation:

Me: The price of the update is $300 plus shipping and handling.

SC: Oh, I can't buy that. I have to go through channels first.

Me: No problem. I can hold that price for 30 days for you so you don't have to worry it will go up while you get it approved.

SC: OK. What am I supposed to do?

Me: I'm sorry?

SC: I neeeeeeed working software.

Me: You can go back to the old version you have.

SC: But it doesn't work on Vista!

Me: Oh, you have Vista? I'm afraid you're right. [Old version] came out many years before Vista did and it is not compatible with it.

SC: So what am I supposed to do?!!!!

Me: If you update to [new version], it is compatible with Vista.

SC: But I neeeed it noooow. It takes forever to get things approved here. What am I supposed to do? I neeeeed working software!

Me: Do you have credit card?

SC: What?

Me: If you have a credit card, you can purchase the update with it now. Then you'll have working software while you go through channels to get re-imbursed.

SC: You know what? Never mind!

[click]

Me to dead phone: Huh. I guess she didn't need working software so badly after all.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

why, how dare you suggest she use her OWN money. You're supposed to give her the update free for various reasons. Mostly cuz she's speshul, and rules naturally don't apply to her.

Entitlement is a disease. And it's spreading...scary...

Comment

All I can think of is that scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where Veruca Salt sings "Don't care how... I want it noooowwwww!!!!" as she goes down the garbage chute

-Wembley
      Originally Posted by edible_hat
      (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
        SC: But I neeeed it noooow. It takes forever to get things approved here. What am I supposed to do? I neeeeed working software!
        SC: I knoooooooow I shouldn't have completely disregarded the multiple emails and letters that Dips' Company sent out regarding compatibility with Vista, but that was sooooooo far awaaaayyyy.......

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
          why, how dare you suggest she use her OWN money. You're supposed to give her the update free for various reasons.
          While I don't expect the OP to give out a free update, I can understand the caller not wanting to put it on her personal credit card. I know I wouldn't trust my company to reimburse me later.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

She works for the government she should have known to start the process months ago.

Comment

Normally she could have used a 45 day trial while waiting to get the paperwork approved. But she had already used her trial up before calling us. Actually the trial running out *was* the reason she called.

She "didn't know" that there was a deadline for activating, even though there is a message telling her the date it stops working that came up whenever she opened it.

And she "didn't know" that she had to purchase an update in order to activate even though she got a message telling her she needed to purchase an update whenever she tried to activate it.

"All she knew" was that it worked one day using the OK button and just stopped working the next.

A lot of our government and school customers pay for updates with personal cards for expediency. I've even told a few of them that we will take purchase orders and they tell me that they just can't wait for the gears to grind a PO out. So it's not unheard of.

This caller was in a hurry and and couldn't wait. She'd already used up her trial. So I gave her the only remaining option that would get her the software right away.

I certainly understand completely if she didn't want to use her own card. It's just *an* option that is available to her. It's not my fault that the only *other* option is to wait for her agency to issue a PO.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

If her employer's anything like mine, paying with her own money and being reimbursed is also against the rules, so she would probably have had to eat the cost. No wonder she didn't want to.

What she did want was for someone to magically extend her free trial for another 45 days. Too bad, so sad.
                Women can do anything men can.
                But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                Maxine

Comment

Working...
                X