This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone annoyed me today

I've finally found out the downside of sharing a room with my coworker who is completely sweet and I love. We've (whispers so as not to alarm the men) synced. You know, lady-wise.

Sweet coworker has some serious woman issues, she is possibly going to have a hysterectomy and until this happens is in agony every month, as well as it being almost impossible for her to keep clean. On top of this she has a separate iron deficiancy, so heavy bleeding really isn't helping.

And normally I'd feel sorry for her, and try and bully her into taking care of herself. She's the sort of person who'd do anything for anyone else, but forgets her own needs.

Unfortunately everytime she is sick I am also - not happy. I don't have anything bad enough to require medical treatment but I expect to spend a couple of days not feeling 100% and generally wanting to curl up in a ball with my painkillers.

So I'm really really trying not to hate my coworker today. She called in sick and instead of a nice day catching up on my paperwork I got to cover her and deal with the customers all morning.

Tall story

OK - why is everyone so short today. Seriously, I've seen 3 men who I was head and shoulder (+ a bit) taller than. I am tall, and I am big but I don't normally feel this looming.

Stop it. Everyone else - get taller.

A new irrating tick

Just when I though there was nothing annoying I hadn't experienced...

This customer repeated everything I said. While I was still talking about one word after me.

I think my brain broke.

And something sucky from the same woman

Then I went away to look something up and when I returned she was breast feeding. And not at all discretely. Now, while it's just her (and baby) and me in the room any other member of staff could walk in - including the men. The manager for example comes in sometimes if he's looking for one of our appointment folders.

I'm always suprised people treat the rooms as private. We don't get many Islamic women with their faces covered (though huge numbers with headscarves) but with only one exception they've always removed them in the room with me. (The exception turned wanted to know how to complain about cosmetic treatment which had enhanced rather than removed her moustache).

But also - I know I stare. When I was around 3 I first saw a friend's mother breast feed the new baby and I was fascinated. I spent years breast feeding my toys (mainly dinosaurs - which caused some odd looks) and it still exerts a fascination. And now makes me broody.

At the end she took the baby off and leisurely put away the breast...

Yes

So I made a phone call to see if some money had been paid to someone. I confirmed it had been paid.

Then she pulled out a piece of paper with the calculation and payment date and every other possibly useful piece of information on it.

"Does this have anything to do with it ?"

Yes.

Why yes, it does.

In fact it makes that whole phonecall completely pointless.

Then I had to ask the same woman about some of her financial details (for a calculation she wanted me to do).

Me: Do you know how much [A] you're being paid
    ...silence as tumbleweed blows through the room...
    SC: It's paid into this bank account *pushes statement at me*
    Me: Uhhuh, if you had a current statement we could take the amount from there but you only bought last years statements
    SC : Oh

Me: Do you know how much [B] you're being paid
    Me: Uhhuh, if you had a current statement we could take the amount from there but you only bought last years statements

Me: Do you know how much [C] you're being paid

Proof my mind broke

I was typing a letter and typed "I was told it would not be processed as I had failed to include the soup".

Soup = fee.

I am puzzled as normally my mistakes are vaguely cromulent, and I don't even like soup. I wasn't talking about soup. The case was not about soup. No soup.

Even the cat's out to get me

In the middle of the night I briefly stretched out, instead of curling round my stomach in pain, and my feet encroached on the bottom 1/3 of the bed.

The cat's share of the bed.

So I woke up as she bit my foot repeatedly.

I don't understand why she gets 1/3 of the bed, and still spreads herself over me or the rest of the bed. I've threatened revenge - but I know she'll win in the end.

Victoria J

Quoth Victoria J View Post
    Tall story

OK - why is everyone so short today. Seriously, I've seen 3 men who I was head and shoulder (+ a bit) taller than. I am tall, and I am big but I don't normally feel this looming.

Randy Newman for background music?

Short People
    Davy The Fat Boy
    Mama Told Me Not To Come
    Masterman And Baby J

I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Yes

In the middle of the night I briefly stretched out, instead of curling round my stomach in pain, and my feet encroached on the bottom 1/3 of the bed.

Victoria J

That is what happens to me every night with my cat

Comment

I don't understand why she gets 1/3 of the bed, and still spreads herself over me or the rest of the bed. I've threatened revenge - but I know she'll win in the end.

Victoria J
        My three cats do the same thing. They just take their third (half?) out of the middle...
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I feel for you on the short men thing, and I'm only 5'3. I know and see plenty of guys who are barely taller than me.

Whatever happened to tall men, they are so rare these days
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Been there! We actually considered naming my evil cat Bitey for a while, as that's all she ever did/does. For a while I was afraid to wear sandals for fear my coworkers would think I was a cutter.

Comment

Hey Blas, I'm 5'8" in my shoes... and 5'7" out of them.

Comment

6' 4" here. Lurch and Richard Moll were my Heros growing up.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Forgotten annoyance :

I forgot this. There was a terrible terrible child in the waiting room. I don't know which colleague got stuck with him.

One of the admin people gave him some colouring pencils to use - but I said to her that he was way beyond that. pencils only work if they're relatively calm to start with.

This was an inhuman gnashing cry. When I first walked up to the doors to the waiting room I winced and asked whether it was a child or a crocodile. I don't know what a crocodile actually sounds like when it's unhappy - but this noise would sound right to me.

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  6' 4" here. Lurch and Richard Moll were my Heros growing up.
                  You don't need some advice do you ? I need some tall customers so I can feel like less of a giant.

I do like being tall (I'm around 5'10 and a half - without my big boots, which is pretty tall for a woman), but I'm also wide with all the pressure to minimise yourself that comes with that. So a whole day of being around very short men does tend to make me feel a bit self-conscious (but I still like it when old ladies ask me to pass things down from high shelves when I'm in the supermarket).

I had a really short client the other week. I mean around 4 foot or so. I always knew I was bad with faces and recognising people but I didn't know how bad until I intoduced myself and he had to tell me I'd seen him before. I can't think how anyone could be more distinctive really.

And then I felt awful because I asked him to come back with some paper work. In the morning our door is open and people walk in, in the afternoon they have to ring the bell to be let in. He couldn't reach the bell. I came back from lunch and he was trying to call through the letterbox to be let in. I'm kicking myself I didn't think to just give him our number to call - I knew his height, I knew our bell is high. Doh.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                  My three cats do the same thing. They just take their third (half?) out of the middle...
                  Quoth Skeen View Post
                  Been there! We actually considered naming my evil cat Bitey for a while, as that's all she ever did/does. For a while I was afraid to wear sandals for fear my coworkers would think I was a cutter.
                  Cats = evil.

The middle of the bed is definitely worse.

My Pan has actually settled down. She was really bitey. I actually woke one night to the sensation of her mouth closing round my eyeball apparently she was going to playfully bite me in the eye. I worried about what I'd do if it happened again - and eventually thought I'd spend the rest of my life sleeping in goggles. She still occassionaly runs wild, and bites my hand while purring - and while making this hideous vampiric slurping noise. It's very disconcerting.

I'm raised by cats (and my parents), and am absolutely reconciled to the fact that you live your life round them, not the otherway round.

Victoria J

Comment

Tall story

Threadjack...

This story reminded me of one of my favorite adlibs/throwaway lines from the TV series "M*A*S*H"...

BJ has convinced Winchester that he's losing weight, and helping him get is healthy weight back. BJ has been doing this by surreptitiously replacing Charles' clothing. BJ has just replace Charles' clothing with a uniform that is several sizes too small, and when Charles tries his shirt on, it is of course too small.

As Charles leave to start jogging to loose some weight, Hawkeye asks BJ what's next and BJ says...

"Starting tomorrow, he gets taller."

End threadjack.
                    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

One of my cats is an occasional biter...She will sidle up, rub her muzzle on you, practically CRY for attention...then, a minute or two later, she will try to take a chunk out of your hand whilst giving off a 100-decibel PURRRRRRRRRRRR
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My store actually has a RULE that breast feeding mothers are allowed to do it WHEREVER THEY DAMNED WELL PLEASE.

For serious. They could do it at the exit doors and wave to people as they leave if they wanted. We can't do anything about it.

Comment

I was typing a letter and typed "I was told it would not be processed as I had failed to include the soup".

Soup = fee.

I am puzzled as normally my mistakes are vaguely cromulent, and I don't even like soup. I wasn't talking about soup. The case was not about soup. No soup.
                          I don't know why this one did it for me, but I cracked up. A lot.

I feel your pain- I get so cranky I used to drive people around me to tears until they learned what brand of chocolate and/or ice cream will have me purring like a kitten.

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
                            My store actually has a RULE that breast feeding mothers are allowed to do it WHEREVER THEY DAMNED WELL PLEASE.

For serious. They could do it at the exit doors and wave to people as they leave if they wanted. We can't do anything about it.
                            That's silly.

I think women should be able to breast feed where ever they want provided it doesn't cause other safety issues, and they actually have a right to be where they are.* They're only breasts - and seeing them isn't going to hurt anyone, but you run into the idiots who deliberately get in the way just in the hope someone complains. If you wouldn't normally be allowed to stop there then it isn't in anyway discriminating not to allow a breast feeding mother to stop there.

I'm glad my customer took the hint and knew when to finish up but I would have had to ask her to leave when I was finished talking to her - becuase I need the room for someone else.

If this woman had been breast feeding in the waiting room, and then in my room, I would have been less uncomfortable I think. It's that she felt being with me counted as private - it suggested a bond that wasn't there.

Shrug - I know my issues with breast feeding are my issues, and not the fault of the mothers. Stupid body gets broody when my mind knows what a bad idea me and children would be.

*and in a story I think I've told before - providing they aren't eating soup. I've never got over being in a cafe and watching a woman with a baby at her breast eating hot soup one spoon at a time over the babies head. I couldn't stop watching the spoon in a spectator at a tennis match kind of way.

Victoria J

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                              I feel for you on the short men thing, and I'm only 5'3. I know and see plenty of guys who are barely taller than me.

Whatever happened to tall men, they are so rare these days
                              I know how you feel. I'm 5'2". :P Fortunately for me, the Hubster is 5'11", which works out well.

I should introduce you to my oldest (but still younger than me) brother. He is 6'4", 240lbs, 36 years old and single. Owns his own business. And single.
                              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X