This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate sales

This time of year there's a sale for every day of the week. Today our jewelry dept had 70% off diamond jewelry plus an additional 10% off. Now, the customer reads that and thinks they're going to get 80% off the regular price...right? Wrong! It's actually 70% off the original price, then an additional 10% off that reduced price.

Imagine how many times I had to explain that to people. It doesn't click with them so you grab the calculator and go through each step with them and what do they say?

SC: "So, I AM getting 80% off, right?"

Me: "No. You're getting 70% off the original price then 10% off the sub total after the original price has been reduced by 70%."

SC:

So, you go over it again, and again, and again...and they still don't get it. I spent most of my night at the jewelry counter dealing with this stupid sale and wound up with overtime (which is a big no-no) because one woman wanted to speak with the store director. (Who knew nothing about the sale or how it worked BTW.)

Why do they do this to us? Especially when we are so short-handed.
    Retail Haiku:
    Depression sets in.
    The hellhole is calling me ~
    I don't want to go.

Wait, you asked them to do MATH? Are you mad? I barely trust mine to spell their name right. ><

Hell, I'm impressed mine even managed to dial in the first place to get me. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not missing 1 out of every 3 would be callers because they can't figure out the phone or they slipped and hung themselves with the cord.

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
      SC: "So, I AM getting 80% off, right?"
      The math genius that I am NOT - that would be me - It's 80% in my mind. I know, I know, it's not, but I also wouldn't push the issue or even bring it up at all...why? BECAUSE 70% OFF DIAMONDS IS A DAMN GOOD DEAL! Regardless of another 10% or not.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
        The math genius that I am NOT - that would be me - It's 80% in my mind. I know, I know, it's not, but I also wouldn't push the issue or even bring it up at all...why? BECAUSE 70% OFF DIAMONDS IS A DAMN GOOD DEAL! Regardless of another 10% or not.
        It's 73% off.

Imagine something was $100. 70% off of that is $30. Take an additional 10% off of the new price - ($3), that means your item is $27.

From a $100 item, you saved $73 - and because I deliberately chose $100 for my example, it is also 73% that you saved. Which is an amazing deal. But of course, people are going to complain whatever. I would just look at them and say "If it *was* 80% off, wouldn't we just SAY that rather than 70% then 10%?"

Comment

We do the same thing with our craptacular wicker storage sometimes.

50% plus an extra 10 % off.

Not that that makes it sell any faster.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Probably the same people who can't figure out that buying a 100 count bottle of fluoride tablets for their kid at $12.99 is much cheaper than having your insurance pick it up, because they will charge you a $10 copay for a 30 day supply. What? You want to spend more? Oooookkkkkaaaaay.....don't say I didn't explain the cost savings to you....

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              We do the same thing with our craptacular wicker storage sometimes.

50% plus an extra 10 % off.

Not that that makes it sell any faster.
              Could be that a lot of prospective wicker owners either think it's ugly (I've seen some that could double as an emetic) or have cats and realize that this is a bad combo. (I have both factors.)
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                Even at 70% off, the store is still (probably) making a profit. Back in the dark ages when I managed a jewelry store, we had a 300% mark-up, minimum, and frequently 400%.

I don't know what the going mark-up is these days, but I'm sure it still has to be quite a bit.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

To me it is 80%, but I have a good reason for thinking that, and that is because I am not a math genius. But thanks to you guys explaining it, I somewhat understand it. I am being honest, thanks to pretty much everyone here on this board, I understand a lot of things, that I didn't. So to everyone, THANK YOU
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

It depends on the wording.

"Additional 10% off" to me means add 70% + 10% for 80% off
                    "Additional 10% off sale price" is the 73%

I'm not wholly sure but here in the UK the discounts have to be applied to the pre sale price.
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                      "Additional 10% off" to me means add 70% + 10% for 80% off
                      "Additional 10% off sale price" is the 73%

And now it all makes sense to me.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
                        This time of year there's a sale for every day of the week. Today our jewelry dept had 70% off diamond jewelry plus an additional 10% off. Now, the customer reads that and thinks they're going to get 80% off the regular price...right? Wrong! It's actually 70% off the original price, then an additional 10% off that reduced price.

Why do they do this to us? Especially when we are so short-handed.
                        To get people into the store. Without parsing it carefuly it sounds like a convoluted way of saying 80% off. If some store does it your way and another simply says 73% off, guess who is going to get the foot traffic.

Sorry but you have sleazoid management.
                        Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Working...
                        X