This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Ghost Of Christmas Past...

Another distant memory has popped out fo the dark corners of my mind. It's amazing how this stuff just comes out of nowhere when you least expect it. PLus, it happened around the holidays, so it's timely as well!

As I've mentioned in the past, some of my best/worst (depending on your perspective) experiences with SCs involved Nintendo (or video games in general).
    I recall a customer going nuts one day when she noticed the many, many Atari cartridges we had behind the counter for $1.98 or so (this was back when Nintendo was fairly new and Atari was on the way out). We had GOBS of them, and I think she bought one of each.
    Again, she was all smiles and kittens as she paid for them, talkiing about how she couldn't believe her luck! Her son was going to be so happy!
    Some of you may see the punchline already.
    A few hours later, she returns with every last cartridge (all of them OPEN) and expects a full refund because they (drumroll, please) won't fit her son's Nintendo.

Now, it wasn't unusual for parents or grandparents to be confused about the whole video game thing. I had to explain the differences in consoles and the like to more people than I care to say.
    But if you've bought a bunch of games and the first one doesn't fit, why in the name of all that's purple would you continue to open the rest?
    Regrettably, we did give her a refund since the toy store I worked at was forgiving for outmoded bargain basement video games, but she got all haughty while I was performing the transaction saying things like: "You really should make sure people know what they're buying!" and "This is a huge waste of my time having to bring all of this back!"
    Well, pardon us for thinking that you weren't a complete moron.
    We'll not make that same mistake again!
    ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
    "You really should make sure people know what they're buying!"
    Funny, I always thought it was the customer's own responsibility to know what they're buying. But I guess that's just me.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

You know, I would kind of understand X-Box and Playstation games getting mixed up because, hey, at least they're all CDs...but Atari cartridges and Nintendo cartridges didn't even BEGIN to look alike! DOY.
      "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Well, I can forgive the mistake in general. I mean, if you're not familiar with the different systems, it's easy to get a bit mixed up.
        Plus, the Atari carts were packaged in boxes approximately the same size as the Nintendo carts.
        That's where the sympathy ended, though. She was the idiot who opened ALL of the Atari carts before figuring out that (gee whiz) THEY WON'T WORK.
        But it was our fault for not reading her mind and knowing what system she had.
        How thoughtless and cruel we were!

I don't miss those baffling SC moments, but they make for amusing memories.

Don't even get me started on those expensive radio-controlled toys we carried. Talk about headaches...
        Like the guy who tried to return a $150 RC dune buggy caked in mud because it stopped running.
        HELL-O!
        Needless to say, that refund was refused.
        ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          Funny, I always thought it was the customer's own responsibility to know what they're buying. But I guess that's just me.
          Can you IMAGINE the SC outrage if we actually started telling people exactly what they were buying?

"Now Sir, just so you know, you are purchasing a SODA today. It is carbonated, which means it has BUBBLES in it. Its of the DIET variety, so there won't be any calories. It is CANNED, not bottled. Do you possess the necessary skills to use the PULL TAB?"

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
            Can you IMAGINE the SC outrage if we actually started telling people exactly what they were buying?

"Now Sir, just so you know, you are purchasing a SODA today. It is carbonated, which means it has BUBBLES in it. Its of the DIET variety, so there won't be any calories. It is CANNED, not bottled. Do you possess the necessary skills to use the PULL TAB?"

I smell a lawsuit for making the customer feel 'inferior' and 'insulting their intelligence'. Go figure.
            Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

My favorite part about the whole story is how ALL of the packages were opened... as if maybe, just maybe, one of them might magically fit even though the Atari logo is likely pasted all over all of them!
              "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
              -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

"Sir, you are purchasing a Budweiser. While this is a cold refreshing beverage, if you drink too many of these, it may result in some of the following:
                You may have trouble walking.
                You may have trouble talking.
                You may think you are invincible.
                You may think you can sing better than you actually can.
                You may think you can dance better than you actually can.
                You may think that you are far better looking than you are.
                You may think that you are far more charming than you are.
                You may think that women all want you.
                You may think that you can kick any guy's ass.
                You may fall flat on your face.
                You may pass out in the gutter.
                You may pass out in your own puke.
                You may pass out in someone else's puke.
                You may pass out in your or someone else's puke in the gutter.
                Or in a bar's bathroom.
                You may forget what hotel you are staying at.
                You may lose your keys.
                You may lose your wallet.
                You may lose your cell phone.
                You may lose all of the above.
                You may be asked to leave an establishment. Perhaps more than one.
                You may be TOLD to leave an establishment. Again, perhaps more than one.
                You may be forcibly removed from an establishment or several.
                You may get your ass kicked by a bouncer for not following their instructions to leave one of the aforementioned establishments.
                You may make a complete ass of yourself in front of friends.
                You may make a complete ass of yourself in front of complete strangers.
                You may get yourself arrested for a variety of reasons.
                You may wake up with someone you do not know.
                That person might be expecting some money you didn't know you owed for some sexual favors she (or he) performed on you the night before that you don't remember having performed on you.
                You may wake up in another state or country, in clothes you don't recognize, with several strangers who are your new best friends, two tattoos on your body that you have never seen before, one of which tells you your new nickname is "Chico", and a severely empty bank account.

So, you still want that Bud?"

Sadly, most people would still say yes.

Even more sadly, I would be right there with them. So much for truth in advertising!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Soooo......truth in advertising about, say, Dinty Moore stew or hotdogs might result in a cleanup in aisle 5?

Comment

Imagine how long it would take to do ANYTHING if we had to stop and tell customers exactly what they were buying. I am also sure that there would be some form to sign that would clear the seller of any lawsuit the SC would come up with for lack of information...my time at the grocery store would increase tenfold!
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

"Due to more strictly regulated allergy warnings, I must inform you that your egg salad contains eggs."

Once again, it seemed funnier in my head.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Sadly, that sort of warning is becoming more and more common these days.

I saw an allergy warning not so long ago on a bottle of milk. "Warning: Contains Milk."

I winced.

Rapscallion

Comment

I make a point of letting someone know what their buying.

People wanting air pumps are told (nicely) that it will not clean the fish tank, they would be better with a filter.

people asking about guinea pigs are asked if they meant to pick up hamster food.
                          same for straw (as far as I was trained piggies should get hay, never straw)

I know theres others, but you get the idea
                          "...and you've got people. Billions of people walking about like happy meals with legs...." Spike

Comment

Maybe I'm really dense today (been sleeping VERY badly lately), but I'm not clear on the distinction between hay and straw.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                              "Due to more strictly regulated allergy warnings, I must inform you that your egg salad contains eggs."

Once again, it seemed funnier in my head.
                              OH NO! You're not far off, dear. I believe it was a package of nuts that I saw somewhere that said, "Warning: May contain peanuts or peanut products"
                              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X