This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooth Brush Man

I'm not sure how to start this, seeing as how it's only my second post, but I will do my best to make you relive my experiences.

During my last post, I explained that I worked at a hotel as a desk clerk. I'm not sure who has or hasn't worked at a hotel, but those who have should know that it is probably in the top five most thankless jobs on earth, along with sewage workers, telemarketers, and tech support positions.

This is the kind of job where no matter how nice you are to a person, you also have to follow and obey every rule given to you. Then there is every guest ever that expect you to break those rules to make their stay better even if it worsens the stay of those around them.

One of my favorite and most frustrating of these kinds of guests was the man who demanded I give him a free toothbrush. Now mind you, our hotel did not have toothbrushes for sale till maybe a month before this incident. The packages we got were handy little travelers packs that came with the brush, toothpaste, and a toothbrush cover. These brushes only cost two dollars and were very convienient for those who had forgotten their brushes while traveling.

Now we get to the "guy".

He came strolling up to the front desk asking if we SOLD toothbrushes, which to me was an insentive to BUY a toothbrush. I informend him that we just got them in and they cost two dollars. He then demanded that I add it to his final bill.

I have to take a step back here to inform you that the system we were running would not allow me to add 2 dollars to his account. It's not that the system wasn't capable of setting up a charge of 2 dollars, the computer just needed a specific charge be added, like a roll-away bed or a pool party. So I was stuck, I could not add the charge. At the time we were only accepting cash payment, tax free for the toothbrushes, and we were specifically told to charge for said toothbrushes.

His Immediate reaction when I told him that we could only accept cash for the product was nothing short of complete and utter rage. He had an expression that I could only relate to that of the cartoon dog from loony toons. If his eyes would have turned into red balls of fire I might have started laughing.

the guy - "What do you mean you can only accept cash for the toothbrushes?! Do you know how long I have been staying here? I pay over a grand a month to stay here!"

Our hotel was very cheap, we only charged around 35-55 dollars a night in the off season, and only about 85 during holidays and summer.

me - "I'm sorry, but we only just started selling toothbrushes and they havn't been added as a valid charge in the computer yet"

the guy - "Well I don't have any cash on me, it's all on my card. Do you have an ATM?"

me "we do not, however right across the streat the gas station has one and it's open 24 hours a day"

the guy - "I shouldn't have to cross the street to get a tooth brush"

I felt bad, but again I can't just give away product for free so i said

me - "I know it really sucks... I'm really sorry, I wish there was something I could do" (really not being sarcastic)

the guy - "You should just give the toothbrush to me! I shouldn't have to go to an atm to get it!"

At this point I'm getting annoyed, because almost every person I know keeps a small ammount of cash on them, just for situations like this

me - "I'm sorry I can not give it away for free, theres nothing else I can do"

He left to go to the ATM and comes back with an even more frustrated face. He stopped looking like a cartoon and started to look like that drunk guy across the bar who wants to hit you... Think robin williams pirate face.

the guy - "Heres your F@$*ING 2 dollars!"

me - "I'm really sorry" hand him the toothbrush

he then informed me that he's going to tell my manager that I was rude and he demanded he be reimbursed for what the ATM charged him for taking out 20 dollars. The best part was another regular guest saw the whole thing and started laughing really hard and bursts out

"OMG WAS HE A DICK OR WHAT?!"
    that made my night

wow.
    He was an ass.

a whopping $2. so what? I can't buy a toothbrush ANYWHERE for $2. (seriously. i just bought a new one a couple months back and the cheapest one i found @ the drug store was like.. $2.75 or something).

and honestly he's bitching that he had to pay an ATM fee? so what? at some point he's probably gonna need abit of cash so wow he has it now :P.

ah yes the 'fake cheerfulness/having to be polite to everyone' i know it well
    Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

The guy didn't handle it well, but I can appreciate his frustration. I don't usually carry cash on me and most hotels I've been to (and worked at) had complimentary toothbrushes for the guests. I thought you handled it very professionally.

I'm sorry you had such terrible hotel experiences. I worked room service/cashier at one hotel and weekend night audit at another. Night audit was actual front desk work and though I had the occasional hiccup, it was positively...peaceful. The best part time job ever, actually. I did about 2 hours of work and played solitare/watched TV/read & did my laundry (for free!) during the rest.

Seems to me your hotel had a combination of sucky patrons (perhaps due to location or a-holes in general) and a glaring lack of management support, if your first post was any indication. Glad you're free!
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Ieatspoons09 View Post
        he then informed me that he's going to tell my manager that I was rude and he demanded he be reimbursed for what the ATM charged him for taking out 20 dollars.
        So,,,he basically just admitted that he plans to lie to your manager about you...Do your security cams record audio? ^_^;
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Anyone who doesn't have a small stash of cash on their person at all times for emergency situations should be prepared to face the fact that sometimes life won't let them use their plastic cash substitute and it's not the other person's fault they were caught unprepared.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Anyone who doesn't have a small stash of cash on their person at all times for emergency situations should be prepared to face the fact that sometimes life won't let them use their plastic cash substitute and it's not the other person's fault they were caught unprepared.
            I mean, I could understand being that frustrated if your hotel was in Nowheresville, KY and the only ATM was two towns over in CloserToSomewhere. Then being stuck cashless might be an actual inconvenience, rather than an imagined slight.

Across the street, huh? Tch. I'd like to make him go to my ATM. There's steps involved. Lots of them. He might die.
            Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

I agree with that amazing regular - He was a dick. $2? REALLY?

Though in SLIGHT defense of him, I myself rarely have cash on me. But that's because we have vending machines at work, and... You can see where that leads
              Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

If he went to the gas station anyway, he could've bought a toothbrush there, used his card, and not have to pay the ATM fee.

Comment

i feel no pity for this asswad; his lack of packing necessities isn't an emergency on your or anyone else's part. too cheap to shell out $2? looks like you get a free trip to fuzzy teeth land, bud.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                  X