Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speak up so I can help you, BEFORE you complain to the mgr!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speak up so I can help you, BEFORE you complain to the mgr!

Small-ish downtown grocery store. About 5.30pm. Dinner rush. Busy.

Older lady comes into my line. There's a six (or there-abouts) year-old boy sitting in the basket of the cart. She puts her items on the belt. As I'm finishing the customer before her, I hear her mumble, "I forgot the ketchup." I figure she's talking to the kid.

As I start to scan her stuff, she asks me, "What aisle is the ketchup?" I answer her, and give her the total. I figure she'll pay and then get the ketchup and come back through the line (like any reasonable customer would, but as they say, if that were the case, would I be posting here?).

I bag her stuff (4 bags) and leave it at the end of the register as I don't have a bagger, plus the child was in.the.cart. She signs the credit card slip, and I tell her to have a good day. Regular routine.

She starts bitching, "What happened to customer service?! I need ketchup!" I'm like, "WHAT?!" all on the inside. The customer I'm helping quietly says to me, "What happened to personal responsibility?" I smile, "You said it, sir!" I hand him his change and tell him to have a good night.

Lady just stands there, looking at me. The guy moves on, and I help the next customer. Dinner rush. People getting their chicken and subs and sodas and heading home.

Then she grunts at me, "I have a child in the cart!" I look at her. Why, yes, you do. I didn't understand the implication. I nod, and I keep checking out the next customer, getting people on their way.

She starts throwing the bags in the cart, mumbling something, and in a moment, I realize the customer probably wants help taking the groceries out, so I ask the Assistant CSM to help the customer, which she did.

I didn't think much about it, til she's in the next register, telling the cashier, "I want her name. I want to complain about her. I will GET HER!" I look at the cashier with a WTF look on my face. As the old lady leaves with her precious ketchup I guess she reallllly had to have, I ask the cashier, "Why do people have to be like that?"

The old lady takes the manager aside, complaining that I didn't leave my register to, 1.) get her ketchup (like there's not a dozen varieties/sizes), 2.) load her groceries into the cart, yanno, the one with the kid in it.

So I get taken aside to explain that I, 1.) didn't HEAR her requests, 2.) DID get someone to help her out, 3.) and if she wanted me to hold the groceries, I would have, while she got her f'n ketchup.

Manager told me to "Be nice" as if I was purposefully being mean to the customer, but the whole incident REALLY got me -- f'n entitlement bitches.

I mean, who gets into line during dinner rush and expects the cashier to run back and pick out YOUR ketchup?!?!?
    Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

It's unreasonable to expect ANY cashier to just up and leave their till...especially if there are other customers in line. What a little EW she is...And the boss flaked, too. Joy.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

No no no, you got it all wrong. You did not (according to her standards) provide her with great customer service because she is obviously a self entitled bitch who thinks you should ignore all the other customers and bend over backwards to get what she wants because she's too dam lazy to get it herself.
      People with a small child are even worse, as they expect special privileges because they think the whole world should cater to them.
      I have had to deal with customers who get mad when I don't leave my register and help them out. They get even more upset when i call for help and nobody responds, so I'm the one being unhelpful. You did the right thing by not leaving your register because I have gotten in trouble for walking away from my til.

Comment

I'm not allowed to leave my register, like when a price comes up wrong people will say "oh let me take you back there and show you." ...and it's almost always never right anyway. And I tell them so and people get annoyed at me. Too bad.

Comment

I get customers that will hold up a clothing item during check out and decide they need a different size and expect me to call somebody to bring them the size they need. We have at most 2 people on the floor during the day and they are busy putting new merchandise out and don't have the time to come up front and be your personal shopper.

Comment

Then she grunts at me, "I have a child in the cart!"
            this tells me a great deal about her intelligence (very low); there's a reason why there used to be (not sure if there still are) warnings on the shopping cart as to why kids aren't supposed to ride in the basket area...i digress.

i can't recall any store that allows you to leave your till at a moment's notice without supervisor approval; your boss is a twit of the highest order for that comment.

the old woman was simply stupid, entitled and lazy; as bowser stated, having a small child doesn't mean she can't move her ass and quest for the almighty ketchup on her own.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post

Then she grunts at me, "I have a child in the cart!"
              And if said child gets jumpy and squirmy the way very young children tend to do, and falls out because he/she is in the friggin' basket and not the seat, then she'll have a child in the emergency room.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Woman tried to pull that excretement on my daughter (she was cashiering.) Now the store she works for has a rule that employees are NOT allowed to have their friends or parents go through their line (this is for all their branches). It happened that my younger daughter (bi-polar, 15 and a natural dislike for idiots) and I were checking out in the next lane.
                So when the woman complained about my daughter not leaving her (long) line to grab an item off the shelf, before S could say anything, J(the younger) walks over to the woman and looks her up and down. then LOUDLY says ' you look pretty healthy. Why don't you go get it? MY mom is handicapped and she sure wouldn't be such a jerk. She raised us lots better than you are raising your kid"
                Other customers start laughing, a few 'yeah' and 'good point' s are heard and the woman decided to leave the store. Funniest part is the manager (a real full blown biotch) was laughing also.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  And if said child gets jumpy and squirmy the way very young children tend to do, and falls out because he/she is in the friggin' basket and not the seat, then she'll have a child in the emergency room.
                  ...Which would, of course, be considered the store's fault for not stopping the parent from putting their child in the wrong part of the basket
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Fuck her and your manager
                    Part Angel Part Sadist

Comment

J(the younger) walks over to the woman and looks her up and down. then LOUDLY says ' you look pretty healthy. Why don't you go get it?
                      We need more customers like that to stand up to EWs! Good on J!
                      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Working...
                      X